Southwest pilot rant

nate_sf
This topic is 4720 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

By now you've probably heard about the Southwest pilot's antigay/misogynist rant that was broadcast over an open frequency. What I found interesting about the recording however wasn't the rant (nothing we haven't all heard before), but how the air traffic control jumps in and shuts down the rant, and the pilots on another flight chime in "it wasn't us... no wonder pilots have such a bad reputation." Here's a link to the recording:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/28313494/index.html

It was not only an antigay (gay) and misogynistic (grannies) comment, but also antiobese (grandees). If the pilots only want cute skinny playboy model stewardesses, i suggest they work for an asian airline. I find the girls on Singapore Airlines/Cathay hot enough to make this gay boy consider batting for the other team.

By now you've probably heard about the Southwest pilot's antigay/misogynist rant that was broadcast over an open frequency. What I found interesting about the recording however wasn't the rant (nothing we haven't all heard before), but how the air traffic control jumps in and shuts down the rant, and the pilots on another flight chime in "it wasn't us... no wonder pilots have such a bad reputation." Here's a link to the recording:

http://www.click2houston.com/video/28313494/index.html

An ex-boyfriend of mine is a flight attendant for a major Dutch airline (KLM). He does long-haul flights and after they get to destination the whole crew - flight attendants and pilots - get together for a drink and social hour. Provided nobody is 'forced' to attend the latter, I've never heard about any homophobic rants.

I think that record, which Nate provided a link to, might be an isolated case rather than a general attitude. But then again some Southwest pilots might be less 'uptight' than others. :)

It was not only an antigay (gay) and misogynistic (grannies) comment, but also antiobese (grandees).

Ah, so that's what a "grande" is. I was wondering what that term referred to.

I think Steven is correct, this is probably an isolated incident (one hopes). That's what I found interesting from the reactions of others on the audio, the other pilots did not join in and the one guy said this is the kind of thing that gives pilots a bad name. I'd bet the individual in the rant probably irritates everybody he works with - people probably dread having to have a shift with him!

I have a friend who is a flight attendant and goes only on long haul flights for a major European Airline. He comes to the US frequently, and often provides massage services on his layovers... no pun intended. He has regaled me with many fun stories of the crew getting together after the flight and the fraternization that occurs with other flight crews. He loves this life and apparently many of the guys and gals as well as the pilots enjoy their time together, as well as meeting other guys and gals in the countries/cities that they visit. To bad this guy didn't know when to stop his ranting.

I was trying to figure out whether or not the pilot(s)that chimed in and said they weren't the original speaker actually was the original speaker and was trying to throw suspicion off him. I wasn't sure if the air traffic controllers could tell for certan which plane it had come from.

Rex

Ah, so that's what a "grande" is. I was wondering what that term referred to.

Lol. Same, here, I had no idea what that meant until now. Is that a common term?

By the way, its kind of funny that this is a Southwest pilot complaining about the women. Southwest used to be known as THE airline for "hot' stewardesses.

That's what I found interesting from the reactions of others on the audio, the other pilots did not join in and the one guy said this is the kind of thing that gives pilots a bad name. I'd bet the individual in the rant probably irritates everybody he works with - people probably dread having to have a shift with him!

I was also amused at the "that wasn't me" broadcasts after the first guy's mic was closed.

I often listen to the air traffic control audio channel when I fly, and I know I'm not alone. One wonders whether any of the passengers on board (particularly grannies and grandes) had anything other than an icy stare for the flight crew after landing. I wonder if the guy's testicles have dropped back down yet.

Follow up

24 June 2011

By Orlando Parfitt

A pilot was suspended after his sexist, homophobic and swear-word-laden rant was accidently broadcast on an air traffic control frequency.

The Southwest Airlines pilot, who has not been named, didn’t realise his microphone was on as he chatted to another crew member.

He made the shocking comments during a flight back on 25 March. He was initially suspended without pay, but has now been reinstated after attending a ‘diversity course’.

In the rant, a recording of which is now online, the pilot complains about the lack of eligible women working as flight attendants for the airline.

He says that, among 12 flight attendants in the Chicago crew, "eleven are f**king over the top f**king *** f**king homosexuals and a granny. Eleven! Think of the odds of that!”

The pilot then describes staff as a “continuous stream of gays and grannies and grandes”.

Turning his attention to Huston, he reckons it is “easily one of the ugliest bases."

During the tirade, an air traffic controller centre tells pilots in the area to check if their microphones are on.

"Someone has got a stuck mic and is telling us all about their endeavours. We don't need to hear that."

Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King said the pilot was reprimanded and added: "The actions of this pilot are, without question, inconsistent with the professional behaviour and overall respect that we require from our employees.”

The airline also apologised to its flight crews and pilots.

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3361359

I am not about to defend this pilot. What he said was rude, crude and obnoxious. However, who among us has never said something they would not wish to have broadcast? He had a stuck mike and was broadcasting on an ATC frequency which was heard by many and recorded. This was intended to be and thought to be a private conversation. Also, who among us has not exaggerated their words and ideas when "performing" for an "interested" audience (the other pilot)?

Best regards,

KMEM

I am not about to defend this pilot. What he said was rude, crude and obnoxious. However, who among us has never said something they would not wish to have broadcast? He had a stuck mike and was broadcasting on an ATC frequency which was heard by many and recorded. This was intended to be and thought to be a private conversation. Also, who among us has not exaggerated their words and ideas when "performing" for an "interested" audience (the other pilot)?

So you're saying that there are times when what he said is appropriate or acceptable, and the problem here is that he got caught?

Archived