An Appeal to Hooboy

guptasa1
This topic is 7433 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Woodlawn,

This is the best thing I have ever seen you write.

Of course, you are one of the people I skip, so I do not read you. Please, I do not mean this offensively, it's just that you typically derailed after making valid points

And you did again, but the first part was really great and interesting.

Anyway, I hope no one ever censors you since I HEARD censorship is so rampant here....that's what I read, it must be true. And you even presented it as fact, so it has to be correct.

In my prayers tonight I asked the great god Almighty to never let Deej call you Woddie again...and I will avoid the obvious joke about the reason you not wanting to have that as a nickname is because you never had one. That would be cruel and I would have to wring my hands yet again before apologizing. Like I said, it was an obvious VERY OLD joke --- oops...didn't mean to say very old in the same sentence as Woodie.

>I find many, many conservations here boring. I just skip and

>ignore them.

No you don't. So far you have a massive 153 posts per month or approx. 5.1 per day. Save it for someone who will be impressed.

RE: Censorship?

Tinman,

sir, I am sorry but every time you post, in my opnion you are so far off base, you make no sense. Yet you relish in paraphrasing two individuals that carry their own agenda publically against me and anyone who disagress with them.

But if you like aping, that's okay. We have a bunch here and every one is <CENORED BY HOOBOY>. Natuarlly I'll give you their number when I get your check in the mail.

Thank you for your input.

>No you don't. So far you have a massive 153 posts per month or

>approx. 5.1 per day. Save it for someone who will be

>impressed.

You just decreed that you wanted everyone to stop talking in this thread and talk about more interesting things (to you) instead. And yet, here you are, mathematically analyzing the posting patters of other members here.

Don't you have any interesting topics to raise? You were just saying how much you wanted to see interesting posts and interesting discussions - how come you never create, or contribute to, any?

Just read your last sentence in the post this is in resonse to....and one several days back where you say with authority that one must agree with and be friends with blah blah blah...

That, sir is what I meant by you spreading lies and half truths.

And did your lies and half truths get CENSORED??????

Golly NO...

Could that mean Doug69 is a "friend" here???

Well, I ran out of nice things to say.

>>No you don't. So far you have a massive 153 posts per month

>or

>>approx. 5.1 per day. Save it for someone who will be

>>impressed.

>

>You just decreed that you wanted everyone to stop talking in

>this thread and talk about more interesting things (to you)

>instead.

The original post actually stated that, like you, too many in this thread were acting like a bunch of little boys who couldn't get ice cream for their treat. It is HooBoy's absolute right (as I mentioned before and you glossed over) to do what he wants here. So it is time to move on, eh.

And yet, here you are, mathematically analyzing the

>posting patters of other members here.

No not other "members," just you.

>

>Don't you have any interesting topics to raise?

Actually I have begun several and they seemed to be well received. How about you?

TT I know you always like to have the last word to cure your ego so go on. Based on the private emails I have received regarding this thread I believe my point has been made.

I read the first 20 or so posts under this topic and I'm now brain dead. Maybe that's a good thing! :-)

The world is falling apart and it doesn't get this much attention. Sorry, but I feel it's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Now the Bette Midler is a bitch thread! That's a different story. ;-)

>>To me, the bottom line is this. If you have someone making

>a

>>mess in your house, that's hard to ignore; but posters you

>>don't like on a message board are very, very easy to ignore.

>His ideology is sickening, but I can understand how a second

>generation Arab would think the way he does. What else can he

>do except find someone to blame? However, his disgusting

>behavior after the Columbia disaster was just more than I

>could take. He proved himself to be one of most vile human

>beings I’ve ever had the displeasure of running into in

>cyberspace or the real world.

I don't know what you expected from someone of his background. If you didn't realize that there are people on both sides of the Mideast controversy who harbor a deep hatred toward the other side, what did you think all the violence was about? I suspect he seems "one of the most vile human beings" to you only because you don't know a lot of Arabs. Among Arabs in this country and elsewhere, the opinions he expressed about Israel and Israelis are not uncommon.

>I can

>ignore the endless one-on-ones between him and people who

>choose to engage him, but there are assaults all over the

>place.

I've been the target of some of his assaults, and I've read some that were addressed to others. When I have felt like ignoring his posts I have done so. I really don't see why others can't do the same.

>In his particular case, (I’ve got no idea what went on with

>Ethan) the mess that ad rian/axe/whatever makes is so vile and

>rancid, that even though I know its wrong on an intellectual

>level, I just can’t help but breath a sigh of relief when his

>latest incarnation gets zapped.

