Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

BewareofNick
This topic is 4129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Any other Doctor Who fans here?

I started watching Doctor Who with the debut of Matt Smith in "The Eleventh Hour". Since then, I have been hooked and have been catching up on the series since its return to the BBC in 2005. Of particular interest to me was the character of River Song who is moving through time in the opposite direction of the Doctor and yet has become the most important person in his life. The Doctor first meets her during the 10th Doctor episodes Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. )The Doctor was played by David Tennant. From her POV, it is their final meeting.

I have long been aware of Doctor Who, most notably the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, but never really got into it. The original series ran from 1963 through 1989, with the Doctor being played by William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels with his Terran companions through time and space in his TARDIS. From the outside, the TARDIS appears to be 1 1960's police box, but it is much alrger on the inside. The show was cancelled in 1989 but lived in in books and audio dramas. Fox produced a Doctor Who movie in 1996 in conjunction with the BBC starring Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor and Eric Roberts as his arch enemy, the Master. It was intended as a pilot for a new series but it wasn't picked up. The BBC launched a new series in 2005 starring Christopher Ecclesston as the Ninth Doctor and Billie piper as his new companion Rose. Eccleston only stayed around for one season before regenerating into David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor. Regenerating??? I did not know this at first, but the change in actor is accounted for by the Doctor regenerating if he is mortally wounded or killed. The new Doctor is almost a completely different person but he retains the memories of his previous incarnations. A Time Lord can supposedly only regenerate 12 times (mean only 13 doctors), but other Time Lords, such as the Master, have been able to secure more regenerations.

I am now halfway through Christopher Eccleston's tenure and am just completely fascinated. I have also watched the anniversary specials The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, as well as Dimensions in Time and the minisode Time Crash which featured David Tennant's Tenth Doctor meeting Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor. Interestingly, David Tennant married actress Georgia Moffett, who played the tenth Doctor's cloned daughter. Georgia is Peter Davison's real life daiughter.

ME! ME! I love Dr. Who! I just started watching Dr. Who 6th series on DVD partially because I love all the extras and because I missed some episodes. I started watching Dr. Who with David Tennant. One of the sayings go that, "You never forget your first Dr. Who" and I have always felt that David is a better Dr. Who than the others I've seen (the guy who ran for one season before David, a few of Tom Baker's episodes and even Matt Smith). David was much more of a "romantic" type of Dr. Who (suave, sophisticated) and a lot of that is replaced now with manic anxiety but that's ok...I understand that Matt is more of a Dr. Who for a younger generation.

So yes...I am a Dr. Who fan. The thing that I'm wondering about is how David Tennant ran into a future Dr. Who in one of the Christmas specials. Older fellow with a piece of celery pinned to his lapel. It sounds funny but the look worked GOOD for him! When he talked to the elder Dr. Who, he said that he was from the future and so I wonder if he is a future Dr. Who that will come to be?

I love the show as well. Watched it a long time ago with Tom Baker and found it entertaining. Got hooked with David Tenant. Loved the "End of Time", completely blew me away. Was initially upset Tenant was leaving but Matt Smith did an excellent job taking over and I think he is now my favorite Doctor (but not a big enough fan to eat fishsticks and custard!). "A Good Man Goes to War" was an awesome episode.

Also was a big fan of its spinoff, Torchwood.

I guess I'm a fan but not a fan-atic. I remember seeing some episodes with the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) when I was younger but it didn'tcatch my interest. I started watching it regularly with the 9th(?) Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and really enjoyed both David Tennant & Matt Smith (tho I prefer Tennant). The River Song plot line was especially intriguing, ad the whole idea of encountering each other in reverse chronology.

I am also a big Torchwood fan. :)

one small addition

By the way, I'd like to state for the record that I am not a Dr. Who fanatic. I'm just a VERY well-informed GEEK! Thank you very much.

gcursor

I guess I'm a fan but not a fan-atic. I remember seeing some episodes with the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) when I was younger but it didn'tcatch my interest. I started watching it regularly with the 9th(?) Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, and really enjoyed both David Tennant & Matt Smith (tho I prefer Tennant). The River Song plot line was especially intriguing, ad the whole idea of encountering each other in reverse chronology.

Any other Doctor Who fans here?

I started watching Doctor Who with the debut of Matt Smith in "The Eleventh Hour". Since then, I have been hooked and have been catching up on the series since its return to the BBC in 2005. Of particular interest to me was the character of River Song who is moving through time in the opposite direction of the Doctor and yet has become the most important person in his life. The Doctor first meets her during the 10th Doctor episodes Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. )The Doctor was played by David Tennant. From her POV, it is their final meeting.

