Ashton Kutcher dating videos

geon777
This topic is 4455 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a pretty offensive ad. It's already been pulled from the airwaves and the CEO has issued an apology. (And I know, someone's going to post "Lighten up!")

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/03/ashton_kutchers_brownface_fail/

Shockaroonie, some people found this offensive. The ad went the wrong kind of viral, with a social media explosion of negative feedback. It’s not that comedy with a racial element is always wrong wrong wrong. The Jewish Hank Azaria is currently in his third decade of playing the Indian Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on “The Simpsons,” and nobody seems to be outraged about this. Kutcher’s incredibly unnuanced performance isn’t that, though. On his blog, writer Anil Dash explains it perfectly – “a fake-Indian outfit and voice” constitute “the entire punchline” of the clip. And, as he eloquently put it, “I can’t imagine I have to explain this to anyone in 2012, but if you find yourself putting brown makeup on a white person in 2012 so they can do a bad ‘funny’ accent in order to sell potato chips, you are on the wrong course. Make some different decisions.”

We’ve still got much work we need to do in this country around issues of stereotypes and sensitivity, folks.

You don’t have to look any further than the entire Popchips campaign to see what I mean. Its remaining “World Wide Lovers” include the stoner Brit “Nigel,” who’s “seeking higher planes of consciousness” (GET IT????), the effeminate German “Darl” — a swishy riff on openly gay designer Karl Lagerfeld — and the dumb redneck “Swordfish.” In the end, there’s also regular old, newly single Kutcher, who describes the other guys in the club as a “freak show.” Hey, geniuses at Popchips – you’re still perpetuating gross generalizations. Also: They’re not funny. It’s a great big snack-loving country. Being cool about brown people – and gay people, and people others would call “white trash” – shouldn’t be such a crunch.

Yes, if what you do is racist or homophobic or misogynistic, etc. Otherwise, no, it's not true for "anything" you do.

Well from "Blazing Saddles to Sasha Cohen".....all have pushed the envelope beyond what some would say is out of the normal range of someones comfort zone. I personally did not like any of SC work, but many did, and his newest work has not changed a bit. I think it is important that we all find the ability to laugh at one another a little bit at least, as long as the humor is not sent with a spirit with the intent to be hurtful. I feel that Ashton's reputation for humor is well documented, and I think someone would be hard pressed to say that its intent was to be hurtful. I don't see the harm.

agreed!....you can't take anything too seriously, the first thing being yourself......and that Karl Lagerfeld character (never heard of him before today) appears to deserve some mocking

I thought it was funny.

People need to learn to laugh more.

Well, this board clearly sees the ad differently than the majority of people who saw it, and even the CEO has agreed it was offensive and pulled the ad. As I posted earlier, other depictions, such as Jewish Hank Azaria playing an Indian on The Simpsons, or straight actors playing gay characters on Will & Grace, etc., are acceptable and people laugh because they're funny and the joke is not that they are Indian or gay. In this ad, what is offensive (and it's amazing to have to explain this in 2012) is that a white guy putting on brown face and making a "funny" Indian accent is the punchline of the joke. Just like his portraying Darl as a flaming faggot is the punchline. And the "redneck" is supposed to be funny because we're supposed to laugh at people like that. But what makes it all most offensive is when Ashton then appears as his straight white self at the end, telling us that the previous characters are all "freaks."

Well, this board clearly sees the ad differently than the majority of people who saw it, and even the CEO has agreed it was offensive and pulled the ad. As I posted earlier, other depictions, such as Jewish Hank Azaria playing an Indian on The Simpsons, or straight actors playing gay characters on Will & Grace, etc., are acceptable and people laugh because they're funny and the joke is not that they are Indian or gay. In this ad, what is offensive (and it's amazing to have to explain this in 2012) is that a white guy putting on brown face and making a "funny" Indian accent is the punchline of the joke. Just like his portraying Darl as a flaming faggot is the punchline. And the "redneck" is supposed to be funny because we're supposed to laugh at people like that. But what makes it all most offensive is when Ashton then appears as his straight white self at the end, telling us that the previous characters are all "freaks."