If that's the way you feel you should stop and think the next time you are about to describe yourself as a tolerant person or criticize someone else for being intolerant. It has always baffled me that gay men can put so much energy into condemning the intolerance of others toward them while turning a blind eye to their own intolerance of opinions that differ from theirs.

>Dear Woodlawn,

>

>This is the best thing I have ever seen you write.

>

>Of course, you are one of the people I skip, so I do not read

>you. Please, I do not mean this offensively, it's just that

>you typically derailed after making valid points

No offense taken. I usually don't read your posts either.

>Anyway, I hope no one ever censors you since I HEARD

>censorship is so rampant here....that's what I read, it must

>be true. And you even presented it as fact, so it has to be

>correct.

Well, if banning ALL posts by a particular poster (like Ad rian) because you disagree with his political views is NOT censorship then I would love to have someone tell me what is.

>In my prayers tonight I asked the great god Almighty to never

>let Deej call you Woddie again...and I will avoid the obvious

>joke about the reason you not wanting to have that as a

>nickname is because you never had one. That would be cruel

>and I would have to wring my hands yet again before

>apologizing. Like I said, it was an obvious VERY OLD joke

>--- oops...didn't mean to say very old in the same sentence as

>Woodie.

If having people call me names on a message board bothered me I would have fled from this board a long time ago. What DOES bother me is the sanctimonious attitude of those people who presume to lecture the rest of us on proper standards of behavior while blithely ignoring those standards in their own actions. I keep coming back to something Doug once said: in a group of people whose reason for gathering together is that they have decided to ignore some of society's oldest and best-known moral and legal rules, one would think that a laissez-faire attitude toward the actions of others would prevail; so why is it exactly the opposite here? If you ever figure that out, be sure to let me know.

>I don't know what you expected from someone of his background.

> If you didn't realize that there are people on both sides of

>the Mideast controversy who harbor a deep hatred toward the

>other side, what did you think all the violence was about? I

>suspect he seems "one of the most vile human beings" to you

>only because you don't know a lot of Arabs. Among Arabs in

>this country and elsewhere, the opinions he expressed about

>Israel and Israelis are not uncommon.

I don’t know what constitutes “a lot” but I know more than you might think. I lived in Detroit for five years which has, I believe, the largest Arab population in the country. I have two very good friends who come from the Mideast – one from Lebanon and the other from Iran. (He’s Persian of course.)

I don’t want to sound like one of those, “Some of my best friends are black.” kind of people. I just mention it because I actually do know and have talked with people from that region. Both of my friends have very anti-Israeli political beliefs, and as I said, I can understand why they have those beliefs even if I think they are wrong.

Where they differ from Ad rian is that they still maintain their humanity. They did not celebrate the Columbia disaster simply because there was an Israeli aboard. They would never have gone to a message board where people were discussing a tragedy and cackled with glee. No matter what they thought of one of the people involved…they still have a sense of decency.

>If that's the way you feel you should stop and think the next

>time you are about to describe yourself as a tolerant person

>or criticize someone else for being intolerant.

I apologize if I have said something that indicated that I consider myself a tolerant person. Actually, I’m very judgmental and it is something that I struggle with. I know we have had conversations where I talked about being tolerated by straight people, but I made it clear that I do not expect to be accepted by them and invited into their homes. The same goes for Ad rian. He deserves to be tolerated by society, but we sure don’t have to hang out with him.

>It has always

>baffled me that gay men can put so much energy into condemning

>the intolerance of others toward them while turning a blind

>eye to their own intolerance of opinions that differ from

>theirs.

Likewise, it baffles me when anyone makes a statement that seems to imply that because we are gay we abdicate our right or ability to make judgments about others. I believe you’ve argued in the past that being gay does not make one incapable of making moral judgments and deeming certain kinds of behavior moral and other immoral. How does this differ from making a judgment about what is tolerable and what is intolerable?

>I don't know what you expected from someone of his background.

> If you didn't realize that there are people on both sides of

>the Mideast controversy who harbor a deep hatred toward the

>other side, what did you think all the violence was about? I

>suspect he seems "one of the most vile human beings" to you

>only because you don't know a lot of Arabs. Among Arabs in

>this country and elsewhere, the opinions he expressed about

>Israel and Israelis are not uncommon.

I don’t know what constitutes “a lot” but I know more than you might think. I lived in Detroit for five years which has, I believe, the largest Arab population in the country. I have two very good friends who come from the Mideast – one from Lebanon and the other from Iran. (He’s Persian of course.)

I don’t want to sound like one of those, “Some of my best friends are black.” kind of people. I just mention it because I actually do know and have talked with people from that region. Both of my friends have very anti-Israeli political beliefs, and as I said, I can understand why they have those beliefs even if I think they are wrong.

