Men's shaving habits and TV shows

dannyboynyc
This topic is 4447 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Once upon a time, it seemed most guys would shave every day (at least, every work day). Over the last few years the unshaven - or, grunge - look, seems to have gotten popular. Personally, I've never liked this look. As hot as Josh Henderson is, on Dallas, he looked like a teenager. Guys who can't grow a beard, mustache or goatee should just shave, IMHO.

I've been noticing how this trend has affected TV shows. Obviously, scenes that appear to be a series of events over the course of an hour probably are taped over several days. I was watching an episode of the new Hawaii 5-0 the other day and caught something which was truly ridiculous. The first scene started at a high class - high cost fundraiser. One of the characters looked like he had not shaved in 3 or 4 days. At a minimum, when in formal dress mode, the guy should have shaved. The next scene was in some hotel work room - a kitchen or something - and this same guy was suddenly clean shaven, although the show's "elapsed time" was about 10 minutes. As the show continued, the next scene, 30 minutes later, this same guy had a one day beard growth. I kept wondering why the show's editors or whomever is in charge didn't catch this?? I've seen the same thing on other TV shows, but this is the most blatant example I've recently seen.

This seems like a little detail that should be easy to fix. Or, do most people not notice this?

While I don't look for these types of inconsistencies, if my eye picks it up I am distracted from following the story line. For example, seeing a car chase with a bumper falling off, but 10 seconds later it is there again.

I pick these up too. Though I haven't noticed the beard inconsistencies, I've noticed on a couple of occasions things like cars, decor etc changing between scenes or even within scenes, just different camera angles. The other day I was watching a show and a car changed models from one scene to the next. And if you watch the

you'll see the car change from 2 doors to 4 doors midway though the video. Or is is 4 doors to 2? Maybe they wrecked the first car and had to get another.

I have lately gotten hooked with Matt Bomer's character on WHITE COLLAR, and find the scruff often a bit odd (for me) as he dresses impeccably in suits and ties, but then - there is something about his facial hair that adds to his masculinity and sexiness all at once. The facial hair also offsets his endearing (boyish?) smile. There are times he does appear completely clean shaven, and other times he sports the scruff. Somehow, though, on Matt, scruff or shaven, he is a handsome guy who loks much younger than his real age, and who loks great in anything he wears.

I have lately gotten hooked with Matt Bomer's character on WHITE COLLAR, and find the scruff often a bit odd (for me) as he dresses impeccably in suits and ties, but then - there is something about his facial hair that adds to his masculinity and sexiness all at once. The facial hair also offsets his endearing (boyish?) smile. There are times he does appear completely clean shaven, and other times he sports the scruff. Somehow, though, on Matt, scruff or shaven, he is a handsome guy who loks much younger than his real age, and who loks great in anything he wears.

Indubidably...;)

Archived