Follies in NY

skynyc
This topic is 4566 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hope it's okay that I start a new thread here...there's a lot that was written about this production in DC, but not that is has moved to Broadway's Marquis theater, I think it deserves it's own headline.

I saw a preview of this this week and while there are many things that are the same, they have made many improvements...lots of spoilers here.

Bernadette Peters got a lot of comment about being miscast, etc...and perhaps she is, but in this incarnation, she is playing the most fragile Sally I have ever seen. I know she sings Losing My Mind, but here you almost wonder if, at the end of the show, she will break completely. It's pretty heart-wrenching. They have also changed her much-commented-on red dress and put her in a much frumpier gown for her initial entrance.

Her Buddy, played to perfection by Danny Burstein is one of the highlights of this show. Buddy's Blues is a tour de force. And I know it's early, but I really feel that this will be the performance to beat at next year's Tonys. (He was overlooked twice, as Adolfo in Drowsy Chaperone and Luther Bullis in South Pacific.)

Ron Raines continues to give the best Ben I have ever seen, and I have seen many. His baritone is perfectly suited to the material, and his look and demeanor are ideal for the philandering politico.

Jan Maxwell was my favorite part of the DC production and she is again here. Her dancing in the Lucy and Sally number has been tightened a bit, and she doesn't look as uncomfortable doing it, and her delivery of Leave You is blistering.

Now for some of the other tweaks. Thankfully Regine is out as Solange, and Mary Beth Piel is good. They have restored all of Solange's dialogue, and the Rain On the Roof/Paree/Broadway Baby number ends once again as a triple threat. (In DC they cut the original ending and just had Linda Lavin conclude that section with the full Broadway Baby.) Jayne Houdyshell is just terrific as Hattie, and for all the folks who were disturbed by the glamorous and youthful portrayal by Linda Lavin, will be glad to see this version. Once again portrayed as an elderly hoofer, (originated by Ethel Shutta, for whom the song was written), Ms. Houdyshell is brassy and bold and shows what survival means in terms of a theatrical career.

The modern Marquis' walls have been draped with fabric to convey the decrepit nature of the old, about-to-be-razed, theater, and the use of ghosts is as well done as was done in DC.

The four youngsters playing young Ben, Sally, Ben and Phyllis are again terrific.

There are deals for this show, and the Marquis is a big house. Even with a limited run, I expect tickets to be pretty available. And just to see this show with a 28 piece orchestra, (heck, I'll see any show with a 28 piece orchestra,) I recommend seeing this production, whether it's your first look at Follies or your fourteenth.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught this tonight without an intermission. It gets a bit long when there is no break but it was still a great night in the theater with several standing ovations at the end of the better known numbers. Surprising to me, although Ms. Peters' acting was sublime and her Sally is definitely a woman on the edge, her voice failed to measure up in the higher ranges. I felt like an American idol judge sitting there thinking: "Pitchy" Dapurplebear I hope your friends were the young male dancers who accompanied Ms Maxwell on Lucy and Sally and who wore those 70 style tight pants with confidence and bulges in all the right spots. One disappointment with the number, it starts our very dimly lit giving the impression that the male dancers are shirtless, alas, they are not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good grief, I admit it...I saw this again. This time with a Sondheim-fan friend of mine who hadn't seen it yet. We both loved it, and it was fun seeing him enjoy it. Jayne Houdyshell, Rosalind Elias and Terri White all continue to make their numbers luminescent, and the four principals continue to be terrific. Bernadette still doesn't sing the role as well as Barbara Cook did in the concert in '85, but she acts the hell out of it, although her pause at the very end as she gathers strength to leave the theater is so long now that I half expected a wrecking ball to crash through the back wall of the theater.

There's buzz about town that the producers are carefully watching the box office and discussing another extension with the performers. They are shooting for Tony nomination time, so they don't get forgotten.

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed the performances of Bernadette Peters, Jane Houdyshell, and Elaine Page. The males were no as strong, in my opinion. I am not as big a fan of Follies as skynyc, but fortunately he patiently explained to me the reasons he finds the show so appealing. I think it ultimately boils down to those who have a more romantic nature will enjoy the show more than us cynics....but at the same time, doesn't the show justify a certain level of cynicism?

I think it ultimately boils down to those who have a more romantic nature will enjoy the show more than us cynics....but at the same time' date=' doesn't the show justify a certain level of cynicism?[/quote']

I agree that FOLLIES does justify a certain level of cynicism. I have never been able to like the four major characters. I enjoyed the current production, but probably have seen the musical for the last time. I do like romantic musicals when they are done especially well like the recent SOUTH PACIFIC revival, but I prefer the original cast album with Mary Martin & Ezio Pinza. But, Martin & Pinza have an advantages because the songs were written specifically for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Better off getting the original Broadway Cast recording.

