Gayest US City?.....surprise!

azdr0710
This topic is 4531 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm beginning to think that if the media do enough of these "best cities.."/"worst cities..." lists, I'll see every place I know on one of them. Already this year I have seen a list that said the small town I grew up in was one of the best towns in the US for raising children (so that why I'm so great!), and yesterday I saw a survey that said the "best run" city in America is Virginia Beach, a choice that I would never have imagined when my family lived there.

I was in Salt Lake City for a few days the other summer. If that's the gayest city in the US, then it must be time to move to Canada or Europe. I don't really play softball so it's difficult for me to see that as a determinative factor. I've also been to Minneapolis (was there for Pride the other year) and yes, it's nice, but that far up on the list? I think the judges need to open up their eyes and live in the real world, not some fantasy piece they've concocted to sell magazines. As far as odds go for talking somebody into bed for an evening's revelries, I think your chances would be significantly greater in New York than SLC. After you've met all the men on the softball team, what then? I know, I know; quality not quantity. But my experience was that you had to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince; there are bound to be more per capita possibilities (for frogs as well as princes) in Philly or NYC than in the entire state of Utah. Too many fantasies based on "Song of the Loon" or some such western-motive fantasy literature.

I have learned over the last few years at all of these "Top 5" and "Top 10" lists on... whatever... seem to be written by mindless or intellectually challenged youngsters who sit for hours in front of their computers blogging and trying to make their 5 minutes of glory by writing for Yahoo, or some other stream that needs these to feed their website page.

Yahoo's HOMEPAGE is a perfect example -- and you can find short "US News"- type articles there to satisfy any news/entertainment/sports/politics/fads junkie's need for a quick upload of information you really do not need, but they make it as if you cannot live without -- eg did I have to know that Tiger's ex tore down her house because of termites? Do I need to know every salacious detail of any Kardashian's boring life? Do I care about Lindsey Lohan and her obnoxious parents? And how many latest fad quick fix diets can I absorb (most of which still will require joining a gym or getting on "The Biggest Loser" for true effectiveness) before I realize I have to become comfotable with the belly bulge?

So these lists of 5 greatest or 10 greatest cities are also mind-boggling to me -- and maybe part of my New Year's resolution is to refrain from being tempted to know what they are? I have lived all over the world, and when peple ask me which was my favorite city, it is hard to answer as each one had a certain positive pull -- based on people I met at the time, experiences I had, memorable moments enjoyed. My own personal favorites continues to change and be re-arranged which also I think shows that I change as I grow older, and my own views on what makes or breaks a place changes with time and perspective.

The article and the replies reinforce a belief I have had for several years---surveys, studies, blogs, articles that use "numbers" to justify something or are suspect. I don't remember the author, but there was a book I read about a year ago titled Proofiness which showed how, in many cases, numbers meant almost nothing. One example:

body temperature of 98.6--that number was put forth by a German doctor who based it on a very small sample and under very suspicious circumstances, and yet it has come to be the "standard" by which many parents and others judge wellness and has been "gospel" for almost 150 years.

Not saying that numbers are useless, but just be wary when they are thrown around to try to convince you of something or sell you something or prove an agenda. How many gay bars or male stripper bars does it take to make a city "gay." Or should that label be determined by how many same-sex couples are in the US census? Or should gym membership by single men between 21 or 36 be the determinant? The Advocate selected their markers, another magazine or study could select different markers and come up with a very different list.

Agree with Adriano46--I'll do my best to ignore these "lists" and live my life in blissful ignorance of pop culture---at least what the flavour of moment is.

Once again, Adriano, you write with wisdom and sophistication. At the risk of sounding self-serving, might I be your long-lost twin that was separated from you at birth? You know how those midwives used to screw things up routinely in the past. I'm just saying it coulda happened ;-)

Once again, Adriano, you write with wisdom and sophistication. At the risk of sounding self-serving, might I be your long-lost twin that was separated from you at birth? You know how those midwives used to screw things up routinely in the past. I'm just saying it coulda happened ;-)

NOW THAT'S A SCAREY THOUGHT!!!

Boston Bill

What - the thought that Adriano and I might be long-lost twins - sort of the Romulus and Remus of the forum, suckled by wolves that led to all sorts of neuroses in adulthood? Or the idea that midwives might have been in attendance at our births - and realize that this would have been before midwifery became kinda trendy and au courant.

Interesting list.

I'm currently working in Portland and am happy to see it listed at #12. I've found lots to do here and there is a plethora of special interest groups from the Portland Cook Boys to hiking clubs.

I lived for a while in Grand Rapids and it's listed at #10. Unfortunately, I didn't find it all that gay-friendly when I lived there. It was the most conservative and religiously-controlled place I ever lived. Decided to move from Grand Rapids to Salt Lake City where it was liberal.

I'm in totally agreement with the designation of Salt Lake City as the gayest city in America. I still own a home there and spend most holidays in the state. Lots of bars, support organizations, and gay opportunities in that city. And the second largest parade in Utah is the Pride parade. It's also worthy to note that the head of the Democratic party in Utah is openly gay. Jim is also on the short list to lead the Human Rights Campaign in Washington, DC. Read more about that at HRC.

Archived