A Best Friend

NYTomcat
This topic is 5148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am sitting here with tears welling up in my eyes thinking about you and your helpless little friend. He does not know why, but I just woke my little best friend with a great big hug. It was really all I could think of doing. I am so sad for both of you.

I cannot Thank you all enough. This day has been a terror, as well as full of warm wonderful memories. I will never forget the horror and need to cradle her from the snow and cold, feeling like I had failed her but I just would not let her go alone. Okie you cannot know how well you put my fears and terror to words. The sweet and wonderful things you have all said have been a staple to get me through Thank you.

GP my baby would have loved that

All I can say is thank you all your mail and posts have eased the loneliness of the loss. rvwnsd has it right. please give your best friends a hug for me and for yourselves. You do not realize how lonely your home will feel until they are not there. But I can only say this little group has really been a lifesaver. I don't know what good fortune lead me here but I consider myself eternally lucky to be part of this community. Actually I do know what good fortune. Thank you R. for everything. especially being there today

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, although we can be bitingly critical of one another about a lot of things, everyone here seems to empathize with the emotions one feels at the loss of a pet. And I don't think it's just gay men who invest a lot of love in their animals. Everyone who isn't sociopathic wants a friend who loves us and is unthinkingly loyal, and animals--especially dogs--fill that need, often better than humans. I can never read a thread like this one without dredging up all my old feelings about pets I have loved and lost. So, NYTomcat, you can be sure that when we say we sympathize with you, we sincerely mean it.

My heart goes out to you!

Oh my dear friend... I was in shock when you sent me the message yesterday about your dog just after we had been talking on-line. Immediately, my eyes teared up because I know all to well what it's like to lose that buddy in your life, animal or human. I'm so very sorry about your loss but know that your buddy is in a much better place where there is no pain or idiot drivers who can't simply pull over after hitting someones animal which clearly had tags on it.

Remember the good times with your beloved friend and all the joy that she brought into your life each and every day. Honor her memory and bring her home for a proper burial and find that special place in your yard that she loved so much. Pets are very special as they bring in so much but require little in return. That said, you provided a very loving life and good times for your dog and for that, there are special stars above that will look over you.

Hang in there and remember the good times. I'm always here for you and just an IM, phone call or text message away.

MUCH LOVE my dear friend, much love! Your post has only reinforced how much I love my dog and I called home to my dog sitter right after hearing the news to send my love to him as all of us should do with our loved ones. They're all very special and at the blink of an eye, it could all end so love, laugh and live life.

See you in NY!

Oh Lord, don't let me once forget

How much I love my trusty pet.

Help me learn to disregard

The canine craters in my yard.

-Beth Norman Harris

Show me how to be a buddy

Even when my sofa's muddy!

Don't allow my pooch to munch

Those postal workers for his lunch.

Shield my neighbour's cat from view

And guide my steps around the doo.

Train me not to curse and scowl

When it's puppy's night to howl.

Grant I shan't awake in fear

With a cold nose in my ear.

Give me patience without end.

Help me be my dog's "best friend".

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart

in all the world is more grateful for kindness

than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should

lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly

teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music,

as you must know by the fierce wagging

of my tail when your footstep falls on my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside...for I am now a

domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements...

and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet

beside the hearth...for you are my god, and I am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it were

dry. I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well,

to romp and play and do your bidding to walk by your side,

and stand ready, willing and able to protect you

with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or

sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands and grant me the merciful bounty of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Remember me not with tearful eyes...but instead with an abounding heart.

Should you choose to fill my bed, feel no guilt,

you have not betrayed me. Love another as you always loved me...

and they too will love you as I always have.

Ordo Ad Chao

Hey NYTomcat,

Someone, I don't remember who, suggested a song titled "Time Heals Everything" to help in the process. I'm sure you are familiar with it given your penchant for music. We care about you wish you only the best, though life sometimes gets in the way.

Chao ab Ordo

These little dog poems keep my heart warm. and my eyes moist. Thank you so much. The pain is lessening and just a feeling of numb nostalgia comes along. She would have liked that she loved those slow melancholy days

Hey NYTomcat,

Someone, I don't remember who, suggested a song titled "Time Heals Everything" to help in the process. I'm sure you are familiar with it given your penchant for music. We care about you wish you only the best, though life sometimes gets in the way.

Unfair, using my own music against me. LOL Thanks DoItb4 Its a great song especially when done by Berna

Guest greatness

oh

Ms. Chloe too... You seem to forget her every time.. :)

Hang in there and remember the good times. I'm always here for you and just an IM, phone call or text message away.

MUCH LOVE my dear friend, much love! Your post has only reinforced how much I love my dog and I called home to my dog sitter right after hearing the news to send my love to him as all of us should do with our loved ones. They're all very special and at the blink of an eye, it could all end so love, laugh and live life.

See you in NY!

Guest antoanvegas

Hey Tom

I know exactly how you feel. 2 Dogs I lost last year. Awful I accustomed them. They were my support for 15 and 17 years. Best creatures I've ever known. I cried like a child.Loved them so much.

I know exactly how you feeling now.

If can give you advice get a new friend right now. It makes me heal.

Now I have two German Shepherds and again enjoy life.

Of course I will never forget my first dogs were poodles. Their everlasting memory.

And so buddy, get a new friend of you quickly.

Guest antoanvegas

PS

While I wrote somehow restrain myself. But a minute after it burst into tears of memories rushed into my head. Cry for you too.

