The Captain has turned on the seatbelt sign...

glutes
This topic is 4446 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad. Of course, no one in aviation calls any other pilot a "stunt" pilot and this guy wasn't one either. He was participating in a race held every year in RNO aka Reno, NV. The particular race was in the unlimited class which means the aircraft is not "stock" and can be modified to go much faster than originally designed.

The race participants are highly trained and have to be approved to participate. However, they are certainly aware they are pushing a machine to its' limits. Spectators are not supposed to be at very much risk and generally are not. This is the exception.

It is far too early to know if any physical incapacitation was any part of this accident. Each and every pilot must have a medical review on a regular basis and, by law, meaning the Federal Air Regulations, are required to remove themselves from flight status if they are ill.

Every day we go out and "play" in traffic, never giving much if any thought to going 75 MPH a very few feet from another car, the driver of which might be talking on a cell phone, putting on make-up or combing hair. The US manages to kill 30,000+ in this manner every year. Still, the onlookers at a race are entitled to a higher standard but accidents will happen unless we cancel each and every event.

I take it personally when other pilots are killed, even though I did not know this particular one. I am sure I know someone who did know him. Aviation is that tight.

Best regards,

KMEM

I read that the spectators who were killed were sitting on the tarmac in box seats and not those in the stands. I wonder why these seats were placed so close to the runway. Was this the fault of the organizers? Had those people not been sitting there it seems there would have been fewer casualties.

Latest news seems to be that it was likely a mechanical failure. No hint that the age of the pilot was a factor.

That said, I saw an expert on the news today who defended the races as being like NASCAR. NASCAR tracks have SOME barriers between the track & the spectators, as a rule. it seems to me that these air races have no barriers. Pilots are supposed to avoid the air space over spectators, but obviously that's wishful thinking if a plane goes out of control.

I have no idea how one would place a "barrier" between the crowd and the aircraft. If they were far enough away to be "safe", they would not be able to see the race. The FAA dictates a couple thousand feet between the "action" and the spectators but at 500 MPH how long does it take to fly a few thousand feet? Otherwise, the various crews might be closer, just like they are with NASCAR. The aircraft are not allowed to fly over the "crowd".

The drill with an emergency during the race is for the aircraft to pull up out of the race path and then talk to the tower about where to go and how to handle the emergency, a co-ordinated effort between the ground and aircraft. Obviously, with certain types of mechanical failures the pilot is just along for the ride which seems likely in this case.

Stunt pilot is a non-aviation media term. Aerobatic or acrobatic pilot is correct.

This guy lived 40 miles from my sister, not that she knew him but that is how aviation is, very close in many ways.

Best regards,

KMEM

Very sad. Of course, no one in aviation calls any other pilot a "stunt" pilot and this guy wasn't one either.

I take it personally when other pilots are killed, even though I did not know this particular one. I am sure I know someone who did know him. Aviation is that tight.

Best regards,

KMEM

Well Kaptain, racing or not, this 'tight' pilot of yours was flying low and near crowds. I consider that a stunt...

I consult with T. Michie about aviation safety and other matters including moral clarity...

"You fell...but in your fall you arose the angel," said one hand-written note signed by "neighbors," apparently referring to the widespread belief Mr. Leeward [the pilot] performed a last-second maneuver to avoid hitting more people. WSJ

That might account on why you're consulting a deceased minor league baseball player. I can only caution that you need to be sure you are using a reliable psychic medium. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=michie001t----

Thanks, MSGuy,

I had no idea who T. Michie was and still don't. There is a very simple answer to solving these kinds of issues---no more flights of any kind and everyone will be safe-----from aircraft accidents, but not from "modern" life.

Best regards,

KMEM

Thanks, MSGuy,

I had no idea who T. Michie was and still don't.

That's why I included the link, KMEM, though the stats guys admit their data is incomplete.

LOL, who could have imagined that baseball stat nuts were compiling detailed info from the 1920's on 3rd tier players in obscure Southern leagues. What on earth do they use this stuff for?

I have now read that the pilot modified the plane by lopping off 10 feet of wingspan. That that could be a factor in the crash, although a piece falling off the tail might also have contributed. I remember reading about the Mustang in accounts of WWII. It was a very fast plane but came in relatively late in the war.

