Suggestions for Manhattan, New York Hotels

ajirons09
This topic is 5017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Manhattan, New York On Monday, September 13th and will be departing early Friday afternoon, September 17th. Since this will be my first time without company in the Big Apple i am unsure of where to stay... Would some of you be helpful in suggesting hotels for me to stay during my visit in NYC? Thank you so much for your time and consideration and i look forward to my NYC trip and meeting all of you.

Warmest Regards,

AJ Irons

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NY Hotel

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Manhattan, New York On Monday, September 13th and will be departing early Friday afternoon, September 17th. Since this will be my first time without company in the Big Apple i am unsure of where to stay... Would some of you be helpful in suggesting hotels for me to stay during my visit in NYC? Thank you so much for your time and consideration and i look forward to my NYC trip and meeting all of you.

Warmest Regards,

AJ Irons

I usually stay at the Doubletree Metropolitan on Lexington Avenue at 51st Street. Nice location, nice room and easy to restaurants.

Would some of you be helpful in suggesting hotels for me to stay during my visit in NYC?

There's plenty of choice for hotels in NYC. The recommendations would after all depend on your budget and the area you might want to consider. I usually prefer Midtown West/Times Square while others stay in Chelsea or Uptown.

A few quick ideas: The Maritime hotel or The Gansevoort in Chelsea

The Night hotel or Ink 48 (a Kimpton hotel) in Midtown West just to name a few.

Hugs, Steven ~

Hello everyone,

Warmest Regards,

AJ Irons

I confess, I have become paranoid about bedbugs, after all the recent news stories about their resurgence in NYC & other cities.

For what it's worth: http://www.bedbugregistry.com/

Guest Spanky
I have directed several people to the Night Hotel and it usually is a bargain. Very sexy atmosphere.

Why is it not surprising that so many men here choose to stay in the hotel voted "the sexiest in america"?

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Manhattan, New York On Monday, September 13th and will be departing early Friday afternoon, September 17th. Since this will be my first time without company in the Big Apple i am unsure of where to stay... Would some of you be helpful in suggesting hotels for me to stay during my visit in NYC?

Maybe the Willard, or the Mayflower, or the Watergate. No, wait thoses are in D.C. No wait, maybe you should visit DC as well (hint, hint, hint). I'm a couple of hours out of DC but if our schedules worked out, I'd drive in (with a smile on my face and a lump in my pants). I'm sure there are many others who would love to see you in DC as well. Maybe not this trip east (my schedule's awful now anyway) but in the future, think about it.

I've recently discovered the Kimpton hotels and am trying to support them as much as possible if and when I can and if I can afford it. They are boutique hotels and at times can be a bit more expensive. But they have 2 things that draws me to them -- they are the most pet friendly hotel chain I've ever seen (which is important to me). But even more so, they are proudly up front about their support of the LGBT community and I think supporting a company like that is worthwhile if I can. If it's out of your budget, that's very understandable, but all else being equal, I'm going to try to support them. But that's just MHO. Kimpton does have 4 hotels in NYC but they do seem to be a bit pricey during the time of your visit so it may not work for you but just something to consider when travelling.

Lee

I will second one of Steven Draker's suggestions. That is the Night Hotel. It is one of the "boutique" hotels, and has a unique Gothic theme. Have stayed there several times and enjoyed it very much. It is located at 132 West 45th Street. Believe the website is http://www.nighthotelny.com

Night Hotel is great location, great theme, very sexually charged, clean.... only drawback small rooms but the underlit beds and headboards make up for it LOL. Have fun in NY

...but they do seem to be a bit pricey during the time of your visit...

The UN General Assembly opens that week and the NYC Hotels are usually booked to the max due to the influx of heads of state, diplomats, and their entourages... especially the big chain hotels... Indeed a friend who works at one such hotel advised me to stay away during that time frame. Consequently, a lesser known property might be your best bet... but still they will tend to up their rates given the situation... Best of luck...

