There's an APP for that...

Cooper
This topic is 4513 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recently, I purchased my 1st smart phone, the iPhone4S... I'm now becoming familiar with all it's features. I enjoy dictating a text message and asking Siri such questions as, "Where's the closest Italian restaurant" or "call Jack"... There seem to be thousands of APP's... I've connected to a few, such as "flashlight", "tip calculator", "translate", "cbs news", "grindr", etc... However, there are many I'm not familiar with...

So, for those of you using smart phones, perhaps you can help... Which APPS do you use most frequently?

Thanks!

Coop :cool:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Recently, I purchased my 1st smart phone, the iPhone4S... I'm now becoming familiar with all it's features. I enjoy dictating a text message and asking Siri such questions as, "Where's the closest Italian restaurant" or "call Jack"... There seem to be thousands of APP's... I've connected to a few, such as "flashlight", "tip calculator", "translate", "cbs news", "grindr", etc... However, there are many I'm not familiar with...

So, for those of you using smart phones, perhaps you can help... Which APPS do you use most frequently?

Thanks!

Coop :cool:

Coop, sadly I am one of those poor, unfortunate souls that needs to think on my own. Wish I could be of more assistance to you. Oh yeah, and I do have a landline AND a VCR and cassette player. How embarassing !

If you travel, there's a Public Radio app that finds the local NPR station wherever you are (as well as providing various feeds).

Wikipanion brings Wikipedia in a phone-friendly format, and Google has a search app that also formats search results for the phone. There are a TON of free news apps: every major newspaper and network, radio station, websites such as salon.com, HuffPo, etc.

ConverterPlus converts between measurement systems (length, weight, distance, etc.) and I've been a little surprised how often I use it.

If you're into real estate, Realtor.com and Zillow.com have good iPhone apps.

MoviePhone finds where movies are playing and will even help you buy tickets before heading out.

If you use PhotoBucket or the like, most of them have iPhone apps that provide your photo collection on your phone.

Just scroll through the free section of the iTunes store. There's a ton of stuff in there.

A few apps I constantly use are Advocate, Edge and the Washington Blade(for gay news).

Maybe the most frequent one I use is Gas Buddy to find the cheapest gas near me at the moment. BestParking to find parking if need be in the city.

Accuweather and Weather.com for weather (and alerts as well on accuweather).

Urbanspoon to find restaurants nearby. Of course you can download your favorite mainstream news source, be it CNN, MSBNC or (ugh) Fox. ESPN for sports scores and news.

If you travel a lot, add the apps for your favorite airlines, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, etc.

Guest MajorTomp

shazam - lets you identify any song playing

googlevoice - free second telephone number that directs to your phone

dropbox - best way to connect files between smart device and laptop or home computer

camcard - for business cards

scanner and RL classic - reads the barcode on products and tells you the prices elsewhere

roadninja - whats available at the next highway exit

garmin streetpilot - turns your smart phone into a garmin nuvi gps

sleepmachine - traveling sleep sounds and alarm clock

plus all the banking and specific airline, hotel and restaurant apps for individual companies.

It is endless!

I still use a dumb phone, but I do use my iPad daily and think the apps are largely the same. My favorite apps:

The free:

Google Maps gives point-to-point directions and then shows your progress along the route.

There are a couple impressive apps for the NYC transit system.

There are bunches of free Mancala, Backgammon, Cribbage, etc. apps.

Shazam is free and somehow is able to identify whatever song is being played over the radio by listening to just a few seconds of it. Truly cool.

I have CNBC set up to alert me when something big happens in the market.

Mr Number sometimes works better than google searches to look up phone numbers.

Everybody should have Find iPhone installed. It remotely finds your device, makes it beep, can clean your memory if stolen... but only if you install it first!

GeeTasksLite synchs your gmail tasks list onto your iDevice.

Dropbox synchs documents across your iDevices and PC.

There are some cool tip calculators.

