Tis the season for CC Fraud.

Romann
This topic is 5264 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello hello!

Let me set the stage for you. The events that occurred this morning were the result of a stolen Check Chard during my last visit to NYC a few weeks ago...

This morning while enjoying my first cup of coffee and catching up on what had happened around the world during the night, I received a call from 1 of my 3 credit card issuers requesting me to confirm some charges that took place the night before. Puzzled, I listen to the list of pending transaction for appliances and another transaction for two rental cars in Luxembourg, Germany. Curious... I made good time with my appliances purchased and picked up at the store in South Africa beamed myself plus new shiny toys within 2 hours. Great timing, eh!?

The representative that contacted knew right away these were not my purchases and needed authorization to deny the two transactions and open an immediate investigation. Sadly, my personal card had to be canceled so a new one could be issued with new security.

I go back to enjoying my coffee and watching the news when just minutes later, another call rings in, this time from the credit issuer that I put my business expenses on. Same situation. Curious... I thought to myself that two different credit card companies on completely different platforms both hacked in the same night. Reluctantly, I had that card suspended but not canceled so that I could use this card while on my upcoming trip to SF and ORD tomorrow morning. As I need to make charges, I will need to contact the card issuer directly and inform them of the business I will be making the charge at. While annoying it's also necessary in order to maintain some sort of cost tracking of my expenses not to mention I don't want there to be an interruption in my continued growing airline mileage account.

3rd time I go back to my cup of coffee which at this point was pretty much cool and not to my liking. I just pick up the remote to turn up the volume for my news program when another call rings my mobile. This time, it's from my primary bank contacting me that there was suspicious activity on my emergency credit card. At that point the panic button was at full alert because all three of my only credit cards were breached. In a rush to secure bank accounts and restrict certain account activity with primary bank and debit card holder, some joker overseas has officially put a stronghold on my lines of credit.

The 3rd representative unfortunately was the victim of my continual questions about how, when and where. To my amazement, duplicate cards were created and a physical card was actually swiped that the overseas locations in question by an actual person despite my cards being in my wallet. After some discussion about possible ways this could have happened, I was informed by this very representative that an new and upcoming method of obtaining credit card information such as the crooks that have temporarily crippled my credit now use a device that is the of a credit card and fits conveniently in ones hand that if brought close enough, say to a man's wallet in his back pocket or by a ladies pocket book, the device can and will read the magnetic strip downloading card number, expiration dates and essential security features and clearances so that a duplicate card can be created with ease. At that point, it's up to the merchant to verify identity but 99% of the time, especially during busy holiday seasons around the globe, this is seldom skipped in order to keep register lines moving seamlessly.

Resolution to this easy and new threat is that purchase wallets that are lined with special material that will not permit signals to the wallet contents. I oddly remember seeing an advertisement in the Sky Mall magazine offered on most flights that had such a special feature. Something I will consider purchasing just for that added ease of mind.

Long story short, while this has proved to be an inconvenience with me leaving for SF and then to ORD 3 days later and not returning to Dallas till the 21st, I highly recommend that people use such services that monitor your credit. My primary bank has such a service that I contacted to let them know of my CC breach and they stepped up and began daily monitoring of my credit report and balances on my cards. While I will be monitoring transactions till my new cards are received and activated, it's nice knowing that a service is standing right beside me and checking on my accounts and credit daily. This service is SO wonderful, that if fraudulent accounts are opened in my name without my authorization and knowledge, my monthly service fee of $12.00 covers 2MM in damages and full legal representation by a specialized attorney to perform appropriate filing.

My involvement in resolving this breach quickly and efficiently while not completely cutting myself off from credit access couldn't have been done with such ease without this credit monitoring/protection company - 100% worth the monthly expense and one that I'm very grateful for today.

BE CAREFUL everyone! Tis the season for CC Fraud because my credit issuers just had to eat $9500.00 USD due to my zero liability provisions. Check your cards and make sure they have this feature!

FYI: My poor cup of coffee was too cold to finish so I poured a fresh cup instead and FINALLY was able to finish it all the while watching the news for the morning. :)

Hello hello!

