Martin Luther King, Jr.

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 5080 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been trying to do some research on the man I most admire, Martin Luther King, Jr., and have been unable to find what I am looking for.

Does anyone know what makes a leader, who has inspired huge change, continue with a cause without being deterred? I am curious to know what coping skills any leader on the forefront of a cause might use when things look rather hopeless. What qualities are common qualities in historical figures who were responsible for changes in social consciousness?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated even if it doesn't pertain to Martin Luther King, Jr.

In his case a profound faith in God.

I have been trying to do some research on the man I most admire, Martin Luther King, Jr., and have been unable to find what I am looking for.

Does anyone know what makes a leader, who has inspired huge change, continue with a cause without being deterred? I am curious to know what coping skills any leader on the forefront of a cause might use when things look rather hopeless. What qualities are common qualities in historical figures who were responsible for changes in social consciousness?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated even if it doesn't pertain to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Guest alanm

If you want specific information, rather the general one or two sentences you have received so far, I recommend "The Years of Lyndon Johnson: Master of the Senate" by Robert Caro, pp 911-

1012. It's the story of how Johnson got the 1957 civil rights bill through Congress. It shows a master legislator at work day-by-day, and goes beyond such statement as a belief in God (not that such belief is not badly needed as well).

The great civil rights acts of 1964 and 1965, which King and Johnson (as president) worked on together, both started with the first civil right act -- this one passed by Congress and signed by President Eisenhower in 1957.

Rbert Caro is still worked on his final volume on LBJ; his years as vice president, president and the four post White House years.

In addition to that, don't limit your studies to leaders on the "right" side of an issue.

Daniel Okrent's "LAST CALL: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition" talks about the leaders of the temperance movement (and abolition and suffrage, which were interestingly intertwined). From the dust jacket, you'd think it a dry (sorry) read but it's really rather fun.

Carrie Nation was WILDLY SUCCESSFUL at leading her movement, but it lead to the 18th Amendment (Prohibition) which was one of the biggest disasters this country has perpetrated on itself.

Study the successful failures too.

His deep faith and his admiration of Ghandi, and adhering to his theory and practice of non violent resistance.

Archived