Proud.....Unrequitedly

KinkyNEguy
This topic is 3142 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am unaffiliated politically, having been so disappointed by both parties; but this weekend, upon reading of the situation that occurred on a Thalys train I am on several times a year; I was truly overtaken by a feeling of pride in members of our armed forces, both active and reserve...and in general American Citizens. (edited to add in explanation) Despite so much of the rest of the world viewing us with disdain, often with good reason - we often do and have risen to the occasion.

Clearly Mr. Stone should take point on the podium, but all of these men, and the Briton and unidentified French National deserve all the accolades that will attend them in the coming weeks. We all need to take back the civilized world with courage, conviction and kindness.

I am unaffiliated politically, having been so disappointed by both parties; but this weekend, upon reading of the situation that occurred on a Thalys train I am on several times a year; I was truly overtaken by a feeling of pride in members of our armed forces, both active and reserve...and in general American Citizens. (edited to add in explanation) Despite so much of the rest of the world viewing us with disdain, often with good reason - we often do and have risen to the occasion.

Clearly Mr. Stone should take point on the podium, but all of these men, and the Briton and unidentified French National deserve all the accolades that will attend them in the coming weeks. We all need to take back the civilized world with courage, conviction and kindness.

I've just read that the three Americans and a Briton are about to be awarded the Légion d'honneur.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34037580?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Another American and the unidentified Frenchman will be receiving the Legion Award also.

The other American is the guy in the pictures being shown taken out of the train on a stretcher.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/mark-moogalian-damien-a-thalys-france-paris-belgium-train-attack-heroes-legion-medal-terrorist-gunman-sorbonne-spencer-stone-skarlatos/

Gman

American servicemen are well trained and these gentlemen likely saved many lives. Kudos to them and to those of their ilk.

Isn't ilk usually perjorative?

Gman

You might have that as a connotation, but it's denotation is just "and others who are the same."

I realize that. But isn't the connotation probably more common for ilk than its denotation?

I like the word ilk. In large measure because it rhymes with milk. And in the small family of ilk words, ilk is not nearly as dark as bilk but not nearly as shining as silk.

But is it as tuneful as filk?

Gman

Don't think so. Closest thing might be its occasional use, like many slightly archaic or otherwise slightly non-conversational-use words, to give a bit of arch or humorous tone to a pronouncement.

Wiktionary which is usually pretty good gives no hint of the pejorative about it:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ilk

Gman

Don't think so. Closest thing might be its occasional use, like many slightly archaic or otherwise slightly non-conversational-use words, to give a bit of arch or humorous tone to a pronouncement.

Wiktionary which is usually pretty good gives no hint of the pejorative about it:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ilk

I think I have proof of my contention.

http://grammarist.com/words/ilk/

http://www.waywordradio.org/discussion/topics/why-is-ilk-nearly-always-used-pejoratively-1/

https://books.google.com/books?id=YwLiALrHLCEC&pg=PA422&lpg=PA422&dq=ilk+pejorative&source=bl&ots=RnPj6SrBkq&sig=kdLJ8k1odXbRKnTWWkX1Dh19rRI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAzgKahUKEwiNrbzXusLHAhUQJYgKHY6dBDw#v=onepage&q=ilk%20pejorative&f=false

Gman

Yeah. Odd!

I don't like that it has gotten that connotation. I think I shall start a campaign to reclaim it for straight-up use as of old.

I'm sure that Peregrine Moncreiffe of that Ilk will join me. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_Moncreiffe_of_that_Ilk

:)

The main place I've heard it used is by bitchy hifalutin' characters in TV or movies-or read it in books said by the same type of characters.

Gman

I like the word ilk. In large measure because it rhymes with milk. And in the small family of ilk words, ilk is not nearly as dark as bilk but not nearly as shining as silk.

