Cognac

gp0560
This topic is 4141 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What do you recommend for a mid-range cognac? I'm looking for something to use in a Side Car, not for the best sipping experience. The recipe I plan to use is three parts cognac, two parts Cointreau, and one part lemon juice.

My recipe for margaritas is the same, with tequila in place of the cognac and, of course, lime instead of lemon. To give you an idea of what I mean by "mid-range," I use 1800 Silver in the margarita.

OK, have at it, all you connoisseurs. I can't wait for the barrage of conflicting recommendations and recipes.

What do you recommend for a mid-range cognac? I'm looking for something to use in a Side Car, not for the best sipping experience. The recipe I plan to use is three parts cognac, two parts Cointreau, and one part lemon juice.

My recipe for margaritas is the same, with tequila in place of the cognac and, of course, lime instead of lemon. To give you an idea of what I mean by "mid-range," I use 1800 Silver in the margarita.

OK, have at it, all you connoisseurs. I can't wait for the barrage of conflicting recommendations and recipes.

I'm a Remy kinda guy....

I have enjoyed Hennessy for so many years I don't want to think about it. :)

May I suggest drinking it "Latvian style"? One shot of Hennessy + one cross section of lemon, covered with a scant teaspoon of sugar. Take the Hennessy straight down and then eat/swallow the lemon/sugar in one go. Amazing. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Let's see, Hennessey, Remy Martin, Martell, Courvoisier. Hmm, sounds as if a taste test is in order. Y'all come on over, I'll get a case of each, we'll set up some blind taste tests. Might be a better way to spend Super Bowl Sunday than staring at the tube. After enough testing, we won't be seeing anything clearly anyway.

Next questions: I have a friend who maintains that Grand Marnier is better than Cointreau. Your thoughts?

How many purists do we have here who need to squeeze their own lemons rather than use Real Lemon?

You are correct about the taste test. I once knew someone who prided himself on shopping for the best deal in cognac. By that he meant the cheapest price for something drinkable. He found some pretty good deals but I wonder how much his liver suffered in his quest. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Costco carries Hennessy so that's what I have on hand right now.

I use only lemons from my own lemon tree.

Branches from the neighbor's lemon tree hang over the fence between our properties. It's almost like a personal delivery service. :cool:

Archived