Pocket Pond, Talking Tom, Random #, and Clinometer are all silly but provide moments of entertainment.

Google Translate is cool! Speak or type what you want, it translates it (to any language you can imagine) both in print and sound, you can save certain phrases so you have them even if not connected to the net later.

The quasi-free:

Square lets you process credit cards via your iDevice. (The app and the tiny device they send you that plugs into your headphone jack that allows you to swipe cards are free. They take 2.75% of each transaction processed, with no other fees. Money is swept into your bank account nightly.)

Probably iPad specific, but the Netflix streaming app works well. (Of course you need a subscription.)

Chess with Friends is great. If you play a lot spend the few bucks to get rid of the pop-up ads.

Worth paying for:

Angry Birds!

FileMaker Go synchs with your PC's FileMaker Pro.

Happy hunting!

Kevin Slater

So many APPS...

Thank you gentlemen for all the APP ideas... I'll try them, especially the real estate, travel, banking, music, gps, and game apps. Thanks bigvalboy, "tingle" sounds tantalizing.... I just connected with OnStar's remote link and feel like the man in the commercial who asks his wife while she's boarding an airplane to unlock and lock the car doors. :) ... Next APP newspapers, Lee, good suggestions...

Thanks again, I appreciate learning from your experience with these APPS.

Coop

Netflix is indeed available for Android and it works really well. I like an app called "Pulse". It lets you specify the news sources which interest you and keeps the feed from them refreshed. You get a nice tiled display including each source. And it's free. I check it every morning.

As a non-Iphone/cellphone user, I wonder if ALL these Apps and wonderful features really enhances and enriches your life, or merely complicates it, because there doesnt seem to be enuf hours in the day to take advantage of everything thats available to you, and alot of people seem Obsessed...

I can understand if you are using it as a business tool, but a majority of people that have these devices are not in business, or dont even have a job. I am not underestimating the value of owning the device, merely just wondering....

As a non-Iphone/cellphone user, I wonder if ALL these Apps and wonderful features really enhances and enriches your life, or merely complicates it, because there doesnt seem to be enuf hours in the day to take advantage of everything thats available to you, and alot of people seem Obsessed...

I can understand if you are using it as a business tool, but a majority of people that have these devices are not in business, or dont even have a job. I am not underestimating the value of owning the device, merely just wondering....

If not for business I personally wouldn't own one

shazam - lets you identify any song playing

googlevoice - free second telephone number that directs to your phone

dropbox - best way to connect files between smart device and laptop or home computer

camcard - for business cards

scanner and RL classic - reads the barcode on products and tells you the prices elsewhere

roadninja - whats available at the next highway exit

garmin streetpilot - turns your smart phone into a garmin nuvi gps

sleepmachine - traveling sleep sounds and alarm clock

plus all the banking and specific airline, hotel and restaurant apps for individual companies...It is endless!

Thanks MajorTom for all the suggestions... I just added "Red Laser" to my APPS... Having fun reading all the bar-codes and finding the cheapest place to buy common household products...

Netflix is indeed available for Android and it works really well. I like an app called "Pulse". It lets you specify the news sources which interest you and keeps the feed from them refreshed. You get a nice tiled display including each source. And it's free. I check it every morning.

Staying on topic... "Pulse"... added... Thanks!

whoa!

Wow. So you don't have a Laserdisc player jj or an 8-track tape deck?

gcursor

p.s. I only have an ipad 2 BUT if they have it then I would suggest getting an app called StumbleUpon

gcursor (again)

p.p.s. Also I would download PROJECT magazine. It is made by Sir Richard Branson's company VIRGIN and is one of THE BEST interactive magazines I've ever seen on the new devices. THIS is what magazines WANT to be like!

Coop, sadly I am one of those poor, unfortunate souls that needs to think on my own. Wish I could be of more assistance to you. Oh yeah, and I do have a landline AND a VCR and cassette player. How embarassing !

Archived