Charles and Camilla mark 10th wedding anniversary. A long romance!

marylander1940
This topic is 3302 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Charles and Camilla mark 10th wedding anniversary. A long romance!

Charles met Camilla Shand in the early 1970s, and the pair bonded over a shared sense of humor and love of rural life. But he sailed off with the Royal Navy without cementing their relationship; in his absence she married Andrew Parker Bowles.

Charles went on to marry 20-year-old Diana Spencer, a union whose fairytale image could not survive real life.

Within a few years, Charles had resumed his relationship with Camilla. "There were three of us in that marriage," Diana said later — although she acknowledged affairs of her own.

Many Britons took Diana's view, vilifying Camilla as a royal home-wrecker. Charles and Diana separated in 1992 and divorced in 1996.

Camilla's first marriage also ended in divorce. After Diana's death in a 1997 car crash, Charles and Camilla cautiously began making their relationship public. Their first public appearance together came in 1999, the first public kiss in 2001.

But there was one more delay. The wedding was postponed for a day so it would not conflict with the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

http://news.yahoo.com/charles-camilla-mark-10th-wedding-anniversary-102714107.html

They both should be ashamed of themselves. Diana would probably be alive today is Charles wasn't such a asshole.

OR if the Royals re-thought protocol and LET him marry the woman he really loved in the FIRST place, well, yes they'd have missed all the good Diana brought to the world, but ALL prollly would have been happier. THEY let her marry a man they KNEW was in love with someone else and assumed that she (like all Royal women before her) would turn a blind eye. But LOOK what came from this tragedy :) A young future King and Queen and family who really seem like they'll be the perfect examp of what the 21st century monarchy should be :)

They both should be ashamed of themselves. Diana would probably be alive today is Charles wasn't such a asshole.

OR if the Royals re-thought protocol and LET him marry the woman he really loved in the FIRST place, well, yes they'd have missed all the good Diana brought to the world, but ALL prollly would have been happier. THEY let her marry a man they KNEW was in love with someone else and assumed that she (like all Royal women before her) would turn a blind eye. But LOOK what came from this tragedy :) A young future King and Queen and family who really seem like they'll be the perfect examp of what the 21st century monarchy should be :)

If was whole different world in the late 70's, as an heir to the throne he had to marry a virgin, a woman without a past.

The Windsor (Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) where the first ones to marry to commoners in the early XX century, it was very advance for that time not to marry your cousin. Prince William marry his College sweetheart, but Prince George will finally be able to marry a woman "with a past". Prince Charles simply didn't have that choice he had to pick an 18 y/o virgin to become his Queen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

If was whole different world in the late 70's, as an heir to the throne he had to marry a virgin, a woman without a past.

The Windsor (Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) where the first ones to marry to commoners in the early XX century, it was very advance for that time not to marry your cousin. Prince William marry his College sweetheart, but Prince George will finally be able to marry a woman "with a past". Prince Charles simply didn't have that choice he had to pick an 18 y/o virgin to become his Queen.

Guess on the UPside had her uncle BEEN allowed to marry HIS non-virgin and stayed King there'd have been a Hitler Suite in Buckingham Palace :)

I am very happy for Charles and Camilla. I was in a unique position when Diana died, and I remember it like yesterday. There are many who remember her as an opportunist. The pictures of her carrying around babies with life threatening diseases never impressed me. Like most of us, she had her own agenda. I was never impressed with hers. As far as the good she did? Show me. Mother Teresa, now that's a beautiful person. Now that's a person with no agenda except to help others!

Guess on the UPside had her uncle BEEN allowed to marry HIS non-virgin and stayed King there'd have been a Hitler Suite in Buckingham Palace :)

The problem with Mrs. Simpson had nothing to do with her being non-virgin and everything to do with her marriage history. At the time, the Church of England did not permit the remarriage of divorced people who had living ex-spouses, as she did. As monarch, Edward was nominally the head of the Church of England and had to be in communion with it. He couldn't both marry Mrs. Simpson and abide by Church of England rules at the time.

Also, the fact that Mrs. Simpson had been Edward's mistress while she was still married -- something that was widely known or suspected -- was something of an impediment as far as popular opinion was concerned, as well as the belief that her main concern was to advance her economic security and standing as a socialite.

That said, what seems to us now some very hidebound religious laws prevented a couple whom history has proved to be somewhat frivolous and without good political instincts from reigning. Whether Edward's alleged sympathy for the Nazis (for which I think there's sufficient evidence, but I can't say I've made an exhaustive study of it) would have amounted to anything in the long run is open to question, though. The monarch doesn't determine policy; Parliament and the Prime Minister do.

I don't see how Charles had anything to do with Diana's death. If anything, inordinate and excessive public interest in her had that effect. The only thing he did to cause that was to marry her.

If marrying the wrong person for practical reasons were the definition of being an asshole, there's a lot more assholes walking around than I'd thought. Some of us either would never have married or would have married much later than we did.

The problem with Mrs. Simpson had nothing to do with her being non-virgin and everything to do with her marriage history. At the time, the Church of England did not permit the remarriage of divorced people who had living ex-spouses, as she did. As monarch, Edward was nominally the head of the Church of England and had to be in communion with it. He couldn't both marry Mrs. Simpson and abide by Church of England rules at the time.

