Congratulations, New York !!!

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4665 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NEW YORK SAYS "I DO"

"In a historic vote with far-reaching implications, the New York state Senate passed the marriage equality bill on Friday,

making New York the sixth and most populous state in addition to Washington, D.C. to offer civil marriage for same-sex couples."

http://www.advocate.com/uploadedImages/ADVOCATE/NEWS/2011/2011-06/2011-06-22/NYMarriage_Passes.jpg

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/06/24/New_York_Passes_Marriage_Equality_Bill/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rich.
It was a really exciting, emotional day!

Munroe, you no-good, two-timing, low-life slut. You promised ME your hand. AND after I swallowed'n'all. Shame on you. Varlet. :p

Sincere congrats. New York. From your British cousins! :D

Richard

This more than doubles the number of people in the U.S. who live in a same-sex marriage state. Over 11% of the U.S. population now lives in one. Plus there's just the momentum of the sixth state being the Empire State.

I think it will be a LONG time before we see this in the Deep South, but I suspect a few more states will go the way of the "Gay Six" pretty soon. At some point, I think all of the West Coast and Northeastern states from Maryland on up will have it.

Guest Bauer
I am THRILLED that our legislalture, so often a source of disgust and shame over the past decades, has done someting right! What a wonderful gift for Pride Week!
What a wonderful development following the LGBT fundraiser for the President. It is truly a feather in the cap for those who shook the President's hand and had their photo taken with him, as they handed over their check.

I would've thought it would be top of the news on Daddy's splash page yesterday but it wasn't.

Thanks, Steven! It was a really exciting, emotional day!

You're welcome, Rick. I'm really glad and happy for you, guys. :)

Someone literally woke me up last night with this great news. I see that it made the international news today - all the channels here marked the event.

I hear it was quite emotional in New York. Keep up the good work, folks.

I would've thought it would be top of the news on Daddy's splash page yesterday but it wasn't.

Probably because the news came late on Friday, but I'm confident that Daddy will find a way to mark the event in one way or another.

Cheers, Steven ~

If we all want to thank someone it should be the Governor of New York - Andrew M Cuomo. While the President prevaricated and stalled on the issue Cuomo when out and made it happen. He twisted arms, convinced Republican money men to support the bill and neutralized the Catholic Church. ANDREW CUOMO is the hero of the moment.

Guest Bauer
Probably because the news came late on Friday, but I'm confident that Daddy will find a way to mark the event in one way or another.[/color]
Steven, I was actually talking of the dinner.

Best Regards.

And with Monday being the 42nd anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising, it is an amazing tribute. It should electrify the Pirde Parades tomorrow, both in NY and SF. Happy pride to all who are going. Thank you Andrew Cuomo and the four Republican senators and all the democrats who voted for it.

But Decatur Guy I'm afraid is right. Here in Virginia, with our neanderthal attorney general and governor, the only way it will have any actual effect is for DOMA to be ruled the unconstitutionl law it really is. Full faith and credit are simply empty words as it stands now.

Guest Bauer
Sorry, Bauer. I misunderstood your post and spoke too fast. My apologies.

Epigonos, thanks for the clarification and THANK YOU, Andrew M Cuomo ! [/color]

No Steven, really. The way I wrote the entry, it was oh so easy to misunderstand or to be misunderstood. Mea culpa. I was just surprised that the LGBT pre-vote dinner didn't make the splash.

Sadly, this vote which came upon the heels of that fun draiser isn't all to the benefit of queer folk, at least not to those not so queer (cuir) who are high earners. They took it on the chin, as the NYT reported:

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/how-gay-marriage-will-change-couples-financial-lives/

Guest Bauer

FYI: On Thursday, Ron Reagan substituted in for Chris Matthews on the "Hardball with Chris Matthews" show on the NBC/Universal subsidiary MSNBC. Reagan took umbrage on that show with a segment on "The Daily Show" (Comedy Central's show with John Stewart). The segment called appropriately enough "Puppet Theater" showed Senator John McCain, on Wednesday's Comedy Central Daily Show as just that -- as a puppet.

Not that that idea is a laughing matter, (albeit a Washington laughing matter) to the congresses of New York State.

Just in terms of how the thing went down ... without so much as a splash and a burn.

But Decatur Guy I'm afraid is right. Here in Virginia, with our neanderthal attorney general and governor, the only way it will have any actual effect is for DOMA to be ruled the unconstitutionl law it really is. Full faith and credit are simply empty words as it stands now.

It's going to be a long time before the South relents on this. Probably not in my lifetime.

Virginia and North Carolina would probably be the first two states in the old Confederacy to go that way.

amazing news! I love you NEW YORK! My first love is a New Yorker and even though I have not spoken to him in several years I am sure somewhere in the Big Apple tonight my ex Danny is having one hell of a celebration party! To think when he and I were dating in the 90's that this day would even EVER be possible was a stretch. Thank you Gov. Cuomo too.

Guest Rich.

Actually, I've decided I'm holding out for legalised Gay Marriage, you know where you can finally do 'it', in a Church. I can't wait to see Munroe walk up the aisle in a WHITE leather jumpsuit, to a hymn of mass hysteria! I mean WHITE, c'mon, really? :p

Richard

Archived