I have long been aware of Doctor Who, most notably the 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, but never really got into it. The original series ran from 1963 through 1989, with the Doctor being played by William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels with his Terran companions through time and space in his TARDIS. From the outside, the TARDIS appears to be 1 1960's police box, but it is much alrger on the inside. The show was cancelled in 1989 but lived in in books and audio dramas. Fox produced a Doctor Who movie in 1996 in conjunction with the BBC starring Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor and Eric Roberts as his arch enemy, the Master. It was intended as a pilot for a new series but it wasn't picked up. The BBC launched a new series in 2005 starring Christopher Ecclesston as the Ninth Doctor and Billie piper as his new companion Rose. Eccleston only stayed around for one season before regenerating into David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor. Regenerating??? I did not know this at first, but the change in actor is accounted for by the Doctor regenerating if he is mortally wounded or killed. The new Doctor is almost a completely different person but he retains the memories of his previous incarnations. A Time Lord can supposedly only regenerate 12 times (mean only 13 doctors), but other Time Lords, such as the Master, have been able to secure more regenerations.

I am now halfway through Christopher Eccleston's tenure and am just completely fascinated. I have also watched the anniversary specials The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, as well as Dimensions in Time and the minisode Time Crash which featured David Tennant's Tenth Doctor meeting Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor. Interestingly, David Tennant married actress Georgia Moffett, who played the tenth Doctor's cloned daughter. Georgia is Peter Davison's real life daiughter.

CE was great, DT is spectacular (and some of the storylines with Rose are tears-inducing) and MS is just... meh.

ME! ME! I love Dr. Who! I just started watching Dr. Who 6th series on DVD partially because I love all the extras and because I missed some episodes. I started watching Dr. Who with David Tennant. One of the sayings go that, "You never forget your first Dr. Who" and I have always felt that David is a better Dr. Who than the others I've seen (the guy who ran for one season before David, a few of Tom Baker's episodes and even Matt Smith). David was much more of a "romantic" type of Dr. Who (suave, sophisticated) and a lot of that is replaced now with manic anxiety but that's ok...I understand that Matt is more of a Dr. Who for a younger generation.

So yes...I am a Dr. Who fan. The thing that I'm wondering about is how David Tennant ran into a future Dr. Who in one of the Christmas specials. Older fellow with a piece of celery pinned to his lapel. It sounds funny but the look worked GOOD for him! When he talked to the elder Dr. Who, he said that he was from the future and so I wonder if he is a future Dr. Who that will come to be?

The older Doctor was Peter Davison. He played the Fifth Doctor from 1981 - 1984. He succeeded Tom Baker in the role and was subsequently replaced by Colin Baker. Davison was Tennant's favorite incarnation, as well as the Tenth Doctor's. "Doctor, you were My doctor" They both wore trainers and they bith wore brainy specs. Davison's daughter, Georgia Moffett is now David Tennant's wife.

Tennant is now consistently voted the favorite Doctor. He took the title from Tom Baker who had the longest on screen tenure as the Doctor. Matt Smith's Doctor is more of a combination of the Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) and the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy). He combines the Second's humor and seemingly Columbo like bumbling with the Seventh's ruthlessness. Matt Smith is a big fan of the Second Doctor, hence the bow tie ("Bow ties are cool")

I love the show as well. Watched it a long time ago with Tom Baker and found it entertaining. Got hooked with David Tenant. Loved the "End of Time", completely blew me away. Was initially upset Tenant was leaving but Matt Smith did an excellent job taking over and I think he is now my favorite Doctor (but not a big enough fan to eat fishsticks and custard!). "A Good Man Goes to War" was an awesome episode.

Also was a big fan of its spinoff, Torchwood.

The End of Time was a great tour de force for John Simm as the Master. We got to see Donna Noble again and Timothy Dalton as Rassilon was brilliant casting. Though it was never explicitly stated, the Time Lady who kept visiting Wilf (Bernard Cribbins) was the Doctor's mother. The look between them at the end was heart wrenching, as was the look on the Doctor's face when he thought he was safe....and then He Knocked Four Times. The Doctor's journey to say goodbye to his former companions was well done. Buying Donna the winning lottery ticket with a dollar borrowed from her deceased father, saving Sarah Jane's son....in the comice, he visited dozens of other companions as well, appropriately ending with the love of his life, Rose.

They knew from the beginning that the Tenth Doctor's final words would be "I don't want to go". Whether it was the delight of seeing Sarah Jane again after 30 years, or the pain of losing Rose and Donna, this Doctor was profoundly lonely, not only because he destroyed Gallifrey and the Time Lords, but because he desperately loved all his companions. As he stated in School Reunion, they all get old and die. He just regenerates. That was why he fought so hard against the regeneration and why it was so violent that it almost destroyed the TARDIS. It also served as a catharsis, because the Eleventh Doctor was able to get beyond the guilt carried by the Eighth Ninth and Tenth, and oh the family he ended up with.

The whole River Song story has been fascinating. Her last meeting with the Doctor was his first. When Alex Kingston officially joined the cast, she was told River's entire story, including her relationship to the Doctor and Amy and Rory. This let he play the character in a much different way. Karen Gillan (Amy) said she wondered why Alex played things the way she did until she found out the true relationship between River and Amy, and that didn't happen until the episode Let's Kill Hitler.

Interestingly enough, Alex Kingston had a recurring role on Law and Order as an attorney by the name of Miranda Pond.