Going against the popular opinion...I found the show a huge disappointment! After all these years, the original production is still very strong in my mind.

This, to me, was a pale imitation ruined by the mis-casting of Bernadette Peters, Eileen Page (a favorite of mine normally), and almost everyone else - with few other exceptions (Ben, the 4 younger versions and Buddy -I saw the understudy, Joseph Kolinski who did a nice job). I have to agree with everyone else that Jan Maxwell was incredible! Her Phyliss was as good as, if not even better than, Alexis Smith's.

Other then "Dames at Sea" Peter's charm has eluded me. She slaughtered "Losing My Mind" and turned it into a cheap caterwall. Page was dressed in an idiotic costume and, although she sang her song well, it did not have the same power that it had when Yvonne DeCarlo sang it. DeCarlo was 'still here.' Page has never been away. Every one of the other specialty numbers fell flat. Where is the star power of a Lillian Montivecchi or an Ehtel Shutta?

The director told the story at a sluggish, non-theatrical, pace and all of the nostalgia, sparkle, wit and desparation of the original was lost. You can, however, hear it on the original cast album.

As an aside, I have to say that I am sick of 'standing ovations' for every single show that I see. I remember when they were reserved for only those shows that deserved them. Now it seems that everything gets one. Pity!

N13

Going against the popular opinion...I found the show a huge disappointment! After all these years, the original production is still very strong in my mind.

This, to me, was a pale imitation ruined by the mis-casting of Bernadette Peters, Eileen Page (a favorite of mine normally), and almost everyone else - with few other exceptions (Ben, the 4 younger versions and Buddy -I saw the understudy, Joseph Kolinski who did a nice job). I have to agree with everyone else that Jan Maxwell was incredible! Her Phyliss was as good as, if not even better than, Alexis Smith's.

Other then "Dames at Sea" Peter's charm has eluded me. She slaughtered "Losing My Mind" and turned it into a cheap caterwall. Page was dressed in an idiotic costume and, although she sang her song well, it did not have the same power that it had when Yvonne DeCarlo sang it. DeCarlo was 'still here.' Page has never been away.

Every one of the other specialty numbers fell flat. Where is the star power of a Lillian Montivecchi or an Ehtel Shutta?

The director told the story at a sluggish, non-theatrical, pace and all of the nostalgia, sparkle, wit and desparation of the original was lost. You can, however, hear it on the original cast album.

As an aside, I have to say that I am sick of 'standing ovations' for every single show that I see. I remember when they were reserved for only those shows that deserved them. Now it seems that everything gets one. Pity!

N13

I totally agree with N13 on this one-thought the show was a HUGE disappointment as it is one of my most favorite musicals> LOATHED Bernadette, (whom I have previously adored, but not in this or Little Night Music)> Self-indulgent performance, badly directed and no voice left-also totally unbelievable as a housewife who has let herself go> Loved Epstein as Buddy, liked the ingenue young Heidi but that was it> I thought Ron Raines sang very well as Ben but was dramatically bland-Paige shouted her number in a one-note angry rant devoid of humor, and the direction was leaden, almost making one think actors were missing their cues. I thought Jan Maxwell was good, but ultimately lacked star charisma that would have made her great. I also agree that everything gets a standing ovation, possibly because audiences are so determined to love what they paid a fortune for they think it HAS to be good> I remained firmly seated for this one.

1960 Musicals and Bonnie & Clyde

In a small part was Susan Watson who played Kim MacAfee in Bye Bye Birdie. It was 1960 and the first Broadway show I saw. I'm happy she's still working it. I'm happy I am too.

That's interesting because my first Broadway shows were also in 1960. There were too many young actors and actresses in Gypsy and The Sound of Music for me to remember their names. Who knows at least one of the kids may be on Broadway all these years later.

In reply to the recent "Follies" comments, I hope "Bonnie and Clyde" is a big hit. Maybe Wildhorn has finally written songs that will made people forget Sondheim for a few days.

The NY Times yesterday had an article on the new Bonnie & Clyde, essentially detailing Wildhorn's flop with Wonderland and expressing the thinking that the music of the new Bonnie & Clyde will be what makes it a success, along with the star, Jeremy Jordan.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/11/24/arts/WILDHORN2/WILDHORN2-articleLarge.jpg

As I mentioned before, I enjoyed the show in LaJolla with Stark Sands in the lead, but can't say I remember the music.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/theater/frank-wildhorn-composer-of-bonnie-clyde.html?_r=1&ref=theater

Archived