The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3379 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have you seen this movie and what did you think of?

Storyline

Follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.

[video=youtube;dDY89LYxK0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w

I've seen it. I did not expect much of it at first and was reluctant to go, partly because I don't much like India culturally. But as the film developed, I was drawn in and by the end was glad I had seen it. I don't think it is a very strong story - in fact, almost formulaic. But it is carried by the excellent cast, headed by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. When they are paired, they can bring any script -- even the telephone book -- alive.

I believe the movie was shot in 2011 and it came out last year.

Like BgMstr4u, initially I was hesitant to see it, but once the story unfolded I was glued to it. I thought it was a very uplifting comedy-drama that treats issues such as aging, love, death, the India culture shock. Great cast. I would recommend it.

I loved it! In one of the more poignant subplots, a gay character returns to find the Indian man he had loved decades earlier and left because he could see no alternative.

And one of my favorite lines from this, or any, film:

http://img3.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/50011/1000213294/870/alright-in-the-end-films-photo-u1.jpg

Everything will be alright in the end.

So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end.

An entertaining and fun film, especially if you in the "over-65" age group!!!

It has it's serious side as it addresses the issue retirees face when they are struggling financially, family is distant and they are looking for options to provide them with a safe and secure future.

I'm sure by now the film is available on a multiple array of options (Netflix, DVD, OnDemand, etc...) and will probably soon pop up on cable TV channels.

If you like the creme de la creme of British actresses, Dame Judi and Dame Maggie will not disappoint.

ED

Wonderful film with an amazingly talented, interesting funny ensemble cast in a storyline that mirrors the old Ivory-Merchant films I so enjoyed years ago.

The various intertwining of story lines keeps the movie moving; outstanding performances all around from many who are in the cast of "Downton Abbey" -- they are so darn talented they probably did this as a summertime lark. Yet it is great seeing them in different roles.

I really enjoyed it - there were enough twists in the plot lines to keep me interested. I also appreciated the closeted gay character and his long-ago affair with one of the locals - I found that actually quite poignant. I found a sense of dignity and humanity in the film - i would definitely recommend it.

Many Americans have difficult understanding, appreciating, and visiting India. I have been twice and absolutely love the place. The architecture is wonderful, the colors are incredible and the Himalayas have to be seen to be believed. To appreciate India one has to approach it on its terms not ones own.

I saw the film right after it was released and greatly enjoyed it. It allowed a remarkable ensemble of outstanding actors to pull out all the stops and play their roles to the hilt. I understand that Judy Dench absolutely loved the place while on the other hand the actor (whose name I can't seem to remember) who played the gay retired English judge hated it. The fact is I liked the film so much that I bought it.

Despite many misgivings (and admittedly some prejudices) I was enthralled by India when I finally went there (now over 8 times).

My first real introduction was through two novels" E.M. Forster's "A Passage to India" and two by M.M. Kaye, "The Far Pavilions" and "Shadow of the Moon".

Of course the opera "Lakme'" helped along the way with its haunting melodic lines and the famous "Bell Song".

The aforementioned Ivory-Merchant films were also a great introduction to themes of colonial and post-colonial India (although they mostly concentrated on the U.K.), and then were are modern India writers such as Jhumpa Lahiri (her novel, later a terrific film of Indian immigrants to the US, "The Namesake" is highly recommended) and Vikram Seth.

I would strongly suggest some of these for people who like to travel, and for arm-chair travelers too, and they ar great reads when out for a dinner in a nice Indian restaurant too.

It's not yet the end....

This film is one of my all time favorites. I will watch it anytime it comes on. I never tire of it or the performances. I agree with Lookin about his favorite line of dialogue. It's mine too. There is another line I love.

You look marvelous.

Well, I did join a gym, but it turns out you actually have to go.

As for the actors, my gosh could you ask for a better cast? Penelope Wilton (Isabel Crawley from Downton Abbey) does an amazing job of being just an awful person as well as channeling my sister-in-law. Can't say enough about this film. Thanks Steven for bringing a smile to my face just by opening this thread.

I enjoyed the acting in this film tremendously. The older British actors are amazing. Dev Patel, although actually born and raised in the UK, is a perfect foil to the sometimes defeated attitude of many of the older characters as the young, ever upbeat Indian would-be hotel entrepreneur. A somewhat bittersweet but quite enjoyable movie.

TruHart1:cool:

• 1 year later...

The SECOND Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

In theaters March 6th.....

The movie in theaters March 6th is "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"...a sequel wherein Dev Patel's character (Sonny) sets his sights on acquiring a second hotel property since the first hotel is down to having only on room left. Add to this that he is planning a full traditional wedding with the woman of his dreams and it sounds like it will be very much like the first movie, adding Richard Gere and Tamsin Greig (of Episodes fame) as new residents.

TruHart1 :cool:

Archived