I agree..sadly

I agree. it was a great ending. I don't watch THE END OF TIME all that much though because when the Dr. is going through and saying good bye to everybody, i do nothing but cry non-stop because it's so sad.

The End of Time was a great tour de force for John Simm as the Master. We got to see Donna Noble again and Timothy Dalton as Rassilon was brilliant casting. Though it was never explicitly stated, the Time Lady who kept visiting Wilf (Bernard Cribbins) was the Doctor's mother. The look between them at the end was heart wrenching, as was the look on the Doctor's face when he thought he was safe....and then He Knocked Four Times. The Doctor's journey to say goodbye to his former companions was well done. Buying Donna the winning lottery ticket with a dollar borrowed from her deceased father, saving Sarah Jane's son....in the comice, he visited dozens of other companions as well, appropriately ending with the love of his life, Rose.

They knew from the beginning that the Tenth Doctor's final words would be "I don't want to go". Whether it was the delight of seeing Sarah Jane again after 30 years, or the pain of losing Rose and Donna, this Doctor was profoundly lonely, not only because he destroyed Gallifrey and the Time Lords, but because he desperately loved all his companions. As he stated in School Reunion, they all get old and die. He just regenerates. That was why he fought so hard against the regeneration and why it was so violent that it almost destroyed the TARDIS. It also served as a catharsis, because the Eleventh Doctor was able to get beyond the guilt carried by the Eighth Ninth and Tenth, and oh the family he ended up with.

Thanks for the heads up. After watching The End of Time, I couldn't help but think of Admiral Kirk's eulogy of Spock in The Wrath of Khan: "Of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most....human."

I intend to get to Torchwood after completing Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures. Not only does Sarah Jane get to meet the Eleventh Doctor, but the show brought back Katy Manning as Jo Grant Jones (companion of the Third Doctor) and Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (who worked alongside the first seven doctors), The Brigadier was mentioned by the Tenth Doctor and the Eleventh Doctor was going to pick up the Brigadier from his nursing home when he was told that the Brigadier had passed away. This was done in honor of the passing of Nicholas Courtney, almost on the heels of the passing of Elisabeth Sladen, the beloved Sarah Jane Smith.

• 7 months later...

Doctor Who series 7 has not disappointed.

"Asylum of the Daleks" not only re-established the Daleks as a force to be reckoned with, but it featured the surprise appearance of Jenna-Louise Coleman as Oswin Oswald. It was announced that Coleman would make her debut in the 2012 Christmas Special, so her appearance here caught everyone off guard, especially since Oswin died at the end of the episode.

"Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" was a tour de force for all, with Queen Nefertiti along for the ride. The real highlight was the debut of Mark Williams (the Weasley dad from Harry Potter) as Brian Williams, Rory's dad.

"A Town Called Mercy" was the weakest of the lot, but still a good episode. It highlighted the effect that traveling alone has on the Doctor.

"The Power of Three" really showed the love between the Doctor and the Ponds. Brian Williams returns as well as UNIT which last appeared at the end of Series 4. It introduced Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave), the daughter of the late Brigadier, as the new head of UNIT.

"The Angels Take Manhattan" was the Ponds swan song. It also featured the return of the Doctor's wife River Song, Amy and Rory's daughter, It took me almost a week to get watch this episode because I would start crying so hard and had to stop. I am tearing up right now as I write this. " Melody, you be a good girl and take care of him." "Raggedy Man, goodbye" Rory didn't get a proper goodbye and fans were not happy. The BBC released a short called PS and had storyboards drawn, with narration by Arthur Darvill (Rory). It showed Rory's dad Brian finding out what happened to Amy and Rory. It was heartbreaking as well.

"The Snowmen" - After the loss of the Ponds, the Doctor parked his TARDIS high above Victorian England and basically went into seclusion. He was watched out for by Silurian detective Madame Vastra and her human wife, Jenny, as well as the Sontaran Strax. Jenna-Louise Coleman redebuted as Clara Oswald. After a chance meeting with the Doctor, Clara attempts to contact him and is brought to Madame Vastra. Clara needs the Doctor's help. Madame Vastra interviews Clara who is admonished to answer all questions with only one word. Vastra asks Clara in one word to convey to the Doctor the nature of the threat, why she needs help, who is in danger and why the Doctor should get involved. Reading in the TARDIS, wearing Amy's glasses, the Doctor answers a call from Vastra and she explains what occurred and then tells the Doctor the one word Clara gave to the last question: Pond.

The Doctor gives Clara a key to the TARDIS. "I never know why, just who". The Doctor finally recognizes Clara's voice as being the same as Oswin's. He never saw Oswin. Clara dies after getting the key. Her full name is Clara Oswin Oswald. The Doctor sets off to figure out who she is. In the 21st century, we meet a girl named Clara standing at the grave of Clara Oswin Oswald. "I don't believe in ghosts".

Part 2 of series 7 starts March 30th.

Rumour has it that the big 50th anniversary special will be called The Eleven Doctors and will feature all 11 incarnations. No companions except for possibly Clara and River. It will air Nov 23, the 50th anniversary to the day.

Archived