R.I.P. Columbia Crew

ad rian
This topic is 7776 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first inclination is to delete this post, but that would be a disservice to the community.

Casual readers would lose the ability to evaluate your posts on the whole in a truly honest environment. In other words, deleting your heinous posts would only be covering for your glee at the death of a human being.

I'm going to leave this and other posts.

They harm only you, and removing them would help only you.

Other moderators may see it differently. YMMV

>My first inclination is to delete this post, but that would

>be a disservice to the community.

>

>Casual readers would lose the ability to evaluate your posts

>on the whole in a truly honest environment. In other words,

>deleting your heinous posts would only be covering for your

>glee at the death of a human being.

>

>I'm going to leave this and other posts.

>

>They harm only you, and removing them would help only you.

Perhaps, but I have no hesitation in celebrating the death of an Israeli war criminal. I ask again, do you mourn his victims? What false piety! What fake sanctimony! Fortunately, we'll soon enough have occasion to test your pacifist credentials in either the next Zionist incursion into Gaza or American invasion/occupation of Iraq! Until then, I repeat, the Zionist war criminal slee[ps with the gefilte fishes. Good luck to the fishes!:7

>Thank you deej, we can all draw our own conclusions about

>what kind of person ad rian is.x(

And what conclusions do you draw of the Israeli war criminal. Hypocrisy is not in short supply in the world of the queens, or so it would appear!

}(

Please do not delete his posts, I don't agree with many things that are said on this board but I don't think they should be deleted.

I do think that ad rian is correct in some of his points, and I think that if he didn't encompass them in such hatred he might even be able to explain what he is talking about so that we can all understand his side. Maybe not agree but at least understand. I do think that there are many people that are being oppressed. Look at what Saddaam has done to his own people including muslims in his own country. Many muslim countries oppress their own people including women. Maybe Ad rian should go live in some of those middle eastern countries as an "out" Gay man and see who gets oppressed!!

>I do think that there are many people that are

>being oppressed. Look at what Saddaam has done to his own

>people including muslims in his own country. Many muslim

>countries oppress their own people including women. Maybe Ad

>rian should go live in some of those middle eastern countries

>as an "out" Gay man and see who gets oppressed!!

And perhaps you might like to try living in Israel as an out gay man! Does any of the oppression you mention justify a single instance of Israeli torture or occupation?

>I do think that ad rian is correct in some of his points, and

>I think that if he didn't encompass them in such hatred he

>might even be able to explain what he is talking about so that

>we can all understand his side.

What's so complex? You either support or oppose Israeli torture and occupation. I oppose it, and the on0-line Zionistss support it. So I celebrate the death of an Israeli war criminal, they mourn it.

>>an Israeli war criminal.

>

>What do you base this claim on?

I've been following the news all day. I always thought the timing of this story was off. His mission was considered so controversial it was halted for 4 years. He was a fighter pilot in the 1973 War, in Sharon's war in Lebanon, in the assault on Iraq in violation of international law, and most recently in the West Bank. Israel could have nominated a scientist, instead they chose a warrior to carry the Aushewitz flame. Their desecration of that history met a fiiting reward. This was a stupid PR move, and it ended in an appropriate fashion. Hip Hip Hooray!

>My point was that Iraq and Palistine are not INNOCENT either!

> Do you support the fact that suicide bombers are portrayed as

>martyrs? I suppose they are innocent!

I have yet to hear a convincing explanation to two questions I posed earlier: (1) How else would you have the Palestinians respond to Israeli occupation given the asymetic power relationship; and (2) do you think a dead person would state a preference as to whether they were killed by grenade, M-16, F-16, atomic bombs r suicide bombs? As for Iraq, my consistent position here has been that we should bomb Tel Aviv and Baghad the same day having regard to broken UN resolutions and WMD programs. Will you join me in that?

Guest Bitchboy

It seems the more I hear the more the mission was destined to end badly from the very beginning. If the tile hitting the wing at lift-off is a major contributing factor, as many suspect, then what could have been done? I've heard a few 'experts' state that it was too late to abort even then. So sad. I've been a vocal critic of our government over the years,particularly in the area of our military involvement at the expense of our own people, but I've always supported the space program as one of those efforts that could add immensely to the betterment of all mankind. God bless the astronauts and God bless America.

>I have yet to hear a convincing explanation to two questions I

>posed earlier: (1) How else would you have the Palestinians

>respond to Israeli occupation given the asymetic power

>relationship;

With massive and entirely peaceful protests. By throwing flowers at Israeli soliders instead of stones, bullets and nails. Had the Palestinians done that, any who were harmed would truly be martyrs rather than assassins.

and (2) do you think a dead person would state a

>preference as to whether they were killed by grenade, M-16,

>F-16, atomic bombs or suicide bombs?

No, but the living frequently do. That is why so many people stand behind treaties barring certain kinds of weapons.

>As for Iraq, my

>consistent position here has been that we should bomb Tel Aviv

>and Baghad the same day having regard to broken UN resolutions

>and WMD programs. Will you join me in that?

