Murse / Manbag, you carry one?

dutchmuch
This topic is 3287 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Starbuck
I guess I'm used to guys carrying laptop bags when going out after work ...

A metrosexual holdover in the lumbersexual age.

Like this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zQcfafdhALQ/VGo4KAoHuSI/AAAAAAAAJ1M/Nc1LDMKA7Uo/s1600/lumbersexual%2B3.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AY2T81r7UvY/VGo4Ig2f6pI/AAAAAAAAJ00/3dog8C-jQT4/s1600/lumbersexual%2B23.jpg

I think more like this next combination?

http://gearjunkie.com/legacy/images/19985.jpg + http://rlv.zcache.com/lumberjack_style_red_fabric_your_ideas_gym_bag-r92b15871346a46b29c7937c26fd90196_zlocm_324.jpg?rlvnet=1

Guest Starbuck

Like this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zQcfafdhALQ/VGo4KAoHuSI/AAAAAAAAJ1M/Nc1LDMKA7Uo/s1600/lumbersexual%2B3.jpg

OH, MY ... I think this might be considered crossdressing.

Don't do it DM. Not the "man bag" for christ sake. I would go for the messenger bag. Something from LV would be more in keeping with your status.

th?id=JN.0bzx7J00gstzpqITHDcnkw&pid=15.1&P=0

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D9GgemXJEZA/Uh9rvBM804I/AAAAAAAAG-4/1oHKoyxnC_U/s640/Leather-Messenger-Bag-Men.jpg

I LOVE the brown leather bag; clean look, very masc. So what's the difference between a messenger bag and a "man bag?" Is it the handle? To me, the difference between masc and not is more about the styling of the bag. LOL on the LV bag.

:D....but FF is correct, the dye from almost any leather will rub off on light colored clothes. Best to discuss with the sales person. If they are properly trained, they will have that information. ;)

I wear a lot of white linen, so the one stupid black leather bag I bought have forced me to spend big bucks at the dry cleaner. :mad:

Guest Starbuck
LOL, not with that beard. o_O

Not crossdressing in the usual sense, Marylander ... metrosexual/lumbersexual crossdressing: BEARD + BAG.

I think carrying a bag is more of a pain than it's worth, and I'd probably forget it somewhere and lose it. I carry 2-cellphones, 2-card cases, 1-wallet, and miscellaneous keys, notes and other bullshit. The solution for me is cargo pants and shorts! Lots of pockets for everything I carry.. and.. wait for it.. I'll never forget my pants somewhere. :rolleyes:

Unlike Countryboy, i have left my pants behind and my behind was a bit cold when I did. Guess I take after my paternal greatgrandfather who died after jumping from a second story window escaping from an irate husband, at age 93. Or so the family history goes.

Guest countryboywny
Unlike Countryboy, i have left my pants behind and my behind was a bit cold when I did. Guess I take after my paternal greatgrandfather who died after jumping from a second story window escaping from an irate husband, at age 93. Or so the family history goes.

I would have LOVED to meet your grandfather.

Fanny pack for me, an extremely small one (made for children, actuallly), but it's not often I have to put it on my fanny.

I'm generally on a bicycle, and so put it in a bicycle bag. On workdays it gets stuffed into the backpack.

3770252695_281b72fc08.jpg

I'm going to guess this won't even come close to qualifying as a man-bag.

Dutchmuch -- I like your choice. I have really nice an older brown leather Coach bag knocking around somewhere that I used as a briefcase until I realized that it wasn't deep (thick) enough. Then I "borrowed" my ex's black fabric bag (from Land's End or LL Bean -- I forget which) because I could cram (er, fit) more files in it.

Don't let the haters discourage you! Yes, it's a pain to drag a bag around, but to me, these are today's version of the attache case. No one (that I know of) suggested those were unmanly. (Not that I think that abiding by gender stereotypes is a good reason for doing something anyway.) I'm forever forgetting things, but something like this isn't what I forget. It's umbrellas and jackets that it's warm enough out to do without that I forget.

(Though the suggestion of wearing cargo pants/shorts for your excess stuff is a good one. My ex once ranted because the new version of pants he'd ordered before didn't have as many pockets anymore. But cargo pants are sometimes more practical than they are flattering.)

Like FreshFluff, I also like the looks of the second of the bags BVB showed, but I'm not that fond of the flap on it, especially if it doesn't have a hidden zipper as well. That makes it too easy to get at what's inside.

As for the side comments about pink: Until Hitler made homosexuals wear pink triangles, pink was considered the manly color and blue was for girls. You have Hitler to thank for thinking pink is gay. Of course, as mentioned above, feel free to ignore gender stereotypes and wear (and carry) whatever you damn well please.

As for the side comments about pink: Until Hitler made homosexuals wear pink triangles, pink was considered the manly color and blue was for girls. You have Hitler to thank for thinking pink is gay. Of course, as mentioned above, feel free to ignore gender stereotypes and wear (and carry) whatever you damn well please.

