Surely you can't be serious....Leslie Nielsen has died

azdr0710
This topic is 4936 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I thought he was a very good dramatic actor but really was special when doing his comedic roles. Some of the best lines in the Airplane movie were by Dr. Rumack (aka Leslie Nielsen):

Dr. Rumack: You'd better tell the captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.

Elaine: A hospital? What is it?

Dr. Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Ted Striker: Surely there must be something we can do about it.

Dr. Rumack: There is something we can do about it. And please, stop calling me Shirley.

The Airplane movie was the first time I ever recall really laughing out loud for almost an entire movie and I still love to watch it to this day. Mr. Nielsen was great in it.

R.I.P. Leslie

Leslie Nielsen was also well-known for practical jokes in real life. Some years ago, the BBC invited him to come to Scotland to appear in their celebrity golf television series. They asked him if he was available on certain dates and if he would be prepared to accept a modest fee but with his airfare and first class hotel offered for him and his wife. He confirmed all this was acceptable and in due course arrived in Glagsow to be met by the BBC producer who wanted to whisk him straight on to the golf course for some practice.

At this stage, Mr Nielsen pointed out that he did not play golf - all the BBC had asked was whether he was available and if the small fee would be acceptable.

Cue panic amongst the BBC executives who managed to round up a minor golf-playing celebrity for the televised match with Mr Nielsen providing a few on-screen cameos.

I was extremely ill with "Delhi belly" in a hotel room in Goa, so I turned on the TV, and "Airplane!" was being shown. I have never laughed so hard while vomiting and shitting.

Now there is a visual I don't think I will get out of my head for quite a while. Thanks for the laugh Charlie.

And thank you Leslie for all the many wonderful, wonderful laughs. A true comedic master. He will be missed.

I first became aware of Leslie Nielsen when I was a kid and watched the Disney episodic TV series "Swamp Fox of the Revolution," starring Nielsen as Col. Francis Marion, a commander of frontier forces confronting the Red Coats in the Carolinas during the American Revolutionary War. The young Nielsen was hot, hot, hot -- and despite Disney's reputation for "family entertainment," we got to see a bit of flesh. Not least in a scene where he was captured by his British tormentor and subjected to a flogging (shirtless, no less). I thought he was a fine dramatic actor, and I was actually stunned and disappointed when he turned to comedy later in his career. But then he turned out to be so gifted at it that I changed my opinion and became a fan all over again. R.I.P.

I wonder whether those old "Swamp Fox" episodes will ever resurface on DVD?

I first became aware of Leslie Nielsen when I was a kid and watched the Disney episodic TV series "Swamp Fox of the Revolution," starring Nielsen as Col. Francis Marion, a commander of frontier forces confronting the Red Coats in the Carolinas during the American Revolutionary War. The young Nielsen was hot, hot, hot -- and despite Disney's reputation for "family entertainment," we got to see a bit of flesh. Not least in a scene where he was captured by his British tormentor and subjected to a flogging (shirtless, no less). I thought he was a fine dramatic actor, and I was actually stunned and disappointed when he turned to comedy later in his career. But then he turned out to be so gifted at it that I changed my opinion and became a fan all over again. R.I.P.

wow - I remember the series but I can't quite visualize the lead actor. I hadn't realized it was him until I read the obit.

Google "Swamp Fox tv series"...it is a 3 Box Set!

This thread can't go without mention of Nielsen's straight-man star turn in 'Forbidden Planet.'

Great little Leonard Maltin interview with Nielsen about his role in this sf classic:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/archives/2010/11/29/leslie_nielsen_and_forbidden_planet#

Some outtakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baTYn-Sh2xs

I thought outtakes were scenes NOT in the released movie. It has been a while since I viewed this movie but those scenes seemed terribly familar to me. :) I expected to see something like a midget getting into Robby's suit or a wild animal actually eating one of the actors, etc. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Re the Swamp Fox series on DVD. I checked on Amazon, and it seems Disney has released a compilation set with only three of the eight episodes.

Then there is a website offering a limited edition of the entire series, but it is not a "name brand" website - indeed, it's some kind of anonymous website and I am reluctant to use my credit card to buy something from an unknown website that is likely to be a pirate set of DVD's made off some old VHS tapes that somebody made from an off-the-air broadcast of the series. (The reviews posted on the Amazon site indicate that the series was rebroadcast a few years back so it is possible somebody taped it off the air and has made DVDs privately.)

Perhaps Disney will release the entire series on DVD as a memorial to Nielsen?

Archived