Seriously Rick, what is the deal? SO Sasha Cohen is what exactly to you? I find it odd that you seem so bent out of shape about this ad and yet not a word of objection to the work of SC. This ad pales in comparison. Can't understand why your panties are all in a bind? I am thinking it might be something personal. It just seems odd that you are so offended by this, when so many things on TV and in film is far more offensive than this. Now mind you, I am not a big Ashton Kutcher fan, but this material is hardly over the top offensive.

We just gotta learn to step back and laugh a little...

Seriously Rick, what is the deal?

The deal is that many people found the ad offensive and the company pulled it. I had nothing to do with any of it. I merely read about it in Salon after the fact.

SO Sasha Cohen is what exactly to you?

I believe he is an actor but we've never met.

I find it odd that you seem so bent out of shape about this ad and yet not a word of objection to the work of SC.

I have not seen his films. I have seen the ad. I am not bent out of shape. I was just expressing my opinion. I find it odd that you are so bent out of shape over that.

Can't understand why your panties are all in a bind? I am thinking it might be something personal.

Yes, that's it. I am a gay Indian redneck Brit who was rejected by Ashton Kutcher on the dating site.

It just seems odd that you are so offended by this, when so many things on TV and in film is far more offensive than this.

So, if there are other things that are (according to you) more offensive than something, we cannot express an opinion about that thing because of the other things that are more offensive and they take precedent. Am I getting this right?

I think the company bowed to peer pressure and hence pulled the Ad. Its all about money. They obviously didnt find it offensive since they produiced it. I think our society is taking this "politically correct shit" a bit too far. Some things are meant soley as entertainment in someones opinion. People need to gets the sticks out of their asses (and replace em with tongues). People will ALWAYS be offended by something. Lighten up people ! Now I dont find Ashton a particularly talented guy, but I did think the ad was kinda funny if you didnt label it with some Serious message....Life has always had Stereotypes. If the ad was on the cover of New Yorker magazine, would it have been LESS offensive ?

I agree it is pretty offensive. My dog got offended. She is very upset and now I will have to buy her a lobster.

The most impressive thing is how talented Ashton Kutcher is. One might think that hot looks are all it takes to be successful in Hollywood. You need to be able to act as well.

I sincerely apologize. In the future, I will try very hard not to ever have an opinion that is different from the majority of the board.

Sincerely, Rick Stepford

I was more offended by how STUPID and annoying the ads were than the inappropriateness. I think it is great when one remains un-homogenized

Sincerely, Stick in the mud...

I sincerely apologize. In the future, I will try very hard not to ever have an opinion that is different from the majority of the board.

Sincerely, Rick Stepford

NEVER compromise your beliefs. Around these parts it takes Balls to actually stand up and have an opinion that is not seemingly the "popular" one. Most people WONT. My jock strap is off to YOU for letting your voice be known. For ME, YOUR posts here are often the bright spot on this board, and always make me grin....But on the other hand, if I had a room full of Stepford YOU'S, I can think of so many fun, HOT things....:D

Rick, I don't think you need to apologize for having an opinion...thank goodness you and everyone else has the capacity to form and express freely those opinions based on your beliefs. Everyone needs to be reminded that we have to respect each others opinions.

Part of what I see here in this issue is about what is politically correct. Especially as it relates to sensitivities of companies that something may impact their bottom line, there is less and less deviation from some safety zone. That band of tolerance is narrowing in many ways and as such it does seem to limit somewhat freedom of expression. That seems to be unfortunate. Of course there are always those situations that are over the top but what I am speaking to is the grey areas.

Somewhat related matter to this thread as it relates to things being politically correct, I read an interesting article recently about Spirit Airlines and their refusal to refund a dying Vietnam vet the price of an airline ticket after he discovered he was dying and his doctors did not want him to fly. Clearly the politically correct thing to do was to refund the few hundred dollars (and get whatever positive publicity they could out of it) but the airline has steadfastly refused to do so. Are they greedy bastards, just plain stupid or sticking to their principals? I guess I am saying that not doing something considered politically correct isn't always easy but sometimes it can be the right thing to do.

Archived