I was just being sarcastic about the virgin part :) Yes I know re the divorced - re-marriage issue oddly STILL the same in my religion lol. And I agree re popular ( or UN) public opinion, technically she was cheating having an affair which I'm sure wouldn't sit well, nor would the allegation she was cheating ON the person she was having the affair with would that have become public knowlege. Re the Nazi's yes I agree, but a monarch can determine public opinion. It's just a frightening thought; no one wants to die or see their sons die in war, and if your monarch's opinion is these aren't bad people and we should stay out of it, it "can" be a powerful opinon bender.

(*you seem very knowledgeable about royal protocol, wondering if you watching the latest PBS Inside The Court Of HenryVIIIth ? Very good. Haven't started "Wolf Hall" the new one, plan to binge on that lol)

Simpson's divorce was the major issue, but her sexual past may have become an issue even if she has not been divorced. After all, Diana reportedly had to undergo a pre-marital gynecological, which prompted Diana's uncle to announce that Diana is indeed a virgin.

"It was 1981. Lady Diana Spencer was about to marry Prince Charles. Then came the intriguing news that the girl was required to undergo a gynaecological test to confirm her virginity. It was Diana's uncle, Lord Fermoy, who made the announcement. ‘Diana, I can assure you, has never had a lover,' he told the bemused press conference."

It's unclear what would have happened if Diana had "failed" this exam. I can only imagine what the wedding cancellation announcements would have looked like.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/511830423-half-cut-cherry-isolated-on-white-background-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=xg8sD9Q1o6A2N11CCgzowLWPs4x5z2qHnnEvyJ5Dl2wRzaOWcVp3OekhuiO5Ws4Z%2FJ41Vz7WK94CGkL%2FCh2KKA%3D%3D

Mrs. Simpson was not only a twice divorced commoner, she and Edward were also having an adulterous affair while she was still married to her second husband. The general public did not know anything about this affair, but it was known to many members of their social class, including the complaisant husband, church officials and government ministers. If the government had agreed to a marriage, the full scandal would probably have become known, and the backlash against both church and politicians would have been seriously damaging to both. If Edward had not insisted on being allowed to marry "the woman I love" and had agreed to continue his dalliance discreetly--as his grandfather had with Mrs. Keppel--he might have been able to keep his throne.

Mrs. Simpson was not only a twice divorced commoner, she and Edward were also having an adulterous affair while she was still married to her second husband. The general public did not know anything about this affair, but it was known to many members of their social class, including the complaisant husband, church officials and government ministers. If the government had agreed to a marriage, the full scandal would probably have become known, and the backlash against both church and politicians would have been seriously damaging to both. If Edward had not insisted on being allowed to marry "the woman I love" and had agreed to continue his dalliance discreetly--as his grandfather had with Mrs. Keppel--he might have been able to keep his throne.
Do you think Edward was really interested in hanging on to the throne???

If I recall correctly Camilla was a Catholic and thus not eligible to marry a crown prince with aspirations to become the next monarch.

Peter Mark Andrew Phillips (born 15 November 1977) is the first child and only son of Anne, Princess Royal, and her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips. He is the eldest grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His sister and he are the only grandchildren of the Queen without a nobility tittle.

In 2003, Phillips met Autumn Kelly, a Canadian management consultant, at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. Their engagement was announced on 28 July 2007. The Queen gave her consent to the marriage in a meeting of her Privy Council on 9 April 2008.

Before her marriage, Autumn Kelly converted from Roman Catholicism to the Church of England. If she had been Roman Catholic at the time of the marriage, Phillips would have lost his place in the line of the succession to the thrones because of the terms of the Act of Settlement 1701.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Phillips

http://photos.geni.com/p13/77/ac/19/e6/53444838d120951c/peter_phillips_large.jpg

This list is outdated, Prince George and his brother/sister don't appear, but Peter Phillips and his two daughters Savannah and Isla appear on it. He's 12th and very soon he'll be 13th. As the eldest grandchild (boy) of the Queen he was born as 5th in the line to the throne, his 3 uncles and mother were in front of him, that ain't bad.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1249878/thumbs/o-ROYAL-SUCCESSION-900.jpg?6

Peter Mark Andrew Phillips (born 15 November 1977) is the first child and only son of Anne, Princess Royal, and her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips. He is the eldest grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His sister and he are the only grandchildren of the Queen without a nobility tittle.

In 2003, Phillips met Autumn Kelly, a Canadian management consultant, at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. Their engagement was announced on 28 July 2007. The Queen gave her consent to the marriage in a meeting of her Privy Council on 9 April 2008.

Before her marriage, Autumn Kelly converted from Roman Catholicism to the Church of England. If she had been Roman Catholic at the time of the marriage, Phillips would have lost his place in the line of the succession to the thrones because of the terms of the Act of Settlement 1701.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Phillips

http://photos.geni.com/p13/77/ac/19/e6/53444838d120951c/peter_phillips_large.jpg

This list is outdated, Prince George and his brother/sister don't appear, but Peter Phillips and his two daughters Savannah and Isla appear on it. He's 12th and very soon he'll be 13th. As the eldest grandchild (boy) of the Queen he was born as 5th in the line to the throne, his 3 uncles and mother were in front of him, that ain't bad.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1249878/thumbs/o-ROYAL-SUCCESSION-900.jpg?6

All this talk for someone who has absolutely no power...

Archived