Watch tonight's lunar eclipse online

AdamSmith
This topic is 3184 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If your skies like mine are going to be socked in tonight, here's how to watch the lunar eclipse online.

Supermoon Lunar Eclipse Rises Tonight: Watch It Live in Slooh Webcast

SPACE.com

Calla Cofield 52 minutes ago

In a total lunar eclipse this Sunday (Sept. 27), the surface of the moon will appear to be a deep crimson color, and people around the world will be able to watch the celestial spectacle online.

The so-called supermoon lunar eclipsewill be visible in most of North America, South America, Europe, Africa, western Asia and the eastern Pacific Ocean. But wherever you are, you can watch the eclipse live via a webcast by the Slooh Community Observatory. The Slooh broadcast begins at 8 p.m. EDT (midnight GMT), and will provide views of the eclipse from three different countries, including a stream of the eclipse rising over Stonehenge in England, as well as expert commentary.

You can also watch the lunar eclipse webcast on Space.com, courtesy of Slooh. [Tonight's Total Lunar Eclipse: When and How to See It]

Slooh's tops the list of several live streams to see the lunar eclipse tonightby NASA, observatories and other skywatching groups. Lunar eclipses occur when the moon passes into Earth's shadow. A moon in this position is often called a "blood moon" because the lunar surface is colored red during the event. This is caused by sunlight passing through Earth's atmosphere before it hits the moon's surface.

This weekend's eclipse is particularly remarkable because it is also a supermoon, a full moon that takes place when the satellite is at its closest point to Earth in its orbit (also called perigee). A supermoon eclipse is a rare event: The last one took place in 1982, and the next one won't happen until 2033. There were only five total supermoon eclipses in the 20th century.

In addition, Sunday's full moon is a Harvest Moon, meaning it is the closest full moon to the autumnal equinox. As a result, Slooh has dubbed the event a "Mega Harvest Moon Eclipse."

The eclipse will begin when the tip of the moon enters the outer portion of the Earth's shadow, starting at about 8:11 p.m. EDT (0011 GMT). The moon will reach complete totality (it will be completely submerged in the darkest part of Earth's shadow) at about 10:47 p.m. EDT (0247 GMT). The eclipse will end at about 1:22 a.m. EDT (0522 GMT).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supermoon-lunar-eclipse-rises-tonight-watch-live-slooh-110441890.html

Slooh is ultimately asking for Credit Card info. It's a free trial. Still free, if you want to share your info and then cancel from what I can gather. I'm going to hope for clear skys, but the Weather Channel predicts it will be cloudy. From what I can figure out you can access NASA TV via Ustream with your Facebook account or can create an account. Not sure if there's a catch. Perhaps others can fill us in about that. I am still going to wait to see what actually happens later tonight.

Oh yeah, definitely watch the Slooh re-feed on space.com, not on Slooh itself.

Also Sky and Telescope will have its own live webcast here: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/watch-this-months-lunar-eclipse-live-090320155/

The space.com seems to be directing you to Slooh. I think Sky and Telescope is the way to go! I'm still hoping for clear sky's!

Thanks Mr. Smith!

I fortunately have a perfectly clear view looking out my back porch so other than listening to the expert commentary on the Sky and Telescope website I have a perfect view! The clouds which were supposed to roll in about 8 PM will probably hold off until about midnight. Of course I will turn into a pumpkin by then if not before!

So far there is no evidence of a blood colored moon. However, I'm not viewing it constantly. I'm watching things periodically in bits and pieces. Just took another glimpse and things are progressing nicely!

I fortunately have a perfectly clear view looking out my back porch so other than listening to the expert commentary on the Sky and Telescope website I have a perfect view! The clouds which were supposed to roll in about 8 PM will probabile hold off until about midnight. Of course I will turn into a pumpkin by then if not before!

So far there is no evidence of a blood colored moon. However, I'm not viewing it constantly. I'm watching things periodically in bits and pieces. Just took another glimpse and things are progressing nicely!

Same for me, it's crystal clear here...Are you at the "Southern Command Post"?

Same for me, it's crystal clear here...Are you at the "Southern Command Post"?

No I'm still at the Northern Command Post. However, I hope to be down South four weeks from today.

Incidentally from here things look as though they are almost two thirds on the way to a full eclipse. Looking good!

I'm so sad, it was so disappointing in SoCal. The clouds just would not clear. It was beautiful this morning, giant, just not red of course. I'm grateful for the twitter photos from elsewhere last night.

It was just the opposite here in the NE. Clear sky's last night and overcast today.

Incidentally, there was not much red until almost the moment of truth when the eclipse was at its peak and even then it was more like a blush rosè.

thought it would be really red and bright like in the gee-whiz pictures, but ended up being sorta a dark, faded maroon....but certainly unique

sorry to be a cynical bastard!!

Cynical bastard?!?! Gee and I had heard from a very reliable source that you're a nice guy. :) Heck at least your AZ moon made it to maroon. Here it only got as far as a pale pink.

Archived