Oscars BIG mistake

EXPAT
This topic is 5195 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major Omissions

No Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur--I was watching for both of them and was surprised they were omitted. Man, that's a big diss Academy. Bea and Farrah may not have been movie SUPERstars but they both starred in motion pictures and were very loved by audiences worldwide!

I can not believe they left out Bea Arthur and Farrah Fawcett during the "In memorium" section. And yes they were both in movies. Shameful oversite!!

They are both essentially TV stars, not movie stars. There were far more important film people to be included IMHO.

Guest Ken123

Not only did they leave out important people, they should be ashamed for giving very brief exposure to Lauren Bacall, a great star of the 40s and 50s...relagating her to sitting in the audience and just taking a bow is shameful. Oh they probably had to make room for those two "greats", Taylor Lautner and Zac Ephorn.

I originally thought that maybe to be part of the tribute those who had passed would have had to be a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. However that doesn't quite work out because Farrah Fawcett was and Michael Jackson was not.

So who knows the criteria used but clearly more people deserved recognition than was given and those left off had some disappointed fans. Just for an fyi, a list of Academy members who passed during the last year (since last February) can be found at: http://www.oscars.org/academy/members/memoriam.html

I originally thought that maybe to be part of the tribute those who had passed would have had to be a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. However that doesn't quite work out because Farrah Fawcett was and Michael Jackson was not.

So who knows the criteria used but clearly more people deserved recognition than was given and those left off had some disappointed fans. Just for an fyi, a list of Academy members who passed during the last year (since last February) can be found at: http://www.oscars.org/academy/members/memoriam.html

And Sean Penn made it clear last night that he has never joined the Academy, and as we all know, he's done quite well by the Academy.

Not only did they leave out important people, they should be ashamed for giving very brief exposure to Lauren Bacall, a great star of the 40s and 50s...relagating her to sitting in the audience and just taking a bow is shameful. Oh they probably had to make room for those two "greats", Taylor Lautner and Zac Ephorn.

I agree completely. There were so many bad editorial choices made in the show. They relegated thirty technical awards to a fifteen-second announcement, which was a good idea, but they left in sound editing and some other similar technical awards that we could have done without. Swapping out those to free up two minutes for Bacall would have been an enormous improvement.

Also, with respect to the recently departed, while John Hughes made a lot of fun movies, he wasn't exactly Hitchcock and didn't deserve such disproportionate attention. And Karl Malden, a very recognizable actor who had significant parts in two of the most memorable movies of all time (On the Waterfront and Streetcar Named Desire), got three seconds.

And Sean Penn made it clear last night that he has never joined the Academy, and as we all know, he's done quite well by the Academy.

After perusing the list which one of our ardent posters presented here-- the Academy left out quite a few folks to acknowledge. I can readily say that this thread is an important one.

Where was Farrah?

The Academy has officially responded predictably to the avalanche of criticism regarding Farrah: "We can't include everybody."

Ryan O’Neal’s rep regarding the omission: "We were very disappointed that she was not included."

They Just Needed Nine Seconds...

Ed McMahon, who died last June, was also excluded in the Oscar's "In Memorium." Is it possible that these three beloved and much-missed actors were excluded from the montage because they did not have a substantial traditional film presence? While all of them had been in several movies, the bulk of their careers and prestige centered on TV. That said, I feel they should have been included. Good Lord! They could have easily cut nine seconds from that lengthy interpretive dance performance OR the John Hughes tribute segment to devote three seconds each to Farrah, Bea and Ed in the montage. If Michael Jackson deserved to be included in the tribute (and I believe he did), then these three iconic actors should have also been included, imho.

Goodfella

Ed McMahon, who died last June, was also excluded in the Oscar's "In Memorium." Is it possible that these three beloved and much-missed actors were excluded from the montage because they did not have a substantial traditional film presence? While all of them had been in several movies, the bulk of their careers and prestige centered on TV. That said, I feel they should have been included. Good Lord! They could have easily cut nine seconds from that lengthy interpretive dance performance OR the John Hughes tribute segment to devote three seconds each to Farrah, Bea and Ed in the montage. If Michael Jackson deserved to be included in the tribute (and I believe he did), then these three iconic actors should have also been included, imho.