AJ -- I just checked the Night Hotel and they show no availability at all during anytime in September. I also checked the Kimpton Hotels. The hotels that do have availability during the 13th - 17th raise their rates by almost $200/day (probably due to the UN) as compared to the week before (6th - 10th). If money's no problem, it shouldn't discourage you. But from what I'm seeing, it's going to be a lot more expensive during the week you planned than a few weeks before or a few weeks after. Just MHO.

All the best.

Lee

The Whip Man knows his Hotels! He has left 1 or 2 Toys in some of the Finest Hotels in Manhattan!

We could have a treasure hunt if he'd give us a few names of the hotels where the toys might be located. And the turnout would be huge if he promised to show any finder the proper use if the toys were found :)

Lee

Thank you all for your time and the plentiful recommendations for hotels in NYC. It was extremely helpful and gave me several ideas on where to stay for future visits. I'm bummed that i was unaware of the UN General Assembly opening that week, because it has seemed to hike up the rates up to $200 a day... Grrrr! It's been difficult to find availability in hotels as well. Not to mention the ones that were my top five. None the less, my search will continue and hopefully I will find a hotel to my liking and with a good location. Otherwise, I will simply stay with a friend. I'd like to once again thank all of you for all the recommendations and most of all for your time. Hugs to all of you!

AJ

It's not just the UN. From Labor Day until Christmas is always the most expensive time to book a hotel in New York City.

I am going to the U.S. Tennis Tournament tomorrow, Friday and Saturday (perhaps with hurricane Edgar). Months ago I booked the Pod Hotel, 230 E. 51th Street @ $128 a night. The Pod is a no frills hotel, booked mainly by European students. But, it's clean and, in many many stays there, no bed bugs. If you run out of other options, keep it in mind. My favorite low cost hotel otherwise is 6 Columbus Circle, but you will not find a good rate in the fall.

It's not just the UN. From Labor Day until Christmas is always the most expensive time to book a hotel in New York City.

I am going to the U.S. Tennis Tournament tomorrow, Friday and Saturday (perhaps with hurricane Edgar). Months ago I booked the Pod Hotel, 230 E. 51th Street @ $128 a night. The Pod is a no frills hotel, booked mainly by European students. But, it's clean and, in many many stays there, no bed bugs. If you run out of other options, keep it in mind. My favorite low cost hotel otherwise is 6 Columbus Circle, but you will not find a good rate in the fall.

Isn't it something how the primary criterion for choosing a hotel is not location, price, quality, or even brand loyalty. It's all about the bed bugs. Well, it also sounds like you may have the opportunity to view some European man candy. That's an important factor as well, to be sure.

Have fun at the Open!

Recently renovated from it's former life as a down-and-out SRO, the GEM Hotel in Chelsea looks interesting. A bit on the pricey side but located near public transportation (The E train stops up the block on 23rd St), many gay bars, restaurants, the Highline, Chelsea Piers, and shopping, it looks interesting.

I don't know anyone who has stayed there, so it would be interesting if anyone on the thread has had any experience with this hotel.

http://www.ascendcollection.com/hotel-new_york-new_york-NY426

ED

Guest countryboywny

I've stayed at the Chelsea Savoy Hotel on W. 23rd between 7th and 8th. Clean, comfortable rooms, but no restaurant, or bar. The location, however, is great!

Thank you all for your time and the plentiful recommendations for hotels in NYC.

Your welcome, AJ. However, I do have one bone to pick with you (no, not that bone, although I would LOVE to pick that one too). Your ads say you are a "fairily handsome fella". To an old crone like me, that's like saying Bill Gates is "fairly well off". Damn man, you're gorgeous. So stop, the pretty handsome. Pretty please???

Lee

The Windham on the the Upper West Side is also pretty convenient - 76th Street west of Broadway. I stayed there recently while having some work done in my apartment in the neighborhood. They were friendly, and I had a small suite not too unreasonably priced for NYC during vacation season.

Archived