Whats Up with these Flip-Flops ????

jjkrkwood
This topic is 4690 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hated sand in my toes :(

... best bet is to wear shoes rather than flip flops due to the risk of foot cancer...from the blazing sun and all.

There's an alternative solution for you, Joey ... :D :cool:

http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2010/05/25141-socks_sandals_opinion.jpg

(just kidding: NEVER wear socks with flip-flops or sandals)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something even worse than flip flops I see allot of around here. Saggy pants

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/josephga/ar125495800674614.jpg

Well I dont think flip-flops are all that bad, which is why I started the thread, but those saggy pants, I just dont get the point !!

Now, don't get me wrong...yes they do look sexy on some people but it's not proper.

If we refrained from all the things that other people consider "proper" we would end up not being able to do anything at all.

Here's a very random, off the top of my head list of things that are considered by a lot of people not only not proper, but incredibly rude:

Touching anything with your left hand, not belching after a meal, tipping, complimenting your children, showing any amount of skin aside from the skin around your eyes, having premarital sex or sex outside of marriage, shaking hands, making eye contact, not sleeping with someone else's wife when offered, taking pictures of a person, eating an animal that has at any moment touched the ground, eating someone's asshole, not making eye contact, not tipping, not getting high, wearing white after labour day, touching any food with your lips and putting it back on the plate, turning tricks... this ridiculous list could go forever.

I am all for saying that this thing or other doesn't suit your personal tastes and that you avoid it, but when we enter the realm of making the blank statement that certain behaviour is not proper, then I think we are setting ourselves not only for being endlessly annoyed, but also for being wrong.

I celebrate that we all have very specific preferences and personal beliefs about all subjects, but we have to remember that we will never -under any circumstance, will satisfy everyone else. All we can hope for is to be as mindful and considerate as we can, while at the same time being kind to ourselves. It is a delicate balance.

Sure, sometimes I see a pair of feet in sandals that I would have rather not seen, sometimes I see people wearing white after labour day... sometimes I even see people wearing white sport socks with a suit and black dress shoes. All I can do is make note of what I don't want for myself and simply get on with my own business.

And yes... some people have incredibly sexy feet! (With a high arch or even without it.)

If we refrained from all the things that other people consider "proper" we would end up not being able to do anything at all.

Here's a very random, off the top of my head list of things that are considered by a lot of people not only not proper, but incredibly rude:

OK, that definently makes sense. If we want to go off subject and branch 1 thing amongst millions to defend this flip flop bonanza (remember I didn't bring up the topic LOL). Well maybe "not proper" wasn't the word I was looking to use.

Regardless of the above, I don't agree with them for EVERY single occasion. I don't necessarily care what anyone chooses to wear, as I'm going to wear what I want as well...but I would prefer if I'm on a date with someone for them to put a little bit more effort on what's on their feet. The old ice breaker, "I love your shoes" can now be a sign of sexual harrassement, "nice feet!"

I've dated guys who I met wearing flip flops. Guess what? EVERY time I see them thereafter they wore them. The movies. The nightclub. Out to dinner. The pool. The bedroom. How can that 1 pair of footwear have the oppurtunity to walk upon the ground of ALL of those places? The same soles that walked amongst vomit, popcorn, sticky soda...is now going to be in the floor of your bathroom wear you get out barefoot? EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

There's no health benefit to wearing flip flops. All the things you mentioned are more 'moral' type of things. Flip flops on the other hand are just plain bad. It hardens your soles, dirties your feet, and my favorite...if someone steps on the top of them as your heel lifts from them it's a trip and fall liabilty LOL. It also contributes to back pain.

, wearing white after labour day,

Juan - Take the above off your list. It is now acceptable and proper. White is a year round color.

You made me laugh with this. =)

As you may have guessed I am not much for following rules; I love white at any time and have been known to do many of the things in that list.

Oh, well! Sue me! =)

So often I see the wisdom in your writing, Juan. But this time I think you've missed the boat and obfuscated the issue entirely by equating the concept of sharing one's wife with a houseguest with the correctness of wearing flip flops. Joey was right - the list that you included had more to do with cultural traditions and mores than simple matters of taste within a given culture. Believe me, most of the people I see walking around with tacky flip flops and flat feet are not offering their wives to house guests as the Inuit might do. (I hope I've got that right).

Believe me, most of the people I see walking around with tacky flip flops and flat feet are not offering their wives to house guests as the Inuit might do. (I hope I've got that right).

Meanwhile, we don't wear flip-flops and yet we always offer each other to houseguests. Go figure... :p

I love white at any time and have been known to do many of the things in that list.

Me too, I didn't even realize the concept until one of my more fashion conscious friends made a comment about it . Most of the clothes in Florida were bright and white and flip flops...one can't avoid wearing White.

Besides I used to work in a bank. Who doesn't wear White downtown? That was the only safe place to avoid flip flops. The financial district.

Is that a Klansman joke?! :p

LOL...I'm so daft I didn't even notice that. I was like what?

Guest Bauer
Touching anything with your left hand, not belching after a meal, tipping, complimenting your children, showing any amount of skin aside from the skin around your eyes, having premarital sex or sex outside of marriage, shaking hands, making eye contact, not sleeping with someone else's wife when offered, taking pictures of a person, eating an animal that has at any moment touched the ground, eating someone's asshole, not making eye contact, not tipping, not getting high, wearing white after labour day, touching any food with your lips and putting it back on the plate, turning tricks... this ridiculous list could go forever.
Winter white (warm white) is fine after Labor Day.

Archived