So I am having a cup of coffee and waiting for some appliances to get delivered when I find out my dishwasher from South Africa was the wrong color and the big screen from Luxembourg was not big enough. Well, I did not have to worry about my coffee getting cold as just then arrived my manservant and a new 12 cup cappachino maker. Thanks Roman.

Right!

Wow, sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea what city the original swipe of your card occurred in?

It occurred in South Africa and which both the representative and I were unable to pronounce the location where the first transaction swipe took place at. It's nuts but I can't think my Privacy Assist relationship and my credit issuers for their prompt attention and notification within less than 12 hours of the purchases.

The lady did note that once CC information is obtained, it's used quickly by the original recipient and they then upload that information to a network of CC crooks who then start picking off the available credit. This severely hinders authorities abilities to now located and track where the fraud is occurring because it will spread into various neighboring countries and be used till canceled. This network provides crooks with the ability to use and share information all the while lowering the risk of being apprehended.

Smart group of people... :)

In the end, I think everyone should plan for such events because till you're faced with a complete credit blackout till new cards are issued and delivered, it poses quite a challenge especially when preparing to travel or are already traveling.

To ensure credit access, one representative did offer up the suggestion that keep one card active but suspended from any transactions recording. When I need to use the card till my new ones arrive, I call the issuer and tell them an authorized charge will come from such and such retailer and they'll allow that charge but then shut the card down again. That's something I wouldn't have thought about and while it's a great alternative it has been somewhat of a pain booking my hotel today for SF.

A spanking is in order!

Hello hello!

So I am having a cup of coffee and waiting for some appliances to get delivered when I find out my dishwasher from South Africa was the wrong color and the big screen from Luxembourg was not big enough. Well, I did not have to worry about my coffee getting cold as just then arrived my manservant and a new 12 cup cappachino maker. Thanks Roman.

HAHA! I hope you enjoy the gifts as from what I'm told, they're quite stylish and are some serious name brand appliances complete with all the technology one could want with the assistance of my cards. :)

OH, you owe me a cup of coffee and I'll be expecting it with whipped topping!

Ask and you shall receive.

What is the name of the credit/identity theft security company you recommend that costs $12 monthly? Thanks for the wise advice.

I've always wondered if and when fraud would hit me so I guess better now than later. :)

The company that I have used for a couple years now is Privacy Assist and I can't speak enough about this service. Anytime there is activity on my credit report, I'm notified once it's registered via email and given the option to review the credit inquiry. I have found this to be very helpful because I can see things as they come in instead of going through my entire credit report line by line.

Highly recommended. Also, check with your bank because most of them will offer a very similar service as it's in their best interests to fend off fraud before it actually takes place.

I can't top your story, but Citibank ripped me off for 10,000 FF miles. You have to keep the account for nine months and make two online payments per month to get them. I did, but then they lied and said I didn't. You can't argue with them.

"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments."

James Madison, long before Congress sold out completely.

"Financiers are without patriotism and without decency."

Napoleon Bonaparte, long before the internet.

Quotes thanks to Steve Berry's new novel, The Paris Vendetta.

Guest LeoWalker
...while it's a great alternative it has been somewhat of a pain booking my hotel today for SF.

Go get an immediate secured credit card, like GreenDOT. They're in CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aide, Duane Read, Wal-Mart. $9.95 opens the account (which is immediately usable for purchases) and $4.95 "reloads" the account. Most places will allow you to put up to $500 on the card per "reload". Wal-Mart allows $1,100--though, I'd still suggest one of the other companies.

It's for this reason, as well as a few others, that I always suggest having access to a couple grand in cash. If you have a permanent residence, buy a safe.

Buy a safe. Build a moat. How do we protect ourselves? Well, fraud charges are always removed, so why pay more to have a cc? Sure , it is inconvenient when you need to fix things, but the real story is that most people never suffer this. I've had my wallet stolen twice- once from a gay gym in SF, once at market in Bangkok. Total loss to me- zero.

Thanks for the info on Privacy Assist, Romann. Definitely gonna check it out.

