Bob Jones III Apologizes For Saying Gays Should Be Stoned To Death

marylander1940
This topic is 3317 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bob Jones III Apologizes For Saying Gays Should Be Stoned To Death

Bob Jones III, the controversial evangelical preacher and chancellor of Bob Jones University, has apologized for saying that gays should be stoned to death during comments made at the White House 35 years ago.

Jones, who was the university's president at the time, was delivering a petition to then-President Jimmy Carter against extending Civil Rights Act protections to gays.

“I’m sure this will be greatly misquoted,” he said in 1980, according to the Associated Press. “But it would not be a bad idea to bring the swift justice today that was brought in Israel’s day against murder and rape and homosexuality. I guarantee it would solve the problem post-haste if homosexuals were stoned, if murderers were immediately killed as the Bible commands.”

On Saturday, Jones issued a statement taking back those words.

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/23/bob-jones-apology_n_6921054.html

Bob Jones may apologize. But it's CYA all the way. Promise you he believes his initial statement just like he believes the Apostle Paul typed the King James Version of the Bible from notes provided by Peter, Paul, and Mary. cheers

Bob Jones may apologize. But it's CYA all the way.

Yep. Truth be told, I'd bet it was hitting the bottom line. Some of his donors were backing away from his positions and withholding their $.

"Deep Throat" had it right: follow the money.

Archived