Broadway Bares 2010....

skynyc
This topic is 5070 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was able to gather my thoughts today...remember most of the show, thought I'd jot down some memories.

Show started pretty much on time. I knew that they were determined to make a lot of money in the rotation, so they were going to make sure there was a lot of time for said rotation. (Rotation is the period after the formal show when the dancers stand on the edge of the stage and allow you to stick wads of cash in their g-strings.) They stand in one spot for about 3-4 minutes and then the dancers rotate positions because it's so crowded that it's easier for the dancers to come to you instead of vice versa. But first the show:

Lights down and stage is decorated like a giant Monopoly Board. Out comes Euan Morton. (Currently in Sondheim on Sondheim, but best known for playing Boy George a couple of years ago in Taboo.) Sings an original number called The Best Game in Town. Find pics on line to see the headdresses of the Playing Pieces. They were beyond spectacular. They were all the original pieces (Top Hat, Battleship, Dog, Shoe, Iron, Race Car, Thimble, and Wheelbarrow) and then out came Cannon (which replaced wheelbarrow very early in the fifties). Kristin Chenoweth came out and did a verse and then Vanessa Williams (as Chance) came out to add her vocals to the end of the number. It was a smashing number...sexy and clever and lots of fun. Dancers dressed in pastels holding the various properties. And a very sexy man in waterworks drag with the spigot strategically placed.

The Bank was next. Hot men in suits...who proceeded to lose them.

Connecticut Ave showed a bunch of ladies in high end couture, looking like a fund-raising lunch on the Upper East Side...all acting as realtors to sell property, but the minute the SOLD sign went on the listing the buyer takes off her Chanel and is truly the trash from the other side of the tracks. Rachelle Rak who's been dancing in these things for years and is still smoking hot played the main hillbilly, in short shorts and bandanas. Eventually all the ladies have shed all the clothing and Rak, in a last moment of defiance tears off her pasties and is topless (and exquisitely so!) And this was the early show...imagine the late show after the traditional Tequila passing........

The Electric company started with a guy with a giant plug coming out and plugging into a woman with a giant outlet on her ass. Lights flicker and go out. Out comes three rolling spotlights which highlight a very sexy and well-choreographed dance for about ten dancers who change partners and positions in very exotic ways.

Next was a short interstitial with Lucy Liu coming out with Reichen Lemkuhl and they just pranced about is sexy clothing saying how important it was to donate. This was probably the evening's low point.

Pass Go became an auto race with the cars made out of dancers. It was well-choreographed with lots action and lots of checkered flags and the two sexy lady drivers. The winner got to take off her clothes.

The Railroads were next and it was very simple...A very tall man in an Engineer's costume came out on the left side of the stage, followed by ten men of diminishing height dressed as porters. Last came a very petite Asian boy dressed as the little red caboose. The "train" chugged across to the right and disappeared offstage, but just as the caboose goes off, the conductor is back on the left, although this time he is jacketless. Like the model train sets that go around and around, the boys went around several times...losing more clothing with each appearance on the left...and the caboose got more and more annoyed at being the back of the line. Finally in the last pass, the caboose delays going off on the right long enough for the engineer to appear, in nothing but briefs on the left. The caboose chugs backward so that he's now the front of the train...(and a good 18 inches shorter than the engineer) before launching himself into the engineers middle and riding his way forward. When the whole train is onstage, the boys get closer and closer until they're all belly-to-back, when they take off their shorts and the whole train rolls off naked.

Next was Orient Avenue which was a beautifully themed Asian music instrumental and was the annual highlight of the aerial act. It was lovely and very Cirque du Soleil.

Next came the Boardwalk...which began with the song "Under the Boardwalk". The skit then launched into a parody of Jersey Shore and the hot guido guy The Situation (Played by Broadway gypsy and very hot John Carroll). He did a brief bit, before Jennifer Cody came out dressed as Snookie. The music slows down and there was a riotous slow-motion bar fight scene with lots of clothes being ripped off and folks getting punched out. The music sped up for a fun "beachy" salute to the Jersey Shore. (Remember the game of Monopoly is set in Atlantic City.)

Lights next came up on Hotels...three big drag queens in their rooms calling room service. More towels please. Out comes adorably hot bellhop Charlie Williams, currently the reigning Mr. Broadway and in Memphis. The leaves shortly after leaving bath sheets with the "ladies." Who immediately call again. More Towels Please. This time the bath towels are noticably smaller and Mr. Williams goes off with out his jacket. More Towels Please...When the bellhop comes back with a hand towel...soon he relegated to holding it in front of his tiny g-string. More towels Please...and the stage is flooded with beautiful men in thongs and bellhop caps...holding strategically placed washclothes as the thongs came off.

Another interstitial was next with Jackie Hoffman (dressed as the warden from her stint in Hairspray - but currently playing Granny in Addams Family) and Katie Finneran who just won the Tony for Promises Promises.) Hoffman is arresting Finneran for stealing. Finneran: "Why I've never stolen a thing in my life." Hoffman: "You're stealing Promises Promises every night. <big laugh> Show me some idea." Finneran: (rummaging in purse,) "Oh, rats...I can't find anything in here...hold this." (She pulls out a Tony and hands it to Jackie.) Jackie: "Not to mention the theft of this Tony from Patty LuPone ten years ago." (Finneran beat LuPone in the BFA/Play catagory for Noises Off in 2001.) Finneran: "Oh, that wasn't that Tony...it was this one...(and she pulls out a second one. She holds them up as mock earrings..."Too much?"

From there we Go To Jail where Warden Sebastian LaCause is dealing with a new inmate, blanking on name...from Billy Elliot. Hot Jailhouse fantasies lots of clothes flying and boys behind bars...in fewer and fewer clothing.

Luxury Tax was a quick dance number that I actually don't remember much of.

Then the Finale, sung by American Idol finalist (and cast member of Hair) Diana DiGarmo. It ends the show and brings everyone back to the stage, but not before paying homage to many of the stars and hosts of previous years...folks from way back in the early 90s to the present. Julia Murney, Chris Sieber, Heidi Blickenstaff, Charles Busch, Bruce Vilanch , Kevin Chamberlin, Lea DeLaria, Alan Cumming, Cheyenne Jackson, Barrett Foa, Julie Halston, etc. Then Jerry Mitchell came out in the Willa Kim costume that inspired it all...he was dancing in a tiny skimpy Indian costume in Will Rogers Follies and that was the inspiration. It still looks great on him.

And then the rotation. I tipped for a bit and then went home to bed.

Guest BrandonWilliams

I lost my virginity

Incredible recap SkyNYC. I was a Broadway Bares virgin and must say, I will be back for more! Actually, I wouldn't even mind dropping the $500.00 for the seat at a table. I went into the show knowing it would be good, but I had no idea that it would be "that" good. And the best part about the night was seeing a dear friend perform in Hotels and Water Works.

Orient Avenue was spectacular. And to think that a few of the guys came in from Vegas all to support the cause is remarkable. If my quads were only so huge. Literally, one of their quads is the size of my ass.

I had the pleasure of meeting a few of the guys while at David Barton this week with my friend who was in the production. Really wonderful people.

Yes, this kid will be back for more. Broadway Bares certainly popped my cherry. :cool:

I guess those bodies are alright. Well if you like them, taut and lean and sweaty and hard and bareassed and crawling on the ground with their lips being bitten,..........whew I am back.....just a little clean up....warm towel......ah so much better......as I was saying, I guess those bodies are alright.

Archived