LOOKING….. who watched it

mmk123
This topic is 3756 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched it last night after True Detective (very good) and Girls (that was the 2nd episode I saw and those chicks are just messed up) and I really enjoyed it. What did I like?

1) the fact that it is shot in San Francisco-I have not been there in years and it was nice seeing the city and that the city is also a character in the show.

2) loved the first scene with Patrick in the cruising spot-I think we have all been in Patrick's situation or in the bearded guy's place

3) the fact that the characters are very relatable-to me they are your every gay people that you meet and I saw a little bit of myself in all of them. They are showing every day life. I am sure we will be introduced to more gay characters who are even more diverse but I like what I have seen so far.

Because there has been only one episode presented, I know that what I have to say is a very preliminary assessment of the show. Things may change and my assessment could change. However, the first episode did not impress me at all. Actually, it seemed to me just another formulaic look at gay life where there are nothing but in-shape, fairly good-looking, 30-year olds who seem to do nothing but try to find their next fuck. (I correct myself, one was - gasp - probably late 40's with the body of a 30-year old). I don't recall an African American character or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Unfortunately, the show was preceded by (what I think is) the far superior "Girls." While, as in "Looking," none of the main characters in "Girls" seems all that likable, at least the dialogue is funny and well-written. I found most of the dialogue in "Looking," at best, dull. I agree with MMK that the first scene was cute but there should have been a lot more of that sort of thing and there just wasn't.

Just finished watching it on my TiVo. Meh. At least Queer as Folk had some sex appeal. Maybe I'm just shallow, but if I'm going to watch a formulaic gay soap opera I at least expect some titillation. Some of the scenes were downright awful, something I blame more on the poor writing than the actors.

It didn't help that there were some continuity issues with respect to locations and transportation that reminded me that while this series is set in San Francisco, it doesn't really have a relationship with San Francisco like the Tales Of The City series.

Me, too...

I had very high hopes for this show. I love Jonathan Groff and was disappointed to see that he was sexier in "Boss" than in this one so far. Seriously hoping it gets better and a whole lot sexier.

"Queer as Folk" (both the British and the US versions) showed some skin. It's friggin' HBO.... Lena Dunham is naked every two minutes. And that would be the reason I stopped watching "Girls".

Have to agree, though, Sunday night is hell on a DVR. Downton Abbey, Shameless, Revenge, True Detective, Episodes, House of Lies, Sherlock, and this past Sunday, even The Following. I have 2 DVRs and still had to record some later.

Okie

The show is the cover story in the current issue of Out. It seems that the creator(s) of the show were striving for a more low-key look at gay life. Taking that into account I would withhold judgment until I see further episodes. The pilot was pretty free of sensationalism IMHO and I for one found that refreshing. I'll watch again.

The show is the cover story in the current issue of Out. It seems that the creator(s) of the show were striving for a more low-key look at gay life. Taking that into account I would withhold judgment until I see further episodes. The pilot was pretty free of sensationalism IMHO and I for one found that refreshing. I'll watch again.

Sorry, not buying it. It starts with someone nearly having sex in the bushes. A couple has a three way. One guy (I'm guessing he's supposed to be "older," like in his late thirties or forty) claims that he was just rejected sexually for the first time in his life. Pot smoking, drinking. I'm not a prude and I'm not suggesting that what they showed was wrong, but I certainly wouldn't call that low key. If they wanted a "low key" show with gay characters, they could have focused more on friendships, work relationships, marriage, raising kids -- you know, the things that gay men do that make us the same as our straight counterparts.

If by low key they meant that they wouldn't actually show any sex, then they succeeded. But basically the first episode was all about the characters' sex lives even though one wouldn't know that if one watched with the sound turned down. Maybe they think they can get a larger hetero audience if they just show gay guys talking about sex but not really doing anything sexual?

In the end, I'm not sure it would matter to me if they started upping the sexy quotient unless the writing also improved a lot.

I think if they would have really "sexualized" the first episode then people would have been complaining that it was showing one aspect of gay life where young gay men can do nothing but have sex, like many did about Queer as Folk. I think it was refreshing that they did not over sexualize it. Yes I do hope that they do introduce characters over the age of 40 and a few more multi cultural characters.

Maninsoma, now that you point out all that happened in the first episode, I take back what I said. Somehow though when I watched it, I didn't think the presentation was sensationalism at all - the show looked like a page out of my life from years ago when I was in my twenties. That seemed pretty low-key to me after all I guess. As far as focusing more on friendships - well, I thought they did pretty well. I've never been into the concept of raising kids so I didn't miss that at all. As far as marriage goes - well yes in California, but for a sizable chunk of the country, that still is not happening.

But I do agree that it would be good to see some older characters who are actually living a typical life with a job, a solid relationship, community ties, etc.

let's just say i watched it and i will withold comment. I hope i end up liking it but the jury is out. I cant watch tv at night due to work so i dvr shows and watch them in the am. I think the cute guy (not sure his characters' name yet) who was rejected by the oncology doctor is a promising character..... as is the older guy who is a waiter.

I'll watch last night's episode tonight, but the first episode was awful. It does have the gay actor from the series Boss, I like him. Nevertheless, I don't have much confidence in it, largely because it's from the people responsible for the Outfest darling movie Weekend, and that was an abortion. I'll likely stick with it for one season, however, largely on the advice of Emily Nausbaum at the New Yorker who says you need to wait several episodes until it gets good. I trust her.

I really liked the third episode, which has been available for almost a week on demand from several cable companies. (it was broadcast last night -- Saturday, Feb. 1 -- for the first time). I have now gone back and watched the first two episodes again.

At only 30 minutes per episodes, it's difficult to place all the characters immediately, except Jonathan Groff's Patrick. After three episode, I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

Unrealistic? I guess that's a subjective thing. I actually find it to be the closest representation of the California people I actually know, that I've seen on TV. That, approaching 40 server, wondering what to do with his life is a VERY real character in my life. So is the lead who is often unintentionally obnoxious and racist, and needs to get drunk to be comfortable with himself. The latin artist with the new lover, having three-ways? I"ve met him numerous times. I'm going to let it get it's footing and hope it doesn't feel the pressure to be everything to everyone.

It has definitely improved from week to week. Love the addition of Russell Tovey to the cast. He was excellent in the BBC's "Being Human". Read an interview in which he said he was "glad to be playing gay" since he is in real life and has mostly been cast as straight roles until now. And the hot latino contemplating being a "sex worker"?? Very interested in how accurately they portray that world.... thought the sex work he met was super hot. And also liked Scott Bakula in the bath house..... have a feeling he will be the one backing Dom in his new restaurant and hopefully in person too.

The dialogue has gotten better, too. Thought the "Thank you for being a friend".... "Get in the car, Rose" from episode 2 was funny. And the chicken is the "meat to beat"... Made me laugh.

Okie

Archived