Where they differ from Ad rian is that they still maintain their humanity. They did not celebrate the Columbia disaster simply because there was an Israeli aboard. They would never have gone to a message board where people were discussing a tragedy and cackled with glee. No matter what they thought of one of the people involved…they still have a sense of decency.

>If that's the way you feel you should stop and think the next

>time you are about to describe yourself as a tolerant person

>or criticize someone else for being intolerant.

I apologize if I have said something that indicated that I consider myself a tolerant person. Actually, I’m very judgmental and it is something that I struggle with. I know we have had conversations where I talked about being tolerated by straight people, but I made it clear that I do not expect to be accepted by them and invited into their homes. The same goes for Ad rian. He deserves to be tolerated by society, but we sure don’t have to hang out with him.

>It has always

>theirs.

Likewise, it baffles me when anyone makes a statement that seems to imply that because we are gay we abdicate our right or ability to make judgments about others. I believe you’ve argued in the past that being gay does not make one incapable of making moral judgments and deeming certain kinds of behavior moral and other immoral. How does this differ from making a judgment about what is tolerable and what is intolerable?

Ad rian/et al is a second generation Arab-American?? Where did he ever state that? Or do those who state so, know something the rest of the board doesn't know?

>I don’t want to sound like one of those, “Some of my best

>friends are black.” kind of people. I just mention it because

>I actually do know and have talked with people from that

>region.

Well what a "how white of you" attitude. What does this have to do with anything posted by ad rian/et al? And ad rian and for that matter, others of us, don't ACTUALLY know/talk to people from the mid-East?

>Where they differ from Ad rian is that they still maintain

>their humanity. They did not celebrate the Columbia disaster

>simply because there was an Israeli aboard. They would never

>have gone to a message board where people were discussing a

>tragedy and cackled with glee. No matter what they thought of

>one of the people involved…they still have a sense of

>decency.

Was ad rian celebrating the Columbia disaster or only celebrating the demise of an Israeli pilot who was deified as a hero for callously murdering innocent people to advance the questionable cause of the Israeli political agenda? Why is that any less humanistic than those who celebrated that pilot's genocidial tactics against the Arabic people?

>I apologize if I have said something that indicated that I

>consider myself a tolerant person. Actually, I’m very

>judgmental and it is something that I struggle with. I know

>we have had conversations where I talked about being tolerated

>by straight people, but I made it clear that I do not expect

>to be accepted by them and invited into their homes. The same

>goes for Ad rian. He deserves to be tolerated by society, but

>we sure don’t have to hang out with him.

No need to apologize! Most of your posts have more than indicated that you are intolerant of anyone who's opinion is different than yours and it is nice to see that you recognize your judgemental attitude against such people (reinforced yet again by this very post!). Your statements about being tolerated/not accepted by straight people sounds like the railings of a self-loathing heterophobe! Please don't impose those attitudes on all gay people, as they sure don't apply to this gay person!

Tolerance?? What about acceptance?? Acceptance indicates that you are welcome for who/what you are, whereas tolerance has an odor of inferiority/subhumanity/unwelcomeness attached to it.

I want to express my sincere thanks, that there are people out there who feel that they are such superior beings that they have a God given right to JUDGE others. Such judgement is truly appreciated in protecting us from these evil beings and sheltering us from dissident views! All of us are so mindless that we need to have self-appointed judges tell us how to think and act and to preach to us what is acceptable/non-acceptable.

I would rather hang out with someone like ad rian/et al who has his own voice and is not afraid to speak out, than to hang with a herd of sheep all bleating the same song. Counting sheep does put you to sleep after all.

;(

> It has always

>theirs.

>

>

This is a very pithy sentence, Woodlawn, and a quandary I have oft belaboured about.

It's a BIG topic, and one that could keep this thread going on forever.

Although it is a fallacy, this line, (from some rock song) pretty much sums it up:

"No one's pain is as deep as your own."

It is, of course, patently untrue. However, this feeling keeps people spewing miles of bile for ages. There are only about a million examples of it in history, right up to the present.

Because gay men are my own particular tribe, I sometimes have a problem with the views they express. I have gone on dates, or had a conversation with a handsome stranger in a bar, only to find that they are (in my opinion) racist, closeminded to spiritual ideas, misogynistic... and yet they feel that gay white males deserve the benefit of every doubt.

But I do not complain, because everyone has a cross to bear (so to speak).

Each individual's reality unfolds individually. You cannot rush them, no matter how pressing you may feel a certain issue might be. Voice your ideals, but don't expect immediate agreement.

Very few of us are a voice strong enough to combat the Voice of history, and perception.

La Trix

Archived