Earthquake Swarm Hits SOCAL

Lucky
This topic is 4337 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

More than 70 earthquakes have registered on seismographs in Southern California today. The largest has been a 5.4, which was felt as far north as Palm Desert. The first quake, a 3.8, hit at 10:02 a.m. The town of Brawley seems to be at the epicenter, but no serious damage has been recorded. But, the last quake hit just 42 minutes ago, so they may not be done yet. Brawley is just north of the border with Mexico.

"We're always concerned where there is significant seismic activity because that means there is a higher probability of having more seismic activity," said Thomas Jordan, of the Southern California Earthquake Center as he rushed his family into a waiting SUV to flee the state. Oops, no, that part I made up. I am sure he feels unthreatened and will wait for the big one to hit. Just like the rest of us!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/70-earthquakes-california-border-buildings-damaged.html

Actually, the big one is inevitable but can't be predicted. The Pacific rim is called the ring of fire for a reason. :)

There are multiple quakes in CA every day of the year, but most of them occur in sparsely populated areas, and most of them wouldn't be noticed even if you were standing on top of them. Swarms aren't even that uncommon.

This swarm included a 5.4, which could do some real damage in a populated area. Or in an area that doesn't often have quakes.

Didn't feel a thing, but then again I have been sipping on a nice glass of Merlot. Hope you guys are ok...they say that your area has a 'high probability' (whatever that means) of having a significant Earthquake within the next 100 years. Higher than the Bay area. This according to the History Channel. While I don't remember the exact figures, but apparently the ground should be moving an inch a year? and it is not. I tried to find the episode, but it alludes me. After going through two major quakes in SoCal including the 'Northridge quake" we joke, but it is serious stuff.

They are now up to 300 quakes. The quakes have luckily not reached Los Angeles.

An “earthquake storm” continued to rattle Imperial County on Sunday, with the region experiencing about 300 temblors throughout the day but causing little damage.

The majority of the quakes were low-intensity, but two reached magnitudes above 5.0 -- 5.3 and 5.5 respectively -- early in the afternoon.

"Obviously, all this activity is related or interconnected, but it doesn't really follow the typical main shock, aftershock activity," said Rob Graves, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological survey.

Such earthquake storms are not unprecedented or unusual in that region. (LATimes)

5.0...5.3 and 5.5 is not something to take lightly. Not to alarm you, but certain precautions should be taken. This goes for anyone living in California. As an example, valuables anchored in the house, car full of gas, cash on hand, and the usual stash of food, (including extra pet food) flashlights, batteries, water etc. We are not feeling it up here in LA. Keep us posted.

Cause of Swarm

There is no truth to the rumor that the movement of the earth was caused by the massive 1/4 billion dollar upgrade of player personnel for the Los Angeles Dodgers. It IS true however that the swarm was caused by the new owners of the Dodgers giving a lethal hip check to the old owner Frank McCourt.:cool:

With no disrespect meant to the OP, it is nice to finally be able to say that the best baseball team money can buy is no longer on the east coast.:D

Just remember this, jackhammer. Boston was pretty excited too when they got Adrian Gonzalez. We saw what happened to that. And Josh Beckett? Be sure to have lots of beer in the clubhouse!

I don't think anyone in baseball doesn't believe that the Dodgers got suckered on this trade.

Archived