Millennials and alcohol-changing marketing strategies

wisconsinguy
This topic is 3493 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Statistic type groups are trying to use the birth years from 1982 to 2004 to qualify you as a millennial. So you might be interested in this, but probably our baby boomers who have kids may find it a bit more so.

I was watching CBC news this AM. There were two separate segment, about an hour apart that talked about the millennials First, it was Vegas. The used the words "scrambling to meet the demands of the 20 to 40 something crowd." In addition: "They are coming to Vegas to drink, dance, and send selfies to their friends. They are not interested in slot machines, and card tables." MGM is building one of the largest complexes to meet those demands. Someone else said, "The days of the 50+ group who come to gamble and see shows is winding down."

Secondly, it was the increase in whiskey consumption. Where whiskey was for the really hard core drinkers, the younger groups find it cool.

My question: Have we boomers "taught by example?" That alcohol is just part of life? Nothing to worry about, except don't drive drunk! IF we talk with our kids about drinking, should we not include that one needs to be aware that it is a drug, and it is addictive?

When you consider alcohol fueled accidents, accidental overdoses, chronic alcoholism and cirrhosis, alcohol is indeed a dangerous and addictive and potentially lethal drug that can have major consequences in the lives of those who consume it and those around them. Still, most people handle most alcohol intake well and are lucky when they don't. There are few of us here who don't have an alcohol related story of which we are not proud. So if you are talking with teens about alcohol, you need to remind them of what they already know, alcohol intake is a dangerour endeavor which is frequently mishandled. Rather than take a chance that your number won't come up, why not keep your number out of the game.

When you consider alcohol fueled accidents, accidental overdoses, chronic alcoholism and cirrhosis, alcohol is indeed a dangerous and addictive and potentially lethal drug that can have major consequences in the lives of those who consume it and those around them. Still, most people handle most alcohol intake well and are lucky when they don't. There are few of us here who don't have an alcohol related story of which we are not proud. So if you are talking with teens about alcohol, you need to remind them of what they already know, alcohol intake is a dangerour endeavor which is frequently mishandled. Rather than take a chance that your number won't come up, why not keep your number out of the game.
Excellent thoughts/ideas.

My oldest nephews are 24 and 21. I had dinner with both over the holidays and neither wanted to order a drink with me. The older one on occasion will have one drink; however, the younger one does not drink at all and I suspect may not choose to drink for quite a while if ever.

I think in both cases, they are a little gun shy from the stories of co-eds who go missing after having too much to drink. They do not want to become a statistic.

Guest boiworship08

If what the writer says is true, Vegas may be doomed. I never got the gambling thing, and Vegas is one of the most artificial places on earth and will soon run out of water.

If what the writer says is true, Vegas may be doomed. I never got the gambling thing, and Vegas is one of the most artificial places on earth and will soon run out of water.
I was tying to recreate what was presented. I think it is easy to verify just by going to CBC, and look up the script. I have five children. Of those children, four of them simply do not touch alcohol. Two of these fall into this date category. My youngest, who lives with me, will have a rare beer or two with friends watching a game. No alcohol in the house. They grew up with first line choices. A mom who never so much had a sip. And, me. Won't go over that again.

Archived