Goodfella

Well, duh. It's a "FILM" academy, not a TV academy. None of the 3 should have been included.

Karl Malden was a beloved film actor, won an Oscar, and was President of the Academy.

And I think you mean 14 minutes and 57 seconds ... as Warhol's quote was about 15 minutes of fame, not seconds.

The John Hughes standalone tribute was a joke and overdone. Fred Astaire didn't get one, neither did Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant or James Cagney. Well, you get the point.

Guest OCBeachbody

Well that is Hollywood for you. Even in the Emmy's last year when David Borenz did in "In Memorium", they left out his co-star that played Loren from "Angel". He didn't even say a thing.

As far as Michael Jackson, only movie I remember him was in the Wiz..... and he should not have been mentioned at all. Bea was in at least three films... Auntie Mame, History of the World, and Lovers and Strangers.

Farah Fawcett had a number of movies to many to count, and like Zelda R.... may not have been HUGE STARS, but they were recognizable celebs worthy of a little respect. In the past there were many people from the Silver Screen Era or Obscure people that I was like.... Huh?

Well at Least the Tony's are place that will give Bea the full respect she deserves.

Well that is Hollywood for you. Even in the Emmy's last year when David Borenz did in "In Memorium", they left out his co-star that played Loren from "Angel". He didn't even say a thing.

As far as Michael Jackson, only movie I remember him was in the Wiz..... and he should not have been mentioned at all. Bea was in at least three films... Auntie Mame, History of the World, and Lovers and Strangers.

Farah Fawcett had a number of movies to many to count, and like Zelda R.... may not have been HUGE STARS, but they were recognizable celebs worthy of a little respect. In the past there were many people from the Silver Screen Era or Obscure people that I was like.... Huh?

Well at Least the Tony's are place that will give Bea the full respect she deserves.

It's not about remembering "recognizable celebs" but about honoring people who made a contribution to film history. Farrah, Jackson, McMahon didn't. Those people you find obscure (soundmen, directors, writers) or from the Silver Screen era did which is why the Academy remembers them.

Guest rohale

I felt John Hughes deserved the attention that was bestowed upon him at the Academy Awards. He just didn't make fun movies. As a writer and filmmaker in essence his films for the most part were able to capture the angst and heartache of what teenagers were gong through. This is a genre of film making that not many film makers have been relatively successful at. However John was very successful in this genre. As for the great Hitchcock, he is in a league of his own and nobody can touch that. However as for John Hughes, he was definitely one of the best film makers from the 1980's and I for one am glad that the Academy recognised his contribution to Hollywood films. I thought the tribute could have gone on a little bit longer.

As for Karl Malden, he was never a stand out actor until he did television in the 1970's. For most of his career he was part of the supporting cast and blended well in the background and that's the way Hollywood delegated him to. The three seconds or so were enough for someone like Mr Malden

And I think you mean 14 minutes and 57 seconds ... as Warhol's quote was about 15 minutes of fame, not seconds.

That was my error. I think if Andy were alive today in the world of U-Tube, Twitter and I-Phone (all of which he would have LOVED!) he would have said "15 seconds" and not "15 minutes".

Michael Jackson has a movie that was recently released wide theatrically and currently is available on DVD. "Michael Jackson's This is It."

Michael Jackson has a movie that was recently released wide theatrically and currently is available on DVD. "Michael Jackson's This is It."

That is not a movie but more a documentary. Sorry - the only "acting" was the usual MJ schtick. Like many others here, I could not believe they put his name and photo up there -- he was in entertainment and music, TV was limited to tabloid stuff and MTV... but acting? Come on!!!!

How do you know who was shown in the tribute? They showed the singer half the time, and long shots of the theater the other half. I only saw the names of about 20 deceased persons on my TV.

Archived