3 things I hate about driving a car

foxy
This topic is 5232 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

But when I want to go to my chalet, or drive to another city, I take my car and my dog and we are both happy.

We are of a single mind! I nearly abandoned my chalet to the badgers, it had become such a burden to travel there. In years past, I had happily taken the train and been met at the station by the groundskeeper's son, a very workable arrangement for us both. Then the lad married a girl from the village and she insisted he find full-time work in the sawmill, as a baby was on the way. Not trusting just anyone with my travel cases, I stopped my visits to the country entirely for more than a year.

Then Heaven sent Heine into my life! He was bicycling past my garden gate one afternoon and stopped to ask if I knew where he could find work.

What kind of work do you do?, I asked, allowing my eyes to drift shyly downward and marveling at the fit of his corduroys.

General handy man services, he replied, . . . anything to keep a home running smoothly. I know horses too, and can ride well.

Without a thought, I found myself blurting out, I may just know of an opening for you here! Can you drive a four-in-hand?, I asked him coyly.

With a firm yet gentle touch!, he assured me.

I offered him a position on the spot! We now drive to the chalet each fall and spring, never failing to enjoy the natural wonders that appear around every bend.

The cats adore him! They ride along in a mahogany twin-carrier, strapped to the side of the carriage. I bring water for them, but no food. We stop at lunchtime and Heine sets them down in the woods, near some promising burrows. As they enjoy their little repast, Heine and I relieve ourselves, then recline under a flowering magnolia where we refresh our spirits. After a suitable rest, we continue our journey and so reach the chalet just as the afternoon shadows begin to lengthen.

Of course, you well know that the drive is merely the prelude to the main events of a rustic holiday. These begin just as soon as Heine helps me through the gate and settles me into our country paradise!

But that's another thread. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm70/Team_Fortress/smiley_on_a_horse.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't like driving... my car is 5 years old and only has 33k miles on it. :)

Romann,

You don't like to drive and you live in Dallas? That's quite a paradox....and good for you! I lived in Texas for many years before moving to Chicago last year.

In Dallas and Houston, it seemed people drove their vehicles just about everywhere they went--even a few blocks. I rarely saw people walking long distances like they do in other Top Ten populated urban areas like WDC, Boston, NYC, Downtown Chicago, Philly, San Francisco, etc...

Goodfella

4. Cell phone users! One of these days I'm going to do something that's probably going to get me arrested because of these folks. Traffic in the DC area is not pretty on a good day. When these people, both sexes are equally guilty as far as I can tell, drive below the speed limit etc. because they're too busy talking or texting, I really wish I had a SAM to take care of the problem.

I have always thought that if I ever became rich I would hire a chauffeur to drive me to my appointed rounds which would allow me to converse (safely) on a cell phone or to read the news papers or a book or whatever. This would save me an inordinate amount of time as well as please me immensely. A very winning combination. :)

KMEM, I was about to ask you about your potentially well-qualified/endowed chauffeur and the amenities your limo might offer for unscheduled stops, but now I see that Aunt Fancy has intervened with her own Lady Chatterley story. Oh, well.

I'm sure we all wish you both the best!

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg
4. Cell phone users! One of these days I'm going to do something that's probably going to get me arrested because of these folks. Traffic in the DC area is not pretty on a good day. When these people, both sexes are equally guilty as far as I can tell, drive below the speed limit etc. because they're too busy talking or texting, I really wish I had a SAM to take care of the problem.

Some sanity starts today in various parts of Canada.

Provincial laws were introduced in the fall making it illegal to drive while texting or using a hand-held cell phone.

Until now, there has been a grace period where only warnings have been issued. Effective today, fines of $155 in Ontario and $167 in BC is the price to be paid. Emergency 911 calls are exempt.

3 things...

I recently took a class offered by my auto insurance company in Drivers Safety. Completion of this class would earn you either a reduction in your insurance premiums or points off your license. The instructor asked the class to tell her things you didn't like about other drivers.

1. people who flick their cigarettes out the window.

2. old people driving

3. followed quickly by an elderly women saying "young drivers"

1. people who flick their cigarettes out the window.

Having had multiple rag tops over the years, this has always been a high on my pet peeve list.

"left lane campers" is the name now given to drivers who remain in the left lane of a multi-lane highway despite the fact they aren't passing....a driver needs to be in the right lane unless actively passing....we've all seen the signs (in the US) saying slower traffic stay to the right....with increasingly busy roads, drivers fear getting stuck behind slow traffic, so they'll simply stay in the passing lane going 1/2 mph faster than the right lane traffic, whether passing or not....afraid of coming in second place.....

gp0560-

Not to worry. We all have our individual and independant fantasies so you are welcome to think what might happen when my chauffer and I stop for a respite as well as what might happen if you and your chauffer were doing likewise. I,for one, would have to expect that a catered luncheon would be available with the "correct" wine as well as a suitable reading of some topical literature. How shall I love you, let me count the ways. ETC. THINGS would ensue. :)

Now, is that all better?

Best regards,

KMEM

gp0560-

Not to worry. We all have our individual and independant fantasies so you are welcome to think what might happen when my chauffer and I stop for a respite as well as what might happen if you and your chauffer were doing likewise. I,for one, would have to expect that a catered luncheon would be available with the "correct" wine as well as a suitable reading of some topical literature. How shall I love you, let me count the ways. ETC. THINGS would ensue. :)

Now, is that all better?

Best regards,

KMEM

A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou . . . now it's all better. Thanks.

I'm in Chicago, and one of the many joys of living here is not needing to own a car.

And, not having a car has made me an avid supporter of pedestrian rights. I've lost track of the number of times I've almost been run over by cars not paying attention to stop signs, barreling into the street from a driveway or an alley, people turning right who fail to look both ways, or left turners who try to speed through their turn while I'm crossing the street.

Invariably, these idiots are mostly women on cell phones. And Chicago has a cell phone law!

It makes me want to walk with a key in my mind and do a little damage to all those vehicles who get too close to me! :-)

RE: cell phone laws

There isn't going to be much difference until people and especially the police department take these seriously. Now, they don't, at least not that I can notice. Too much trouble to stop someone for this "petty" offense; kind of like the seat belt enforcement and that is, if you get caught doing something else AND don't have on your seat belt, they add it to the ticket.

Even IF enforcement started up seriously we then would have the consistent problem of the scoff laws who acquire tickets by the bushel basket full and ignore them. That also will not be "cured" until the law takes that kind of behavior seriously.

Best regards,

KMEM

I talk daily to my house sitter to make sure my baby is well and so I can whisper sweet things into Boo-boo's ear to let him know that I'm thinking about him. :)

I miss my little buddy and one of the best parts about traveling is coming him to my little guy who waits on the couch for me.

While I have never had the pleasure of meeting Romann, I think it's fair to say that I (and many guys here) would certainly jump at the chance to be Romann's pet.

Archived