The P-51 is a fascinating piece of history. It was just an average fighter until someone had the bright idea of installing the "Merlin" engine in it. No, not "our" Merlin. :) That enabled it to to climb high, go fast and be superior to every fighter of the time. It also provided an aircraft that could accompany bombers from England all the way to Germany and back, something not possible before. It definitely played a large part in WWII getting Germany to surrender.

Many aircraft have been modified for racing without any problems with their airworthiness. This allows them to make tighter turns and go faster, nice attributes in combat but mandatory in racing. This aircraft was modified; however, the real "danger" is pushing the engine to its' limits. More racers have had engines blow up than any other problem. The usual result is the aircraft pulls up out of the way and glides to a landing either on the airport or nearby without further damage to anyone. Engines such as this one are very expensive but that is beside the point when human life is at stake.

Personally, I think it doubtfull that clipping the wings had anything to do with the crash but I also think a control surface likely did fail, most likely the elevator or elevator trim tab. This is a pretty rare occurance. You may remember the Alaska Air Lines DC-9 that had a jackscrew fail which made the elevator uncontrollable. They flew around a while trying to control it enough for it to land with Edwards AFB being one airport under consideration. Unfortunately, it crashed killing all aboard.

Mechanical failures are rare but they do happen.

Best regards,

KMEM

Thanks, MSGuy,

I had no idea who T. Michie was and still don't. There is a very simple answer to solving these kinds of issues---no more flights of any kind and everyone will be safe-----from aircraft accidents, but not from "modern" life.

Best regards,

KMEM

http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/U.S./660/371/091711_nevada1.jpg

Fox News (aka KMEM-TV) is reporting that the pilots head is not visible as the P-51 was descending.

I will get in touch with T. Michie Hill and see what he has to say about this...

T. Mitchie's last known location was Little Rock (1926), just down the road from Memphis, and T. Michie is an unusual name. I bet the ball player was Mr. Hill's maternal grandfather!

LOL, all the more reason to consult him, I guess.

http://psychicsreadingsite.com/images/psychic_readings/psychic_readings_385x261.jpg

It's a small world after all...

Best regards,

KMEM

Well Aviation is that tight Captain. I mentioned to T. Michie Hill that I knew a dashing pilot of PUBLIC CHARTER aircraft out of MEM that flew around with a Min Pin, and by golly, he knows you! Wonder if he has ever met BN...?

Interesting, gloats, you take something that is "almost" true and then turn it into your own fantasy. It must be "wonderful" to live in never, never land all the time. I did used to know a Michie Hill. He has been dead for a few years now, so, if you are consulting him, you are doing it as MsGuy suggests, through your weird and wonderful hallucinations. Whatever it is that you are smoking, I don't want any.

Best regards,

KMEM

Well Aviation is that tight Captain. I mentioned to T. Michie Hill that I knew a dashing pilot of PUBLIC CHARTER aircraft out of MEM that flew around with a Min Pin, and by golly, he knows you! Wonder if he has ever met BN...?

Somehow I keep circling back to this post, glutes.

It stinks of something very unpleasant.

So you researched charter aviation in the Memphis area, came up with this out of date, 3rd party (Manta) info sheet on an aviation company listing T. Michie Hill as president and decided an implicit threat to cause KMEM difficulties in his business life would be just the thing to make for an amusing post?

This kind of thing is way beyond your usual, glutes, and very ugly.

I agree MsGuy, I was going to post on this hours ago. But changed my mind. Seems very close to a Term of Service violation regarding Personal Information.

Takes his stalkerish behavior to a whole new level. Time to freeze your keyboard again glutes

Somehow I keep circling back to this post, glutes.

It stinks of something very unpleasant.

So you researched charter aviation in the Memphis area, came up with this out of date, 3rd party (Manta) info sheet on an aviation company listing T. Michie Hill as president and decided an implicit threat to cause KMEM difficulties in his business life would be just the thing to make for an amusing post?

This kind of thing is way beyond your usual, glutes, and very ugly.

Archived