Other Desert Cities at the Booth

Lucky
This topic is 4584 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Lincoln Center production of Other Desert Cities is moving to the Booth Theater. I couldn't get a ticket when it was at Lincoln Center as the popular show had sold out, so I made sure to get one for my upcoming New York trip. I paid full price, but got an excellent seat. Now I hope I like the show!

Performances from 12 Oct 2011

Opening 03 Nov 2011

Closing 08 Jan 2012

Yup.

Other Desert Cities

Booth Theatre

A prodigal daughter returns home after a long absence and announces that she is about to publish a memoir dredging up a pivotal and tragic event in the family's history - a wound they don't want reopened. Starring Stockard Channing, Rachel Griffiths, Stacy Keach, Judith Light and Thomas Sadowski.

Synopsis:

A once-promising novelist, Brooke announces to her family the imminent publication of a memoir she has written about her brother Henry, an anti-war activist during the Vietnam War, who committed suicide after being implicated in a bombing at a military recruiting center. Her parents Lyman and Polly Wyeth, whose memories of their troubled son differ significantly from Brooke's, plead with their daughter not to bring Henry's tragic story to light after 30 years.

The play takes place in Palm Springs. I can't find out why it is called as it is.

In OTHER DESERT CITIES, Brooke Wyeth (Elizabeth Marvel) returns home to Palm Springs to visit her parents (Stockard Channing and Stacy Keach) after a six-year absence. A once-promising novelist, she announces to her family the imminent publication of a memoir dredging up a pivotal and tragic event in the family's history - a wound that her parents don't want reopened.

The title refers to an Exit sign you see en route to P.S. Really disliked this play. I'm SO over expensive plays wherein talented actors scream at one another for two hours (God Of Carnage), only to reveal contrived secrets toward the end (August Osage, Other Desert.)

7 years ago I thought The Pillowman was the beginning of progressive theater on the big stage. It was the beginning AND the end.

Rod, Charlie and I see that sign all of the time. That's why we wonder what it has to do with the play. We still don't know, other than that the play takes place in Palm Springs, not the Other Desert Cities.

I hope I like it as I paid full price!

though I now don't have any interest in seeing the play, the title is fairly clever, I guess.....

as the others said here, you see directional signs for "Palm Springs" (and) "other Desert Cities" along I-10 and in other areas near Palm Springs....I just drove I-10 a few days ago in this area and thought this may be the only highway sign I've ever seen that doesn't mention a specific town/city/region - simply "other Desert Cities"....even the lower case "other" was unusual for a regulation interstate directional sign.....I presume they used that particular wording because of the many small "cities" between Palm Springs and Indio and beyond.....

sorry to diverge from the actual topic.....but saw that intriguing sign a few days ago and just now this thread pops up.....somebody wondered about the title.....thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely one of the best nights of theater I have seen! A fabulous cast in a griping and dramatic story with a wonderful plot twist at the end.

Everyone is comenting on poor Stockard Channing's bad face lift...but you know, her character is supposed to look like that! Unfortunately Stockard's plastic surgeon could have done better!

Tony noms all around! An almost sold-out limited run until Jan 8...too bad.

I wonder if they'll try to get a secondary cast to extend the run?

ED

I concur on all counts. Performances are flawless and powerful. I will be very surprised if it doesn't extend, at least thru June. And interesting to see where Tony awards would fall. Sadosky and Light would certainly be in the Supporting category. Keach in Lead Actor. Stockard Channing in the Lead Actress category may be the one to beat, unless Rachel Griffiths is against her. Interesting.

The show goes on:

Other Desert Cities Is Now An Open-Ended Run; Tickets On Sale Through March 25, 2012

Jon Robin Baitz's Other Desert Cities, the new fiery family drama starring Stockard Channing, Stacy Keach and Judith Light, which opened to acclaim on Broadway Nov. 3, is now an open-ended engagement, Lincoln Center Theater announced Nov. 17.

Archived