"411"

newatthis
This topic is 4291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The directory assistance service of both Sprint and Verizon Wireless are accessed by calling "411." I usually use Google to locate phone numbers. These days, I use directory assistance only when a Google listing or the company's web site does not allow me to click a link to dial the number. Directory assistance will connect the call for me.

I seem to recall (but can't find it now) phone carriers are still required to respond to both 411 and 911, although 911 may or may not be routed to your local emergency center (requires registration in some areas for mobile and VOIP numbers) and 411 may get routed to a pay-per-call service.

They've all also pretty universally settled on 611 for customer service, and some locales are implementing 511 for non-emergency services (loud neighbors, barking dogs, etc.)

With today's technology adoption trends, I doubt 411 will go anywhere any time soon. You and I may find Google a better alternative, but not everyone has an internet connection.

I haven't seen a more recent than 2005 graph on technology adoption, but it's pretty cool to study:

http://www.dfapam.com/pics/productadoption.gif

More people have cellphones than washing machines, but it's still not 100% and a lot of them are not smartphones.

I remember party lines where you shared an outgoing copper wire and could listen to your neighbours conversations. They don't exist anymore, replaced by dacs (digital line sharing) in remote areas where there isn't enough wires, which you're unable to snoop on lol

In the UK, we still had rotary dial phones issued by the phone company until the late 80's, I have three old dial phones but none are plugged into any phone sockets because I don't use a home phone line anymore, I have no need for one.

When my mother sold her house in 2001, she had to have the phone company come out to uninstall the two hard-wired rotary phones they'd installed when my parents bought the house 40+ years earlier. The next owner had to have modular jacks installed because the house didn't have any.

I suspect if that happened today, the new owner might just skip it and use cellular service. The house would've skipped the entire era of the RJ-11 jack.

My Volkswagen had to be parked on a hill so I could pop the clutch to get it started.

My first and by far favorite car was a used VW Squareback. The engine was in the back and that entire front section where it looks like the engine would be was open storage. The window washer fluid was propelled by drawing air from the spare tire.

http://www.autofiends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/square.jpg

Kevin Slater

The Phone Company (AT&T and its derivatives) have to maintain the "dial" system.

Yes, British Telecom do here, as do Sky, Virgin Cable etc who also provide phone services. I have vonage as my home phone now, it's half the price of the mainstream companies and includes free calls to most countries of the world within the line rental. The quality is as good a a conventional phone and the bonus is that you can plug any conventional phone into it but they don't support pulse dialling.

Young squits, all of you! Who else besides me remembers... butter rationing...

My mom tells me that when margarine first came out, it was pale white with a little red tab in it that you had to stir together to make it look more butter colored. Something about the butter industry making damn sure you knew it wasn't real butter you were using.

Kevin Slater

Young squits, all of you! Who else besides me remembers three-cent stamps, red and blue tax tokens, butter rationing, and candlestick phones?

When I was a child, our phone was a candlestick model, that stood on a little table in the living room at the foot of the stairs , so someone could get to it if it rang while everyone was upstairs (answering machines hadn't been invented). Our phone number was HAckensack 4657. There were four houses on our party line.

My mom tells me that when margarine first came out, it was pale white with a little red tab in it that you had to stir together to make it look more butter colored. Something about the butter industry making damn sure you knew it wasn't real butter you were using.

Kevin Slater

I thought they only did that in Wisconsin. The Dairy State?

Kevin Slater

We had this in Michigan, too. It was my job to keep squishing the plastic bag to get the color evenly distributed.

The way I heard the story about the coloring requirement was that it was started by the state of Wisconsin to support the dairy industry. One state senator boasted that he could always tell the taste difference between butter and margarine. That ended on the day of the blind taste test!

Kevin Slater

My dad told me that margarine (or "oleomargarine," as it was referred to back then) was not initially sold in Wisconsin due to the dairy industry's influence in that state.

Archived