Berlin sex clubs?

tony
This topic is 3812 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Am planning on extending my European trip to Berllin and hoping some may suggest any clubs, bars, etc. etc. where one might venture to meet and hook up with other like minded gay men of a certain age, preferably 30+ on up to.....whatever.

Thanks all!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Berlin 10 years ago and visited a few bars that were raunchy to say the least. Much like one would find in Paris or Amsterdamn. I can't recall the names now but there are lots of sources of gay guides to cities such as Berlin to show you where to go.

I also recall a gay restaurant that was a lot of fun if you are dining alone. Again can't remember the name but it was in Schoneburg if that helps and there was a huge billboard across the street of two gay cowboys in a Marlborough ad.

The thing to do is some research before you go. Hopefully others here will have more specific names to give you.

I read your thread and immediately typed in http://www.GayBerlin.com. ...went to the site and found "Nightlife" which included bars and clubs. You might want to start there. When I find some other info. in regard to your query-- I'll post it here.

Have a "hot" and "steamy" trip!

Berlin's sexual dens and haunts and men have always intrigued me, too. Oh, so studly and virile and the epitome of some hard, strong sex.

Thank you BOTH so much, and I agree, Berlin has its reputation and am sure it is well deserved.

I will do lots of research before going, but also wanted the input or suggestions of people who may know more about the places to see that are either on the guide maps or off the beaten path but still wonderful to discover.

I was in Berlin many years ago and recall the men as striking and showing off some of the biggest bulges imaginable, and I do mean showing off! It was blatant and in your face and in public during daytime hours, very sexual and exciting city. I can't wait to discover more.

Again, thank you and would appreciate any suggestions, I am asking all my friends, as more heads are better than one when remembering things and places.

Check out SPARTACUS

Get a copy of the current SPARTACUS International Gay Guide as well as the internet sources like were mentioned above. I was in Belin alone three times in the past two years on business. I had a fantastic time and in Berlin there is something for every taste/interest. I found the ads and listings in SPARTACUS to be very helpful and reliable. Many of the guys I met in bars were also very helpful in suggesting places to go see and have fun. Enjoy. I wish I were going with you. I LOVE Berlin.

Thank you for your input. I wish you were going with me too!

I also have a friend who just got back and he will suggest some places to me this weekend which I will post in case anyone else has been there. He had a blast. I had no idea he was going until today.

• 5 months later...

You've got some good advice so far, Tony. Let me add something.

Most of the smaller bars and clubs are located in Schöneberg, the gay district.

One of the largest sex clubs is Lab.oratory http://www.lab-oratory.de which opens on special occasions. Check their website for dates.

Lots of dark rooms and a lots of action. Bring your own condoms/lube if you want to get adventurous since barebacking becomes more the norm rather than the exception in this paradise lust.

One of the largest sex clubs is Lab.oratory http://www.lab-oratory.de which opens on special occasions. Check their website for dates.

Lots of dark rooms and a lots of action. Bring your own condoms/lube if you want to get adventurous since barebacking becomes more the norm rather than the exception in this paradise lust.[/color]

Steven -- just checked out the website for Lab.oratory. Obviously nothing like this anywhere here in the states -- if there is please let me know. I've certainly learned a few new phrases -- phrases that Frau Clarke never taught us in German 101 in college -- "wer will mich ficken" indeed.

Thanks for the education.

Lee

One of the largest sex clubs is Lab.oratory http://www.lab-oratory.de which opens on special occasions. Check their website for dates.[/color]

One more clarification: the venue is called Berghain (pronounced with a German accent). It's a huge versatile club that sometimes can be split in two separate areas and two different entrances: one part with straight/mixed crowd and one gay-only hard section with dark rooms. You can also hear it referenced as Panorama Bar.

http://www.berghain.de/

Steven -- just checked out the website for Lab.oratory. Obviously nothing like this anywhere here in the states -- if there is please let me know.

Lee, the only similar place in the US I can think of right now is Roseland Ballroom in NYC on a Black Party night. My only disappointment from March this year was the area where all the hot action is happening was reduced by half. I hope this won't become a trend.

Cheers, Steven ~

• 9 months later...

Berghain or lab.oratory or panorama?

the venue is called Berghain (pronounced with a German accent). You can also hear it referenced as Panorama Bar.

[/color]

When I compare the two websites of lab.oratory and panorama bar, it is hard to tell on the map if they are the same building or not. Could anyone clarify?

When I compare the two websites of lab.oratory and panorama bar, it is hard to tell on the map if they are the same building or not. Could anyone clarify?

Hey Gregkidman, I can try to clarify. They're both located in the same building: a very funky abandoned soviet power plant. And since a picture is worth a thousand words, here it is for you: on the left the entrance of Lab.oratory (lower two levels) and on the right the entrance of Panorama Bar (upper two levels).