How was the thief or thieves able to obtain the "three digit verification code" from your cards. These three numbers are not coded on the card.

The three digit number is known by the bank or card issuer.

Could it be that the thief knew enough about you to talk his or her way around getting the code from the card issuers?

I can relate to your plight because only two months ago some crook got into one of my credit cards and charged up a lot of items.

Guest LeoWalker
Buy a safe. Build a moat. How do we protect ourselves? Well, fraud charges are always removed, so why pay more to have a cc? Sure , it is inconvenient when you need to fix things, but the real story is that most people never suffer this. I've had my wallet stolen twice- once from a gay gym in SF, once at market in Bangkok. Total loss to me- zero.

My primary reason was in the event that some government organization decided to place a freeze on your accounts. I hadn't really thought of fraud being an issue before...but I'm more concerned about access to funds being restricted. There could be numerous reasons for this occurring. It may not be wise to have cash on your person due to fear of immediate theft, but you should always have *something* easily accessible.

How was the thief or thieves able to obtain the "three digit verification code" from your cards. These three numbers are not coded on the card.

It's all a mystery at this point but from what I'm being told, my card was actually swiped at various locations which doesn't require the 3 digit security code. Somehow, these people were able to reprint a card with my exact name and CC numbers on it which is quite common.

Oh well. At the end of the day, order was restored and new cards are being sent overnight to me.

My primary reason was in the event that some government organization decided to place a freeze on your accounts. I hadn't really thought of fraud being an issue before...but I'm more concerned about access to funds being restricted. There could be numerous reasons for this occurring. It may not be wise to have cash on your person due to fear of immediate theft, but you should always have *something* easily accessible.

Having a stash of cash isn't a bad idea, particularly for those of us who are single and live alone. We don't have a partner to float us a loan when every card in our wallet is suddenly either not working or flat-out gone.

On a drive from Phoenix to LA a few years ago I got off the freeway at Palm Springs to buy gas and didn't have my wallet. Apparently I'd left it at the gas station where I'd filled up when leaving Phoenix. After a few moments of blind panic I started digging in the console compartment between the seats.

Lucky for me I'm sloppy about cash. I had enough crumpled up singles (change from drive-through windows) in the console to buy enough gas to get home.

When plastic fails or goes missing, cash always works.

Guest zipperzone
Cash ALWAYS works.

Best regards,

KMEM

Not always - a couple of weeks ago my partner was in the hospital and I went to the kiosk in the lobby where you arrange for the rental of a TV, Internet, phone. This combo was about $25 per day. I asked the attendant what they accepted as payment and was told, "everything except cash". Nice huh?

I can't top your story, but Citibank ripped me off for 10,000 FF miles. You have to keep the account for nine months and make two online payments per month to get them. I did, but then they lied and said I didn't. You can't argue with them."

Turns out that you can. I asked for a supervisor to review the case, and the next day she told me that I would get the 10,000 miles after all.

Guest greatness

YaY

I'm glad that you got your points back..

I can't top your story, but Citibank ripped me off for 10,000 FF miles. You have to keep the account for nine months and make two online payments per month to get them. I did, but then they lied and said I didn't. You can't argue with them."

Turns out that you can. I asked for a supervisor to review the case, and the next day she told me that I would get the 10,000 miles after all.

Not always - a couple of weeks ago my partner was in the hospital and I went to the kiosk in the lobby where you arrange for the rental of a TV, Internet, phone. This combo was about $25 per day. I asked the attendant what they accepted as payment and was told, "everything except cash". Nice huh?

I suppose there are exceptions to every rule. There are obvious times when a credit card works much better than cash. Deposits on rental cars can run several hundred dollars, if using cash; ditto a hotel room.

I am waiting for the day when one has to provide two forms of ID to use cash (that day may have already arrived in some instances).

Best regards,

KMEM

I am waiting for the day when one has to provide two forms of ID to use cash (that day may have already arrived in some instances).

Careful what you wish for, KMEM, it's already happened to me. And, even with 2 IDs, I had to ask to speak with the manager to get them to accept cash.

Archived