Westboro Baptist Church Founder is Dying (reports of...)

Bluray2
This topic is 3743 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

More interestingly, the article says he was excommunicated a few months ago. There have always been rumors that he was gay. Could it be that he was found out?

In any case, his daughter Shirley seems more media savvy, so I doubt the church is going anywhere.

Several reports are confirming he is in hospice and does not have long to live. One of his estranged sons is quoted as saying, " I hope they don't picket my father's funeral, but I suppose some will".... on several occasions he has spoken out against his father and other members of the family...

More interestingly, the article says he was excommunicated a few months ago. There have always been rumors that he was gay. Could it be that he was found out?

I read about the excommunication too, that was the first I'd heard of it. I'm curious, in a weird sort of way, about what would have caused it.

religious hatred is the greatest hatred known in the history of man....and to call oneself a Christian and have hate in ones' heart???? The Rev. Phelps will not like the God he meets when he passes from this mortal coil because that God is a God of love, grace and mercy! The only ones who will encounter his WRATH are those who choose to live a life of legalism, hypocrasy and hatred. That is why i left the church and organized religion so long ago because of men like rev. Phelps. I wrote seven books on theology in my 20s and a few of my quotes are here: "an organized religion leads to one place: an organized hell!!!" " God cares far more avout what you do with your HEART than with what you do with your private PARTS." " Christ commanded us to LOVE our neighbor but we dont even KNOW our neighbor." http://www.rentboy.com/magicmikey

In any case, his daughter Shirley seems more media savvy, so I doubt the church is going anywhere.

Do you have any links to the "gay rumors"?

BR2

religious hatred is the greatest hatred known in the history of man....and to call oneself a Christian and have hate in ones' heart???? The Rev. Phelps will not like the God he meets when he passes from this mortal coil because that God is a God of love, grace and mercy! The only ones who will encounter his WRATH are those who choose to live a life of legalism, hypocrasy and hatred. That is why i left the church and organized religion so long ago because of men like rev. Phelps. I wrote seven books on theology in my 20s and a few of my quotes are here: "an organized religion leads to one place: an organized hell!!!" " God cares far more avout what you do with your HEART than with what you do with your private PARTS." " Christ commanded us to LOVE our neighbor but we dont even KNOW our neighbor." http://www.rentboy.com/magicmikey

Hatred from atheists can be just as bad or from just about anyone else. Hate is hate, pure and simple.

I have a suggestion for this story and for this man (Phelps). Ignore him, shun him, don't pay any attention to this story or these people. They feed on the publicity and attention we give them. If we stop, they shrivel and die on the vine.

Do you have any links to the "gay rumors"?

BR2

I remember seeing this article, with a quote from an Advocate interview with a former member of the church. Of course, keep in mind that she was plugging a book.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/15/lauren-drain-westboro-baptist-church-fred-phelps-gay-experience_n_2877987.html

But more generally, but what made Phelps so obsessed with gays that he antagonizes groups (e.g. the military) who are somewhat sympathetic to his cause? On some level, Phelps has to recognize that their activities (picketing funerals of soldiers and victims of gay bashing) are completely counterproductive to their goal, which is presumably to push for legislation against LGBT people. Other anti-LGBT groups must hate their guts.

I have a suggestion for this story and for this man (Phelps). Ignore him, shun him, don't pay any attention to this story or these people. They feed on the publicity and attention we give them. If we stop, they shrivel and die on the vine.

Amen. I've been saying this too since the reports popped up. We should all just ignore him.

Amen. I've been saying this too since the reports popped up. We should all just ignore him.

I'm curious, does anyone think that it would be appropriate to picket and protest at his funeral? My instinct is to say no, but I know people who would feel that it would be some sort of justice. I'm not sure climbing down into the sewer with these people is the way to go.

I give my life to postpone enlightenment until all sentient beings reach enlightenment. So the Bodhisattva vow goes.

I cannot hold ill will or hate for Mr. Phelps, for to do so would be to kindle the continuous hate that he so believed in. Rather I only give him compassion, peace and universal love during his passing from this world.

In his next life, either in this realm or another, he will be sowing his Karmic seeds that he has planted within this life. And so this path is not one we may know or judge, as it is not ours.

Rather now, let us use his life's passing as a marker, a signpost, that allows us to ask ourselves: How can we benefit all beings and our world? How can we not cause harm? How can we love and bring peace, where there is none? Can we be compassionate to all beings equally, and may our compassion light the paths of all beings to full enlightenment?

Sleep Mr. Phelps and pass with compassion into the next world. Journey on and far well. Thanks for your reminders of what we must strive to become, compassionate, loving beings.

I'm curious, does anyone think that it would be appropriate to picket and protest at his funeral? My instinct is to say no, but I know people who would feel that it would be some sort of justice. I'm not sure climbing down into the sewer with these people is the way to go.

Not only would it be inappropriate, but it would show that whoever protests his funeral is just as bad as he was. It's not justice, it's engaging in the same behavior. I've never quite understood why some people (I'm not referring to the poster) thing that you can fight intolerance and hate with more intolerance and hate. That never works.

Archived