Guest countryboywny

NYTomcat,

There is nothing I wouldn't do for my dog, and there is nothing she wouldn't do for me. Unconditional love goes both ways. Please accept my sincere condolences and a prayer that fond memories will lighten your heart at this painful time.

CB

We may be a bit dysfunctional at times, like every family, but we have heart and can show it at the right moments. Sometimes you just need a shoulder to cry on, pat you on the back and say comforting things.

I was 8 when we lost the family dog. He had to be "put to sleep". My parents, thinking they were protecting me, told me he had run away. Every day, after school, I would wander the neighborhood, calling "Sandy". I never got over it. Probably never will. Damn! I'm crying now.

I was 8 when we lost the family dog. I never got over it. Probably never will. Damn! I'm crying now.

I was about 8 when my golden cocker was killed by a car. 50 odd years later I still think about him occasionally, still remember what he meant to me. Some friends you just don't forget.

Funny at first I thought I would never replace her, but a very wise man reminded me today that its from the greatest joys in our life that we feel the greatest lossess. Wouldn't it be a shame to live without those joys just for fear of loss. Yes Im talking about getting a new dog not discovering I like dick (though that works too). So my humor is back, though I will admit a bit bitchy. Had to water down some posts and erase a couple. OOPS. Anyway So antoan you are correct... I need a new dog in my life. I know the recently departed would have approved. Cant really think about that today but know its coming lightens the mood. Who doesn't love a puppy.

A New Little Friend

I think it is wise for you to get another dog immediately. The cat who is my avatar is one half of a pair of cats I adopted back in 1995. They were 3 and a half when I got them. His sister became gravely ill very suddenly in 2005 and it was apparent that I had to put her to sleep. I waited more than 2 years to get another cat and in hindsight I wish I had gotten one sooner. I think having the second, younger cat has helped my little boy stay young. You can't ever "replace" your pets, but you can welcome a new friend into your life. You will be glad you welcomed that little friend sooner rather than later.

Guest TBinCHI

I don't think that I can say it any better than has already been said by so many on here. Losing a companion like that is one of the most difficult things that can happen. Not too long ago I had to euthanize my companion of almost 14 years. I was so distraught as it was happening and so focussed on holding and helping her through it, I had no awareness of anything else that was happening. Several weeks later while at Blockbuster, I was approached by a person whom I thought to be a complete stranger asking me how I was doing. When I stared blankly in response, she said, "I can understand why you don't remember, but I was the vet assistant who was with you when you lost Daisy." With that she reached out and touched my arm and I completely lost it at Blockbuster. I can't even relate this story without the tears running down my face. We all know how you feel, my friend, and we are all here to help you through it. When you do get a new puppy, please share with us the details so we can all remember the newness and excitement as that joy begins to replace the sorrow.

TB

I don't think that I can say it any better than has already been said by so many on here. Losing a companion like that is one of the most difficult things that can happen. Not too long ago I had to euthanize my companion of almost 14 years. I was so distraught as it was happening and so focussed on holding and helping her through it, I had no awareness of anything else that was happening. Several weeks later while at Blockbuster, I was approached by a person whom I thought to be a complete stranger asking me how I was doing. When I stared blankly in response, she said, "I can understand why you don't remember, but I was the vet assistant who was with you when you lost Daisy." With that she reached out and touched my arm and I completely lost it at Blockbuster. I can't even relate this story without the tears running down my face. We all know how you feel, my friend, and we are all here to help you through it. When you do get a new puppy, please share with us the details so we can all remember the newness and excitement as that joy begins to replace the sorrow.

TB

When that day comes I most certainly will. Thanks TB

NYTomcat,

I feel for you on this tragic loss.

I'm sure your beloved friend is now in a better place:

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

Author unknown

Guest antoanvegas

You will never replace your old dog!

Tom, we can't replace the old friends that we've lost. They are always in my mind. Sometimes when I remember it I'm crying too. But believe me, this is not my first lost, and for me better solutions always was to get a new dog as soon as possible.

This is the fastest way to bring back smile on my face.

Don't lose time friend, get it and tell as how you feel after.

This is the life, we've born, live and the end going to god.

That's why my friends, every day is gift from god. Don't waste your time, live as you want and enjoy your days.

Apologize for my English.

Guest OCBeachbody

I feel so bad for you. I can empathize with your pain.

Truly they are our best buds. Hugs.

as I told my nephew once, although he may be gone... he is probably running around and having fun with all the others up in the great big park in the sky.

He is wagging his tail, knowing that one day he will be the first one to lick you again.

I have always cherish'd my lil best friends....

Trust me, he did know that you loved, because that love you saw in his eyes is the reflection of your love toward him :)

NYTomcat… I just caught this thread… and am so sorry for you as well… and especially since I know you are the type of person that is concerned with helping others.

I lost a pet as a child and remember how devastating the feeling was… I never wanted a pet ever again… ever… with the foolish mindset that I would be shielded from losses in my life. However, losses are part of life, and somehow we cope and move on.

As has been alluded to above, the greater the pain felt the greater the loss… so all your pain actually means that you were in fact blessed by having such a wonderful companion… very blessed with years, moments, and special memories that you will treasure for ever.

Guest andrewd

My heart went out to you when a fellow poster told me about this post. I'm so very sorry for your loss, TomCat and the way in which it happened. As an animal lover and having 2 boys of my own, one of whom had a close call a few years ago, I can't imagine a more devastating way to lose a loved one. I hope the late date of my reply to your post doesn't reopen a wound that has begun to heal. Just wanted to express my condolences and I hope your heart will mend in time.

xoxoxoxo

Archived