Question for MAC users

tanman4u
This topic is 3444 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know MACs were, for a long time, considered immune to viruses because nearly all were for PC based computers. Now however I'm starting to think that maybe mine has picked up a trojan horse as my URL was just blacklisted by Gmail as a source of spam.

Do any of you MAC users utilize protection for your computer or just go it bareback (sorry I couldn't resist).

Trying to Google for info yields many services, but upon further inspection of reviews those services seem to be as bad as the virus/trojan horse, itself.

I'm hoping maybe I can hear from an actual user about what they're using

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

I turn on the built-in Mac firewall, which can be found in System Preferences, Security & Privacy. Also, I use script and ad blockers in the browsers that I use. I think that's about all that I do, other than use caution and discretion in clicking on links, etc.

Here's a link to an article you might find helpful: http://www.macworld.com/article/2855020/the-four-mac-security-options-everyone-should-know.html

It is very unlikely that your mac has a virus. A trojan horse, which is different than a virus, is unlikely also. When these threats do make it onto Macs, they usually get quite a bit of publicity, because the occurrence is so rare. Mac OS X has some low-key, built-in malware protection that is regularly updated as threats are discovered, and as long as you keep your operating system up-to-date, there is usually nothing more that you need to do.

You mention "my URL was just blacklisted by Gmail as a source of spam." I'm having trouble making sense of this. Unless you're HOSTING a website, I wouldn't expect you to have a public URL. Maybe you mean that your "IP address was blacklisted." If that's the case, you should consider whether you're using an unsecured wifi network. If your wifi network does not use a password, or uses the default password that came with your router, then it is possible that someone nearby is using your network to send spam, or perhaps has a PC connected to your network which has been infected with malware.

I go to Safari Preferences/privacy and delete the cookies daily for the sites that I don;t go to very ofter. I then go to the advanced tab and delete plug-ins. Every once in a while I also reset Safari by clicking Safari/Reset. I also do this whenever I get the FBI virus that freezes your computer.

I go to Safari Preferences/privacy and delete the cookies daily for the sites that I don;t go to very ofter. I then go to the advanced tab and delete plug-ins. Every once in a while I also reset Safari by clicking Safari/Reset. I also do this whenever I get the FBI virus that freezes your computer.

Will this delete all the favorites in your sidebar?

I'm wondering if Tanman might have meant his email address as the URL that was blacklisted. Sometimes spam is sent in your name just when a bad guy has managed to copy all your contacts, or even caught your password to some other site (like yahoo, or gmail).

It is very unlikely that your mac has a virus. A trojan horse, which is different than a virus, is unlikely also. When these threats do make it onto Macs, they usually get quite a bit of publicity, because the occurrence is so rare. Mac OS X has some low-key, built-in malware protection that is regularly updated as threats are discovered, and as long as you keep your operating system up-to-date, there is usually nothing more that you need to do.

You mention "my URL was just blacklisted by Gmail as a source of spam." I'm having trouble making sense of this. Unless you're HOSTING a website, I wouldn't expect you to have a public URL. Maybe you mean that your "IP address was blacklisted." If that's the case, you should consider whether you're using an unsecured wifi network. If your wifi network does not use a password, or uses the default password that came with your router, then it is possible that someone nearby is using your network to send spam, or perhaps has a PC connected to your network which has been infected with malware.

The GMAIL reject notice (which takes 7 days--long enough for someone to think I'm just not replying) actually does say that the IP address has been identified, however I found that I could send email from an Outlook account (which I set up in desperation to be able to send emails to Gmail users) to Gmail accounts just fine, just not from ones using the domain name (and I have something like 25 user names under this domain).

I use a fairly secure router but there are other employees here with PCs who also use it and could very well have infected machines.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions.....

Macs have never been immune from receiving viruses. In the past, hackers simply didn't create them (or very many of them) because the vast majority of personal computer users work on Windows machines and more havoc could be wrecked by targeting Windows computers.

I use the Mac version of a McAfee product offered for free by my ISP. It is the same product I used for years with my Windows computer and never had a virus.

The GMAIL reject notice (which takes 7 days--long enough for someone to think I'm just not replying) actually does say that the IP address has been identified, however I found that I could send email from an Outlook account (which I set up in desperation to be able to send emails to Gmail users) to Gmail accounts just fine, just not from ones using the domain name (and I have something like 25 user names under this domain).

This sounds like your domain may have got listed in one of the RBL servers as a spammer domain. (It can happen when ONE of the addresses from that domain gets used by one of the major spammers.) They all have appeals processes and a good cyber-detective could help you, or you could wait it out. Those listings are updated regularly and you'll rarely stay in them for long.

It's one of the downsides of hosting your own email domain.

I use a anti-virus program called Avast. There is a free version and a pay version. I have the free one and have been using it almost a year now. It's being doing well in blocking/quarantining viruses. It can guard against viruses for the entire system including email, websites, etc.

Archived