Mary Tyler Moore show reunion

mmk123
This topic is 4073 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I also thought the same about Mary as well. I actually think that Valerie Harper looks 10 times better than Mary does. I wonder if this might be Mary's swan song as well.

I'm really surprised that Mary has lasted. She's only 75 but in such bad shape. She's almost completely wheelchair bound now. And Dick Van Dyke is still spry in his late 80s! I remember last year I think it was when Dick presented her with the SAG award she was never shown entering or leaving the stage ... the lights came up after the tribute and she was standing at the podium -- in pants -- and you could see how she was clutching onto it -- and then when she finished speaking she just stood there and they went to commercial. Apparently, no one wanted her to be seen in the wheelchair.

It literally made me want to cry. It recalled a similar incident to me. I was the guest of someone at the Emmys back in 1982. Ingrid had just died and her daughter Pia asked me to come. She won for her last movie which was about Golda Meir. Well, at the end of the show, the hosts John Forsythe and Marlo Thomas started to talk about a woman -- and I'm paraphrasing -- who was just as important to America as mom, baseball and apple pie and said that woman's name is Kate Smith. They began to show a montage of her singing over the years (remember no one had seen her for several years as she had retired). The montage ended and Bob Hope wheeled Kate out. She weighed around 95 pounds and looked nothing like the very large ebullient woman everyone remembered. Diabetes had completely ravaged her. The entire audience rose, sang God Bless America, and you saw the biggest names in Hollywood literally in tears to see her looking like that. It was both sad and moving at the same time. Hope whispered in her ear, and through tears she blew a kiss to the audience.

It's something I will never forget as long as I live.

Mary is in her 70s and has had diabetes for at least 40 years so she actually looks surprising well considering Valerie has the puffed up look from steroids she is taking to keep the tumor in check and that fullness in the face does make her look better

Mary is in her 70s and has had diabetes for at least 40 years so she actually looks surprising well considering Valerie has the puffed up look from steroids she is taking to keep the tumor in check and that fullness in the face does make her look better

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01/mary-tyler-moore-lax_n_2994038.html

Here's a link to a photo taken last week. I wouldn't call it looking surprisingly well. She's also had a brain tumor in the last 2 years. Her husband is a plastic surgeon and she has been one of his prime patients over the years. Still, it's very sad to see her in such ill health.

Here's a link to a photo taken last week. I wouldn't call it looking surprisingly well. She's also had a brain tumor in the last 2 years. Her husband is a plastic surgeon and she has been one of his prime patients over the years. Still, it's very sad to see her in such ill health.

I think she looks surprisingley well for someone who is in very bad health, which she is.

It literally made me want to cry. It recalled a similar incident to me. I was the guest of someone at the Emmys back in 1982. Ingrid had just died and her daughter Pia asked me to come. She won for her last movie which was about Golda Meir. Well, at the end of the show, the hosts John Forsythe and Marlo Thomas started to talk about a woman -- and I'm paraphrasing -- who was just as important to America as mom, baseball and apple pie and said that woman's name is Kate Smith. They began to show a montage of her singing over the years (remember no one had seen her for several years as she had retired). The montage ended and Bob Hope wheeled Kate out. She weighed around 95 pounds and looked nothing like the very large ebullient woman everyone remembered. Diabetes had completely ravaged her. The entire audience rose, sang God Bless America, and you saw the biggest names in Hollywood literally in tears to see her looking like that. It was both sad and moving at the same time. Hope whispered in her ear, and through tears she blew a kiss to the audience.

It's something I will never forget as long as I live.

I saw that as well...sad and moving are perfect words for those few minutes. Luckily PBS will broadcast Stephanie Blythe's musical tribute to Kate Smith, which was taped at the Allen Room in NY, on April 19. Kate Smith is remembered here in Philadelphia because the Philadelphia Flyers almost always won when "God Bless America" was played before the games. Smith came to Philadelphia six or seven times to sing "God Bless America" in person. I did not post the YouTube videos of Smith in Philly because this thread is about someone else.

No question regarding Mary Tyler Moore's illnesses. It's sad when beloved famous people get old and sick, isn't it? It's possible too that either Mary has an appearance that does not age gracefully or that she has chosen not to do so. When a person takes the plastic surgery route he or she may buy some time at middle-age, but will end up looking freakish as an elderly person. Joan Rivers is one of the better examples, and she looks like she was replaced with her Muppet-likeness. The real shame here is that Huffpost decided that this horrible picture is the basis for an article. "Look, we caught someone famous looking old, without makeup, and in incredibly poor lighting!"

Valerie has the puffed up look from steroids she is taking to keep the tumor in check and that fullness in the face does make her look better

FWIW, there is no tumor. Many cancers do not manifest (at least initially) in tumor form and hers is one of them.

As a long-time MTM fan, I have to disagree here. The woman is 76, she's had diabetes for as long as I can remember, and she is or at least was a pretty heavy smoker. Honestly, as people age they should look different from how they looked at 30. It is a cruel fact of nature but it is a fact none the less. Even that picture of her at the airport - yes, it's true it's not the MTM that I remember - but hey, most of the 76 years I know don't look that good - they certainly don't look like they did 40 years ago. And as we all know, the alternative isn't much either.

As a long-time MTM fan, I have to disagree here. The woman is 76, she's had diabetes for as long as I can remember, and she is or at least was a pretty heavy smoker. Honestly, as people age they should look different from how they looked at 30. It is a cruel fact of nature but it is a fact none the less. Even that picture of her at the airport - yes, it's true it's not the MTM that I remember - but hey, most of the 76 years I know don't look that good - they certainly don't look like they did 40 years ago. And as we all know, the alternative isn't much either.

No, I certainly don't expect her to look 40. I just found it sad how sick she looks. And, remember, she's had a ton of plastic surgery. I know plenty of people who are 76 and who have been ill and they don't look half that bad. I just find it sad. I'm not making a judgment about it. Her show(s) are ones I remember very fondly and I wish a better ending for her than what she is now experiencing.

No, I certainly don't expect her to look 40. I just found it sad how sick she looks. And, remember, she's had a ton of plastic surgery. I know plenty of people who are 76 and who have been ill and they don't look half that bad. I just find it sad. I'm not making a judgment about it. Her show(s) are ones I remember very fondly and I wish a better ending for her than what she is now experiencing.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1065420/thumbs/o-MARY-TYLER-MOORE-LAX-570.jpg?7

I wonder if much of what we are seeing in the “airport photo” is the flash of the camera washing out all the color on the face of a woman with no make-up, no false eyelashes, and with her hair “not done”. If you compare the two photos (July 2012 and the airport) the face is really quite similar. If you imagine the “flash out” of the color replaced with Hollywood quality make-up and the hair with Hollywood quality styling and enhancement, then, I think you would have much the same woman. Let’s hear it for the stylists.

Archived