‘Book of Mormon’ Musical Called Surprisingly Sweet

OneFinger
This topic is 3720 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The "Book of Mormon" musical (from the creators of "South Park") opened for previews at the Eugene O’Neill Theater in New York. A review in the Salt Lake Tribune calls the play "surprising sweet".

Read the full article at:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51314880-78/mormon-lds-book-mormons.html.csp

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/The_Book_of_Mormon_poster.jpg

Has anyone seen it yet?

I saw it last Wednesday night and found it to be surprisingly boring. The first big number "FU God" started out good but it all went downhill after that. I was looking forward to being shocked and offended but found myself yawning through most of the show. So the review above was pretty accurate if you're looking for "surprisingly sweet". I wasn't. Hard to believe the creators of South Park and Avenue Q have put out such a bland show.

The audience seemed to love it and I kept wondering "why"? The average South Park episode has more "bite" to it and you can see that for free. I always go into a Broadway theater wanting to like something since even a ticket at the TKTS booth is expensive and I hate wasting money. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks...

I saw this tonight, and am a bit perplexed. There's a lot to like, and even plenty to be bored by. One does become somewhat anaesthetised to the use of foul language and so the shocks definitely become less. And like The Producers, there's not a lot of savvy to the music or lyrics...simple forced rhymes, and melodies that are take-offs of other things, all of which are significantly elevated by the caliber of the voices and the arrangements. But we really did like it for the most part, and yes there is a real sweetness to it. And what a pleasure to be seeing the first truly ORIGINAL musical in a while.

Spoilers coming now...there's a man who is shot in the face and killed which was a real shock for me...but look at the blood in a South Park episode. As to the comment by foxy...I am not surprised that there's less bite here...for audiences paying $120 bucks you have to watch how far you push the envelope...and the average fan of South Park is not going to go see this as often as they are going to watch their TiVo'ed SP episodes. They had to maintain some semblance of mainstream entertainment.

Looking around, there were definitely some folks who didn't realize what they had gotten themselves into. And the two seats in the center of t the front row of the front mezz were conspicuously empty after intermission. The girl right next to me sat there very tensely until her boyfriend started laughing about halfway through. Then she seemed to enjoy it more.

The spoofs of Lion King and Disney were quite funny, the Hell sketch went on for two verses too many. And the I Believe and Baptism songs were both great...both power ballads with tons of irony.

The cast is young, fresh-faced and seemed aptly ready to ring your doorbell and entice you to open your minds to a new look at tomorrow.

But there were truly some of the funniest moments I can remember onstage in a long time.

I suspect that this will get good reviews, and the discounts will disappear for awhile, so if you are curious, (and you should be, <ha>) use the Playbill.com or Theatermania discounts now before the reviews come out next Friday. I bought my tix for a Friday night ($69.50) middle of last week, and we were in the front mezz, on the side. Very good.

I agree that Broadway shows have to appeal to a mainstream audience and maybe (ahem) I don't fit into that category. That's a joke. It just seems to me that there is an audience for shows that push the envelope and I guess that's what I was looking for and hence my disappointment. I think Avenue Q came closer to the mark and it certainly had a successful run. South Park has a large following and it's creators have gotten pretty rich and famous doing what they do. No doubt they will make even more money from this show but I feel they sold out pandering to a more acceptable entertainment. If they had written the kind of show I was hoping for it probably would have closed in a week. No doubt that's why fame and fortune continue to elude me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be fair I've read a number of very positive reviews of this show. Maybe I just had an off night. I'm sure my negative review has caused a major drop in ticket sales. Well, maybe not. So everyone should go see it.

• 3 months later...

Saw this show two nights ago and am still trying to find a reason for all the hype. I found little to like about it. Yes there are a couple of numbers that seem to work, but for the most part I was bored. I felt parts of it were simply crude, relying on four letter words and simulated sex acts to get laughs rather than being truly creative and original. The cast is young and works hard, but the show never soars or ignites. Talked with some folks at intermission and they also were disappointed. Let's hope that next season Broadway presents some truly outstanding musicals.

• 3 weeks later...

My nephew stood in line 3 hours today (102 degrees and 30% humidity) to get a standing room ticket to the play. I was amazed he was able to get one and it only cost $27.00.

He said it was incredible and exactly what you'd expect from Stone and Parker. Said he laughed so hard he almost cried.

• 1 year later...

I had to do some searching to find this old thread... I finally got to see the Book of Mormon. Tickets are still very expensive, no TKTS or TDF discounts and it's always sold out... I purchased my tickets 3 months in advance... One of the requirements to enjoy this show is to park your religious attitudes at the door. Yes, it's irreverent but in an entertaining sort of way and not to be taken personally... The cast is excellent and the songs are entertaining. For me, never a dull moment. The skit put on by the Ugandans about the Mormon faith according to "Arnold" was definitely a highlight... BTW, it's time for Broadway Cares. Cast members were at the doors collecting donations.

I just got tickets to "The Book of Mormon" at the Kennedy Center this summer - playing there from mid-July to mid-August. Tickets went on sale to the general public yesterday. They expect the run to sell out quickly. I believe the agent said this is the a stop on an extended national tour. Check the show's New York web site - it should have information on National tours.

• 1 year later...

Archived