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5586/labd.jpg

I was there this past Easter for the big SNAX Event. Check out both websites for particulars about the parties, as they change and mix often. Eclectic straight and gay crowds sometimes mix on the dance floors, but never in the dark rooms. Watch out also for the dress code. There are several complains about the doormen/bouncers being chauvinist and not letting strangers (read: tourists) IN. Best tip I can give is to look and act like a local (if that means anything at all). If you have any particular questions feel free to private me. And finally: have fun!

The burned out Soviet power station that Steven mentions above is truly amazing.

If you’re not from Berlin, I'd suggest hiring a local pro as a guide / companion. I did

and we had a blast. I doubt I would have gotten out of the taxi had I been solo.

As you can see from the picture, it's pretty intimidating and it's in the middle of

fucking nowhere.

The night I went it was a mix of female prostitutes and 50 year old businessmen

on the ground floor, 20-40 year old hardcore leather and punk gay men on another,

and a ton of 20 year old straight kids dancing like mad on the top floor. You could walk

between all the floors that night too. Lots of people would visit from the other floors,

going back and forth to "sight see" and then return to their group.

As Steven mentioned, the front doormen can be intimidating. The line outside

stretched for blocks and the 20 year olds were practically strip searched.

The doormen are far from friendly, but they just smiled and waved us past

when we got to the door. I was kind of looking forward to the rough handling…grin

The sheer scale of the place is incredible and the mix of people was phenomenal.

It's sleazy, chic, insane and epic...they way you always dreamed clubs in Berlin actually

were. We danced until 10 in the morning and when we left there were people still arriving

and standing in line to get it.

Even for this longtime jaded New Yorker, it was a night I’ll always remember.

You've got some pretty good advice and overview with nycman's post.

In the YouTube clip below: another glimpse of what you should expect at Bergain ... and I wasn't kidding when I said 'abandoned' as it is in the middle of nowhere and has lost his original purpose.

There are other ex-soviet power houses outside Berlin converted perfectly for this kind of event.

Epic, indeed.

[video=youtube;CKOKQC821Q8]

• 2 months later...
There's an article in the New York Times arts section today about one of the doorman at Berghain.

Evidently he's a well known photographer.

You got me curious and and looked it up. Here's the link to the article you're referring to

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/03/world/europe/03germany.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=photographer%20Berghain%20Berlin&st=cse

It confirms two of the thoughts I mentioned above:

- Berghain is reputed to be the "hardest door in Berlin"

- It's implied that the bouncers are "chauvinists" and don't like "aliens" and "tourists" with flash cameras.

Best way to get there: take the U-Bahn line U2 and get off Ostbahnhof (Berlin East Railroad Station) and walk 5-10 min through the no man's land to get the full experience of East Berlin, or if you feel less adventurous just take a cab.

• 2 weeks later...
There's an article in the New York Times arts section today about one of the doorman at Berghain.

Sven Marquardt, the doorman in question was keeping Berghain's gate on Sunday morning. I said hello to him and mentioned that he's now popular thanks to article in New York Times. He smiled discreetly and was flattered by the attention.

Also talked to another doorman, who responded in perfect English and it seems that they're now more relaxed towards visitors from abroad not speaking German ...

Had a lot of fun and will definitely return next year.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite hotels in the world....

The Adlon Berlin.

http://www.kempinski.com/de/berlinadlon/Seiten/Welcome.aspx

Not exactly "close" to all the action...unless you happen to be a diplomat and need easy access

to all the nearby by embassies and the Reichstag. Simple Germanic perfection. I came home late one

night to find the place a buzz with action. The President of Pakistan, and an army of security,

were in the lobby. The cute doorman signaled to me across the street and let me in the back

door of the hotel. Oh, did I happen to mention I was coming home dressed in full black leather...?

The kids never even cracked a smile.

He was simply doing whatever it took to keep BOTH of his guests happy and comfortable.

You gotta love the Germans.

Steven -- just checked out the website for Lab.oratory. Obviously nothing like this anywhere here in the states -- if there is please let me know. I've certainly learned a few new phrases -- phrases that Frau Clarke never taught us in German 101 in college -- "wer will mich ficken" indeed.

Thanks for the education.

Lee

I opened the site, chose a random link and read "Businessmen turnin dich an? " definitely not covered in MY college German class! I also learned that "gummies" is German slang for condoms. As in "gummie baeren? "

On the subject of Berlin...can anyone reccomend a really fabulous hotel in a great location close to all the action.

I can highly recommend the Axel hotel, gay owned and operated, but heterofriendly located in the heart of Schöneberg where all the action is. However you'll be quite far from Berghain which is in the 'middle of nowhere' near Berlin East train station. You might be already familiar with the other two Axel properties in Barcelona and Buenos Aires. The one in Berlin is a step above Barcelona.

website: http://www.axelhotels.com/berlin/index.php?h=1&lang=en

Archived