Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o_O

a849005b-2669-4b57-a1ce-61b986ee9491-original.jpeg

Reminds me of how some people allegedly find empty NYC apartments by scouring the obituaries.

Love me some Toshiro Mifune! Wonder how many people know who he is.

Kevin Slater

::sadface:: I guess my references to Toshiro Mifune (and even photos, jeez) whenever the subject of man buns and perceptions of Asian masculinity arise have gone unnoticed. He's one of the greats of Japanese cinema! We should all hope to be equally as cool and dynamic.

But more importantly, how has no one mentioned Seven Samurai (best movie ever) or Yojimbo, of which A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorized remake (making Mifune's character Sanjuro, which means "thirtysomething," the original Man With No Name), or Shogun? I wish I could find a still of the scene in Seven Samurai where he captures a fish while wearing next to nothing. In reality, he hid the fish in his loincloth until it was time to pretend to snatch it out of the stream in which he was fishing.

Reminds me of how some people allegedly find empty NYC apartments by scouring the obituaries.

::sadface:: I guess my references to Toshiro Mifune (and even photos, jeez) whenever the subject of man buns and perceptions of Asian masculinity arise have gone unnoticed. He's one of the greats of Japanese cinema! We should all hope to be equally as cool and dynamic.

But more importantly, how has no one mentioned Seven Samurai (best movie ever) or Yojimbo, of which A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorized remake (making Mifune's character Sanjuro, which means "thirtysomething," the original Man With No Name), or Shogun? I wish I could find a still of the scene in Seven Samurai where he captures a fish while wearing next to nothing. In reality, he hid the fish in his loincloth until it was time to pretend to snatch it out of the stream in which he was fishing.

I'll have to watch that movie this weekend....

I'll have to watch that movie this weekend....

Allow plenty of time. After watching it, you may want to watch it again with the commentary by a very interesting film scholar. (I'm assuming the film is only available on the Criterion Collection.) It's a long movie and I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I was compelled to then watch it a third time (albeit the next night) to fully appreciate what the guy pointed out that I was too dumb to notice the first time. Truly great film.

Then, to be totally compulsive, watch or re-watch the Magnificent Seven.

Kevin Slater

Allow plenty of time. After watching it, you may want to watch it again with the commentary by a very interesting film scholar. (I'm assuming the film is only available on the Criterion Collection.) It's a long movie and I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I was compelled to then watch it a third time (albeit the next night) to fully appreciate what the guy pointed out that I was too dumb to notice the first time. Truly great film.

Kevin Slater

I'm made of time this weekend.

It is the Criterion Collection version that I have.

When I saw Ran in a theatre in NYC, I wanted to sit through the next showing right away. But my friend had just seen it for the third time and did not want to stay. :)

I have never seen The Magnificent 7, but I do have a friend who worked on the remake. So I should probably watch the original before I go see the remake in theaters.

Kevin Slater

There's a lot to absorb in the movie, and much of the meatiest part depends on a knowledge of class structure in Japan during the period depicted, although Kikuchiyo's rant in the middle and subsequent developments make some of it clear.

What you get out of it also depends on the ways in which your background and experience intersect with the movie. There's an aspect of the bandit's previous raid that I became sure of after my first or second viewing that others who've seen the movie many times never picked up on.

When I saw Ran in a theatre in NYC, I wanted to sit through the next showing right away. But my friend had just seen it for the third time and did not want to stay. :)

I have never seen The Magnificent 7, but I do have a friend who worked on the remake. So I should probably watch the original before I go see the remake in theaters.

I am looking forward to the remake of Magnificent 7. The original was promising for the first half-hour and then descended into racism and sexism. I think using Mexican bandits and then focusing on the bandits rather than the villagers was a mistake.

But I'm not sure how it can be remade in a US context without overt racism because our history is different from Japan's. Even with a diverse cast of men rescuing the villagers, what group will the bandits come from? Traditionally, they'd be outsiders. That doesn't line up with Seven Samurai, where both the bandits and rescuers are ronin (masterless samurai); the real class conflict is between farmers like the villagers and samurai.

Maybe it should be Seven Samurai followed by Magnificent 7 (first make) then Magnificent 7 (remake).

Maybe it should be Seven Samurai followed by Magnificent 7 (first make) then Magnificent 7 (remake).

Yes! I have a few months until....

The new M7 isn't out yet.
....the new M7 comes out. Just enough time to watch 7S Slater style then M7. ;)

Yes! I have a few months until....

....the new M7 comes out. Just enough time to watch 7S Slater style then M7. ;)

There are actually two commentary tracks on the most recent Criterion release: one with a single commentator (Tony Rayns, I think) and another with four or five commentators who each talk about a section of the movie.

Coincidentally, I just watched the movie again last weekend before seeing any of the posts here.

Other Kurosawa movies with Mifune that are worth seeing that haven't already been mentioned: Drunken Angel, Stray Dog, High and Low (all three of which have contemporary settings). I am also partial to The Bad Sleep Well, although opinion is divided as to how successful it is as a movie, and The Lower Depths, which is very slice of life and a little slow-starting, but then so is the Gorky play on which it's based. Scandal is a mess, but seeing Mifune as a turtleneck-wearing artist on a motorcycle (or it may be a motorbike) caught in a media-made scandal may make it worth seeing anyway.