Need a date for my Harvard Commencement

Str8boyluvr
This topic is 3622 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your graduation, Str8boyluvr! Can you post part of your speech?

In honor of graduation, let us recall an old Crimson tradition, screening Love Story a la the Rocky Horror Picture Show. According to the sources, it goes a bit like this:

“WHAT can you say about a 25-year-old girl who died?”

That she was ugly!

“That she was beautiful and brjilliant?”

No, that she was ugly!

[Every time Ali McGraw appears]

She's so ugly!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/movies/22love.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

[video=youtube;3EXn0PgJHWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EXn0PgJHWk

Congrats on your graduation, Str8boyluvr! Can you post part of your speech?

Ditto on the congrats! Plus, great thought Fluff! I and I am quite sure that many others here would be honored to be able to view your speech... and especially given its reception... Unfortunately it will be minus your telling delivery, but knowing the occasion I think that we will more than be able to grasp its essence and understand why it was so moving and effective!

Congratulations! You worked hard for it. But I have a question: Didi you ever find someone to "accompany" you? [sorry, I might have missed that in this now lengthy thread.]

My only Harvard "graduation" was finishing my residency, and it was a dinner at the Harvard Club downtown. I had no guests [to me it was a non-event], but I did feel proud.

I and I am quite sure that many others here would be honored to be able to view your speech

Str8boyluvr, if you're concerned and care about your privacy and you would like to preserve your anonymity, you may also choose not to post it in this public forum, but simply redirect your friends privately to that link. The decision belongs to you.

Congratulations, J. and thanks for the recount!

I found Michael Bloomberg's speech particularly interesting:

[video=youtube;Zhfn2zgFFJ8]

[/color]

Very interesting indeed, Steven. I liked what he said about the lack of free speech in today's politics. Brought to mind the rise of right wing parties in Europe (in Belgium, in particular), bent on suppressing dissent and free speech. Thanks for posting.

Very interesting indeed, Steven. I liked what he said about the lack of free speech in today's politics. Brought to mind the rise of right wing parties in Europe (in Belgium, in particular), bent on suppressing dissent and free speech. Thanks for posting.
This a swipe at Mr. Draker?

Str8boyluvr, if you're concerned and care about your privacy and you would like to preserve your anonymity, you may also choose not to post it in this public forum, but simply redirect your friends privately to that link. The decision belongs to you.

Steven, in retrospect I totally concur... However, even though you referenced my posting. The thought of posting the speech was not my original idea. I was simply acknowledging the thoughts of the previous poster. Either way it is something with which Str8boyluvr must feel comfortable, so the decision is indeed totally his.

I agree and, in fact, thought of this after I wrote the post.

Str8boyluvr, if you're concerned and care about your privacy and you would like to preserve your anonymity, you may also choose not to post it in this public forum, but simply redirect your friends privately to that link. The decision belongs to you.[/color]

From what I can tell, the speech was not recorded. I've received a few requests to send out the text and am pondering that now. I need to be careful to protect my identity since some employers and others may not look fondly on my being part of this site. The speech would therefore have to be slightly altered to maintain my anonymity.

J

I really enjoyed his speech and was very happy he took the opportunity to deliver some tough love on this topic. We've become far too polarized as a society. I love Harvard, but there's plenty of things I don't like about it too, and Bloomberg, in my opinion did an outstanding job of addressing a few of them in his speech. He was clearly speaking to an audience beyond Cambridge and not targeting Harvard, but still, I give him a lot of credit for saying what he did. Well done!

Congratulations! You worked hard for it. But I have a question: Did you ever find someone to "accompany" you? [sorry, I might have missed that in this now lengthy thread.]

My only Harvard "graduation" was finishing my residency, and it was a dinner at the Harvard Club downtown. I had no guests [to me it was a non-event], but I did feel proud.

I ended up just going solo. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it might be since there were so many people there. The schedule between events was also so tight that I would have had little time to spend with anyone until the late afternoon/evening.

The only awkward moment was when I returned to Tercentenary Theater to attend the Afternoon Exercises and had to empty my pockets and get searched by security. When they saw the small framed photo of my dog, they didn't know what to make of it.

So then they were staring at it, which in turn caused other people to come stare at it....FINALLY, one of the guards asked "Is that YOUR dog?". Trying to lighten the moment, I pulled out a green Afternoon Exercises tickets and and said, "Yep, and he's covered" as I flashed the ticket.

I have many photos of my dogs on my phone. I do not carry a wallet but if I did I would guarantee that I would have some photss of them in there. Nothing odd about having a reminder of your loved ones, especially the 4 legged kind who rarely text me back. They tell me it is because they have no thumbs, but I am not so sure. One of my dogs unfriended me on Facebook when I refused to give hom scraps off my dinner plate.

This a swipe at Mr. Draker?

I am sorry if it came across as such, but not at all. I am a fan of my fellow Belgian, Steven Draker who always posts insightful comments on this forum. My intention was to thank him for posting the clip with Michael Bloomberg's speech.

• 3 weeks later...

The only awkward moment was when I returned to Tercentenary Theater to attend the Afternoon Exercises and had to empty my pockets and get searched by security. When they saw the small framed photo of my dog, they didn't know what to make of it.

So then they were staring at it, which in turn caused other people to come stare at it....FINALLY, one of the guards asked "Is that YOUR dog?".

Security people can pick the weirdest things to get worked up about, honestly.

I'm glad it went well for you SBL. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Archived