And it is a slant-rhyme with frelk. :eek:

"Aye, and Gomorrah..." is a famousscience fiction short story by Samuel R. Delany. It is the first short story Delany sold, and won the 1967 Nebula Awardfor best short story. Before it appeared in Driftglass and Aye, and Gomorrah, and other stories, it first appeared as the final story in Harlan Ellison's seminal 1967 anthology, Dangerous Visions. It was controversial because of its disturbing sexual subject matter, and has been called "one of the best stories by a gay man published in the 1960s." [1]

Synopsis

The narrative involves a world whereastronauts, known as Spacers, areneutered before puberty to avoid the effects of space radiation on gametes. Aside from making them sterile, the neutering also prevents puberty from occurring and results in androgynous adults whose birth-sex is unclear to others. Spacers are fetishized by a subculture of "frelks", those attracted by the Spacers' unattainability and unarousability ("free-fall-sexual-displacement complex"). The mischief-loving Spacers exploit this for amusement and money — and possibly out of loneliness and a desire to recapture their lost sexuality.

"Frelk" is used as a derogatory term by the Spacers in the story, who nonetheless engage in prostitution by accepting money to give frelks the pseudo-sexual contact they desire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aye,_and_Gomorrah

I think the sentences are clear " ... these gentlemen likely saved many lives. Kudos to them and to those of their ilk." The denotation is of their type and in this case the type is a good one as should be the connotation. If it read Why didn't those fucking guys rip that bastard's heart and send a message to those of his ilk, it would still be denoted as type with the word bastard making it clear the connotation that the ilk is not a good one. The word itself is neutral but if it is taking on a negative connotation these days, it is likely because of people who have negative thoughts about most things and people of that ilk.

• 1 month later...
Sorry if I missed it. Did this hero say he was gay or did he marry a man and that was announced?

Spencer Stone was stabbed (again) a couple days ago during a fight outside a gay bar in Sacramento, his hometown.....unclear if he is gay or not (to me).....he was there with male and female friends.....maybe the gay bar is just a really cool place with nice music and is popular with both gay and straight folks??

Spencer Stone was stabbed (again) a couple days ago during a fight outside a gay bar in Sacramento, his hometown.....unclear if he is gay or not (to me).....he was there with male and female friends.....maybe the gay bar is just a really cool place with nice music and is popular with both gay and straight folks??

Thank you! That's where I was guessing the assumption came from. I believe he was with one other man and three women. I don't see how that scenario means he's gay, even though some might wish this hero is. I'm guessing the gay bar doesn't turn away customers that may be straight. Besides that, some gay bars have better music, people and more than straight bars!

Young people his age are overall so much more accepting than older generations - and good for them. So many don't give a crap the person's heritage, sexual preferences, etc. I see this in young people in my family - I think I was a good person to others when I was their age but I don't think as good as they are. I hope Spencer recovers fully soon and, assuming he did nothing to start the altercation, they find and severely penalize whomever stabbed him. Daily shootings and stabbings, what the F is wrong with people? Our unvaccinated and diseased political employees are contributing to the abhorrent behavior with their vile comments and lack of respect for peers.

I remember going to a gay bar with some straight acquaintances from work once when I was in college in 1985. I wasn't out at all at the time, and I was a total virgin aside from a quick kiss on the lips (no tongue involved-I actually thought Fr. Kissing sounded gross) with the few girls I had gone out with. And while I was curious, I was very nervous too. It really hadn't been my choice I don't think. But one of the women in our group, possibly the only one, wanted to keep dancing (which I don't really like to do either as my gay gene(s) seemed to be missing the rhythm section). And the gay club was the only one that stayed open past the alcohol last call time of 2 AM.

All of us males danced positioned in a circle with the women of our group in the center. We didn't want to give any appearance that we were dancing with other males. I also remember going to the bathroom very trepidatiously as I didn't know what I would see (As I remember I saw people going to the bathroom. Ah if only someone had made a pass at me. It might have kept me from suffering 18 years of virginity after that night). I'm sure we thought we were very daring to go to that club. In later years I rarely ever mentioned it unless the point was to shock people.

Gman

Archived