I have trouble buying this. Yes, boys did wear pink and girls blue up in the US through the 19ths century. But it's unlikely that the Nazis' use of the symbol affected consumer preferences in any way. IMO, it's more likely that the switch to girls=pink and boys=blue occurred before the war, and the Nazis (believing that homosexuals were like women) responded to it.

Your average post-WW2 American or European probably knew nothing knew anything about the persecution of homosexuals. If they did, they didn't care. From Wikipedia:

"Homosexual concentration camp prisoners were not acknowledged as victims of Nazi persecution.[13] Reparations and state pensions available to other groups were refused to gay men, who were still classified as criminals — the 1935 version of Paragraph 175 remained in force in West Germany until 1969 when the Bundestag voted to return to the pre-1935 version. [...]Under the Allied Military Government of Germany, some homosexuals were forced to serve out their terms of imprisonment, regardless of the time spent in concentration camps."

Even fewer people knew about the system of symbols used to classify concentration camp prisoners. Gay people (other than former camp prisoners) probably learned about the pink triangle when a homosexual concentration camp survivor published the memoir "The Men with the Pink Triangle," in Germany in 1972. This memoir prompted a few other books on the topic of persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany, and prompted the gay movement to reclaim the symbol.

The general population probably learned about the origin of the pink triangle symbol only after ACT UP started using it.

I have trouble buying this. Yes, boys did wear pink and girls blue up in the US through the 19ths century. But it's unlikely that the Nazis' use of the symbol affected consumer preferences in any way. IMO, it's more likely that the switch to girls=pink and boys=blue occurred before the war, and the Nazis (believing that homosexuals were like women) responded to it.

Your average post-WW2 American or European probably knew nothing knew anything about the persecution of homosexuals. If they did, they didn't care. From Wikipedia:

"Homosexual concentration camp prisoners were not acknowledged as victims of Nazi persecution.[13] Reparations and state pensions available to other groups were refused to gay men, who were still classified as criminals — the 1935 version of Paragraph 175 remained in force in West Germany until 1969 when the Bundestag voted to return to the pre-1935 version. [...]Under the Allied Military Government of Germany, some homosexuals were forced to serve out their terms of imprisonment, regardless of the time spent in concentration camps."

Even fewer people knew about the system of symbols used to classify concentration camp prisoners. Gay people (other than former camp prisoners) probably learned about the pink triangle when a homosexual concentration camp survivor published the memoir "The Men with the Pink Triangle," in Germany in 1972. This memoir prompted a few other books on the topic of persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany, and prompted the gay movement to reclaim the symbol.

The general population probably learned about the origin of the pink triangle symbol only after ACT UP started using it.

I knew that in the 19th and early 20th century that pink was the color for boys and blue for girls. I wasn't sure when exactly it ended. I thought people might be interested in the reason why. What I read was the that pink as a shade of red is a vibrant color whereas blue is a calming color. Boys were considered to be more vibrant than the passive girls.

Gman

"Haters?"....seriously?

It's an exaggeration for effect. ETA: "Discouragers" just doesn't have the same ring.

Gman is right about why pink and blue were viewed the way they were. I'm less certain about the Hitler connection (I also thought the change happened a little earlier in the 20th century), but it makes some sense, and I'd just seen it on my Tumblr dash, so here it is.

*thinks about how one would go about documenting when pink became a girl's color and blue became a boy's*

*thinks about how one would go about documenting when pink became a girl's color and blue became a boy's*

The shift likely took years, and like many trends, probably started in cities and spread from there. The best way would be to find mail order catalogs from the same retailer starting in 1900, pick an item type (such as pajamas), and count the proportion of pink vs. blue items for each gender. For the US, Sears would be a good choice, since they started publishing their catalog in the late 1800s.

Also, keep in mind that there's a lot of variation between countries. I think the U.S. is bigger on the blue/blue thing for babies than Europeans are.

Edit: I just found this article, which implies that the shift happened during the 1940s. The book cited will have a more detailed explanation.

The shift likely took years, and like many trends, probably started in cities and spread from there. The best way would be to find mail order catalogs from the same retailer starting in 1900, pick an item type (such as pajamas), and count the proportion of pink vs. blue items for each gender. For the US, Sears would be a good choice, since they started publishing their catalog in the late 1800s.

Also, keep in mind that there's a lot of variation between countries. I think the U.S. is bigger on the blue/blue thing for babies than Europeans are.

Edit: I just found this article, which implies that the shift happened during the 1940s. The book cited will have a more detailed explanation.

Thanks! That was very informative and interesting, although the explanation of the reason for the shift was pretty sketchy. Manufacturers decided? I'd like to know why, especially since, if it happened in the 40s, it happened while rationing was going on. Did that play a role?

Archived