Cenerentola at the Met: An Aria Encore Friday Night

Andy2
This topic is 2395 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Truly unfair:)

Lulu is one of my favorite operas. I have even seen the opera in Sydney as well as many times at the Met.

I actually like a good performance of Lulu, cast with great operatic singing-actors, especially the complete version with the full act 3 included. Yes, it's not @whipped guy's cup of tea! We each like what we like, @WilliamM!

TruHart1 :cool:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had never previously encountered any such music accompanying curtain calls at an opera. Needless to say it was quite effective and certainly added to the effectiveness of the curtain calls. Perhaps it is something for the opera world to consider in certain select situations. Though please not for the Ring or any other Wagner as that might be just a bit too much of a good thing! ;) Plus, I don't think that it would work for Berg's Lulu either! :eek:

Reminds me of a story - I got to lead a production of West Side Story shortly after I was out of college, in a small (and badly run) summerstock theatre. (I mean, the band was me and 2 percussionists lol - that's all space and the budget could allow.) Now, there is no bows music written for that show - and I think that's appropriate. But the director wanted bows music. She specifically said that she wanted something uptempo and happy for the audience to hear as they leave.

Ugh. Some people have no sense for drama.

So I begrudgingly decided on "Tonight," which served its purpose. But I think it really took away from the ending of the show.

The first Broadway play I saw was "Silent Night, Lonely Night" by Robert Anderson in 1959. About two lonely people on Christmas Eve. I was so young I was pleasantly surprised the cast included Henry Fonda and Barbara Bel Geddes. (I knew Bel Geddes from Vertigo.) But, from then I expected the same level of acting in every play. Not a good start. :(

Archived