I think the Security Council is the best judge of what should be done when countries violate its resolutions. Let me know when the Council passes a resolution ordering the bombing of Tel Aviv.

The first sign I had that something was amiss yesterday was seeing a flag at half mast on my way to a meeting. When I got there the story was on a TV in a waiting area. As the news went on my sorrow for the loss of these space explorers mingled with disgust at learning that their deaths were being called retribution by 'god' in Iraq (and possibly other corners of the world) and 'poetic justice' in a much smaller arena here.

I am not excited about the seemingly imminent war we're about to embark upon in the Middle East and I do not intend what I am about to say as condemnation or endorsement or any current policy. That being said I NEVER understand people in any religion trying to assign god's vengeance to tragedies like this. Besides the figurative slap in the face it delivers to the innocent families of these brave men and women it shows a curious lack of respect for whatever 'god' you chose to let think for you. If 'god' really wants to take aim at your enemies and exact retribution for some perceived wrong does it really reassure you that the aim is so obtuse? I can't imagine that it bodes well for whatever cause someone advances that God or Allah or 'poetic justice' couldn’t deliver a more focused blow, and punish people who are directly responsible for whatever harms are being discussed. Further, I fail to understand how anyone can hope to gain any support for any position they advance by 'celebrating' someone's death.

These people were doing scientific work which someday may help to advance my health, my quality of life, my knowledge, and my pride in where I live. For that they should be applauded, remembered and their tragic deaths mourned.

Gio in Denver

>With massive and entirely peaceful protests. By throwing

>flowers at Israeli soliders instead of stones, bullets and

>nails. Had the Palestinians done that, any who were harmed

>would truly be martyrs rather than assassins.

Would you advocate the same for Israel?

>and (2) do you think a dead person would state a

>>preference as to whether they were killed by grenade, M-16,

>>F-16, atomic bombs or suicide bombs?

>

>No, but the living frequently do. That is why so many people

>stand behind treaties barring certain kinds of weapons.

Treaties which your friends in Israel refuse to sign? Interesting! Moral relativism lives on in the M4M world.

>I think the Security Council is the best judge of what should

>be done when countries violate its resolutions. Let me know

>when the Council passes a resolution ordering the bombing of

>Tel Aviv.

Without the udse of a U.S. veto, that would have happened long ago, but even with the threat of such veto, the Security Council and General Assembly have found Isarael in breach of many UN resolutions. Sorry, charlie!

>I ask again, do you mourn the victims of the Israeli fighter pilot?

I mourn all innocent victims.....even those of American pilots. I am not in a place to pass judgement.

From Reuters:

The 48-year-old Israeli astronaut was a fighter pilot in the Israeli air force. He was the youngest pilot in a team that bombed Iraq's nuclear reactor in 1981. Israel said the reactor was intended to develop nuclear weapons.

"Israel launched an aggression on us when it raided our nuclear reactor without any reason, now time has come and God has retaliated to their aggression," Tamini said. (an Iraqi)

There were no such signs of jubilation over the shuttle disaster in any of the Palestinian territories. The official response from the Palestinians was one of condolence.

"President (Yasser) Arafat and the Palestinian Authority offer their condolences to the six American families and the Israeli family who lost their loved ones in the catastrophe," Saeb Erekat, a senior Palestinian official and spokesman, told Reuters.

Erekat said Arafat had sent President Bush a message of condolences over the loss of the NASA space agency's shuttle.

Guest feisty1

>I am not excited about the seemingly imminent war we're about

>to embark upon in the Middle East and I do not intend what I

>am about to say as condemnation or endorsement or any current

>policy. That being said I NEVER understand people in any

>religion trying to assign god's vengeance to tragedies like

>this.

Likewise, I'm mystified by the extraordinary piety on the part of American political figures. Clinton was bad enough in this regard, but Jr. has taken it to a whole new level. I could care less what any Congressman or President thinks his god is thinking or blessing; it's long past time to tell the speechwriters to lay off quoting scripture on the telepromters.

Kalpana Chalwa, the Columbia crewwoman originally from India, said in an interview that she didn't feel Indian in space. She had told India Today: "When you look at the stars and the galaxy, you feel that you are not just from any particular piece of land, but from the solar system."

To me, that is so much more moving and appropriate a testimony to the meaning and importance of the sacrifices made by the people who died in the Columbia. All of our little turf battles and fights to the death over patches of land and the black muck beneath it must look so inconsequential from beyond the atmosphere of this planet. But all our world leaders can offer is "god bless America" and "this is god's punishment" and crap like that. It makes me wonder if, someday, we ever do extend the reach of our species beyond Earth, the same stupid religious- and power-fueled battles will extend with us.

A scientist once speculated that the reason humans have never encountered signs of intelligent life in the universe is that lifeforms only develop to a certain level before collapsing upon themselves, like our universe may someday collapse on us. Out of that collapse comes a renewal and everything starts over. Nature's pattern. We have, relatively recently in the history of our species, developed the ability to annihilate ourselves completely. I no longer think it's a question of if we ever will, but when.

--Michael

<N.P. "We Are All Made of Stars" - Moby>

Archived