What on Earth Has Happened to Key West

rocky
This topic is 4442 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't like saying, "I remember the days" but really, what has happened to Key West. Will be spending some time there then Lauderdale but almost said why KW? The Gay guesthouses are either run down, for sale or turned straight, sorry but I miss the Lighthouse Court in its hey day. Strippers, guess all that's around is Bourbon Street and they've been around so long. KWEST is gone; familiary cross dressers, nothing really new or exciting. Am I the only one that has noticed? You can go to Island House which is fun but they price themselves out of the market in my opinion with $400 per night stays if you want a decent size room with private bath. Ahh the days of Atlantic Shores, the non stop fun at Bourbon and 801 and other places. Sorry just needed a place to vent.

Sadly very True! The Bad Local Economy also has done a job on Bone Island as a whole! It seems the Boater's & Fishing Businesses are all that's bringing in the Tourists for any decent income..

BUT Gay Wise Key West it ain't so Gay anymore...just alot of Jimmy Buffet Rednecks and Powerboat enthusiasts drinking up a storm the last few year's!

You could easily fit all the Customer's in the existing 3 Bars into one place! At least it would seem like a good time!

I am headed there later in the fall... and as BG says there are three gay bars... one features not so attractive drag queens trying to solicit business out front. Last time I was there a grandma and grandpa... who probably had no clue that they were talking to a drag queen... were indeed enticed to go inside. A sign on the side of the place reads "The Cum Bucket"... but on entering is simply the back door to the same bar... Interestingly the sign must have been culled from a previous establishment called The Chum Bucket... as the H is obliterated so chum reads as cum.

As for other sites... the highlight is the so-called Sunset celebration at docks where the cruise ships dock... artists, jugglers, street performers, and the like... otherwise just walking up and down Duval Street and people watching can be entertaining... and everyone wants to have their pic taken at the Southernmost Point monument at the quiet end of the street.

Of course there is Hemingway's house... but as one friend said, "Who would want to visit the home of a guy who shot himself..."

One highlight is Fantasyfest in late October... but from what I hear it is a bunch of mostly straight (not to mention a lot of older) people making fools of themselves in Key West's version of Mardi Gras... I plan to visit right after it is over so as the get the aura of what happened... but not be involved in the hoopla (and miss the high hotel rates)... and before the noisy Speedboat races start about a week later.

Those into OUTDOOR Water Sports will enjoy what Key West has to offer. The Dance Bar AQUA is probably the only Bar worth a visit.

There's a Go-Go Boy Bar next door that's about as Hit & Miss a place as you will ever find. The Bars in Lauderdale are definitely more for those looking to get Laid!

People watching for those who like it though does abound especially during Spring Break!

Well I'll be there Saturday for a few days and let you know. I'll be staying at the Oasis, the first gay place I stayed at as I felt comfortable and that was 1997. Wow, gay guys having fun in the pool, etc and accepting me a pudgy shy guy. Then travel down Duval to Bourbon where I saw my first gay bartendar in leather and a jockstrap, ohh boy, and this was in the afternoon with a full crowd. Moving down the street was straight places that accepted gays but partied all day and night long. I was trying to think of the stripper bar but can't recall, again my first experience in a private dance. Those were the days I guess.

Year's ago KW was definitely a Fun Weekend Trip from "Fri to Sun" from Miami/FTLaud... For quite a few year's with Prices not so much!

But then again Miami/Ft Laud also have their not so "glittery sides"! IF your into Strip Bars though there are some very interesting ones ;

KW has "Go Go Boys" not to be confused with Ript Stripper's...

I was there in the mid-1990s. We had an OK time. Stayed at Lighthouse Court which was an experience! Hemingway's house was pretty much right next door. I thought it was worth a visit. Truman's house was quite interesting as well if you are into Presidential history. The only other thing I really remember is eating a lot of ice cream!

BG, ripped over boys all the time. I'm waiting for rock to check in with what he's found, but what I'm thinking is that spending more time in Miami is going to be the way to go.

Well my to do list would be Ft Lauderdale over Miami for the Gay aspect... BUT we all have our preferences...Miami is "very interesting" IF you speak Spanish

I was in KW in January. Stayed at the Lighthouse court, I didnt see anything gay about it, it was nice, the room was somewhat small, but acceptable, the hot water ran out fast though. It was reasonable and one block off Duval St. Casper at Bourbon St. Bar is worth visiting. I met him at a place across the street, KWEST, perhaps that is closed now? Bourbon St has a facebook page with alot of pics. I avoided the drag queen bar, the women seemed to always be on the street without anyone in the bar.

The guys at the strip club told me they went here Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park to the beach. I enjoyed the "train Ride" around town, and also a sailing ship at night. We had a really good meal at Columbian Grace Restaurant and a good Sunday Brunch at Southernmost Beach Cafe, it had a Bloody Mary bar.

Well I've returned from my trip to Key West. Thanks all who responded. I was surprised at the number of stores that were closed or closing and number of gay guest houses going straight. Oasis is going straight as of January, heard same about Ruby's, KWEST closed, only strippers were at Bourbon and wouldn't call them high quality. Did stop at Island House and had nice time there. Rude day time bartender at Bourbon, nice guys at 801. Dancers at Bourbon were, "well I'm here, I might dance, I might not, I might just look like I want to be here." Well my impression. Anyhow, I hope there will be some places for us gay well spending guys to go.

Well I've returned from my trip to Key West. Thanks all who responded. I was surprised at the number of stores that were closed or closing and number of gay guest houses going straight. Oasis is going straight as of January, heard same about Ruby's, KWEST closed, only strippers were at Bourbon and wouldn't call them high quality. Did stop at Island House and had nice time there. Rude day time bartender at Bourbon, nice guys at 801. Dancers at Bourbon were, "well I'm here, I might dance, I might not, I might just look like I want to be here." Well my impression. Anyhow, I hope there will be some places for us gay well spending guys to go.

I considered the Keys as a place to 'hang my hat' in retirement, but I heard about its demise from a number of Floridians. So I settled North of there instead. Very sad....Such good good times we used to have. AND now it seems that "P" Town is going through somewhat of the same transition. It is almost scary how things change over the years.

Archived