Hey, Zipperzone.

KMEM
This topic is 5272 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest zipperzone
With the Winter Olympics about 2 months away how are things shaping up in CYVR? Is it a big mess already? Give us a report. Is Whistler going to be the ski venue?

Best regards,

KMEM

I may be the wrong person to ask - I'm not a huge supporter of the Olympics, winter or summer.

My reason for this is that I feel they are an event whose time has come and gone. They are just too damn expensive to justify their continuance in today's world. By continually choosing a different city they cause the host city to build facilities that already exist in cities that have previously hosted the games. It would make much more sense to have a permanent home where once the facilities are constructed there would be minimal cost other than regular upkeep. We will be paying for this extravaganza for years to come and I for one don't like the prospect of my tax dollars going to pay for a party I won't be attending.

The IOC seems to be able to dictate to the host city all sorts of demands and we are supposed to jump to comply regardless of the inconvenience and/or cost. The security demands are absurd to say the least and the budget for security is around one billion dollars. There are some streets that are closed already - and the games don't start until Feb 12 - all in the name of security. Many small businesses will be unable to operate for a two to three month period which will quite likely result in bankruptcy for them.

Our major hospitals have announced that all but the direst of emergency surgeries have been cancelled for the duration of the games as the road closures will make it impossible to ensure that staff are able to report to work as scheduled.

The prices of the tickets (if you can even get your hands on them) are outrageous. The average person simply cannot afford to attend. There is a beer company - I think it's Molsons - who is erecting a pavilion in Vancouver to celebrate the hockey aspects of the games. Admission is $500 per day and if you want a pass for the entire duration of the games you will have to fork over $8500. For this you get to watch hockey on mega screen TVs and all the beer you can swill. Are they insane?

Another fact that can only make one shake his head is the Canadian Pavilion to be erected in downtown Vancouver. This is the responsibility of the Canadian Government. They have known for 4 years that this will have to be built. It is only in the past two weeks that they have finalized these plans and selected a contractor. The winning bid was from an American company and as you can imagine that did not sit well with a lot of Canadians. But... here's the funny part. The games are roughly 70 days away and they have not even broken ground or started to build the damn thing. Unless they are thinking "canvas tent" they might just be shit out of luck.

I could continue my rant for hours but don't wish to bore you. To answer your specific inquiry, yes Whistler will be the venue for most ofthe skiing with secondary events taking place on a suburban Vancouver slope (Cypress Mountain). As a side note, you will not be allowed to go to Whistler unless you can prove you live there or have tickets for a particular event. And I think you have to go by bus as they are not able to ensure enough parking there.

Chicago has no idea how lucky they were that the 1016 games were awarded to Brazil and god only know how Rio is going to pay for them.

Zip, I couldn't agree with you more whole-heartedly. The fever to bring the Olympics to DC crops up often. These folks don't get it. The prestige of hosting does not justify the expense, and to my knowledge never has. I think I recall reading somewhere that Athens said it would never do it again. And the traffic! DC traffic is horrendous on a good day. If the DC area were to host the Olympics, I think I'd have to start planning for an extended vacation just to escape the nightmare. I really like your idea of one permanent installation.

So right you are Zipperzone. The modern Olympics are a financial sham that places a burden on the “winning” city for decades. The IOC is rife with questionable financial practices and outright bribery of officials involved in the selection process. The games are designed to allow a group of international corporations, news media, and government bureaucrats to drain the public treasuries of country after country. Athletics is the secondary excuse for the gathering.

Zip-

Thanks for the reply. I already knew you were not in favor of this monstrosity but I still thought you would give a factual recount of the road blocks,etc., which you have.

While I certainly agree the whole Olympic "thing" has gotten completely out of hand, I also am so very sorry we cannot have the "games" somewhat as originally intended. It is a pleasure to watch the athletes compete (on TV) even though the judging has become obviously politicized. I don't have a ready answer but I can be unhappy the situation exists.

Again, thanks for the report.

Best regards,

KMEM

I am a great sports fan, but I dislike the Olympics. The concept of a good-natured sporting competition between countries is a sham, since the wealthy, populous countries have the same advantage they would have in a real war. In sports like basketball, hockey and tennis, the competitors are actually famous professional athletes, not the amateurs that the Olympics were originally supposed to showcase, and many of the so-called amateurs in the other sports are simply employees of the Olympic committees of their countries, abetted by shills from the sporting equipment and clothing manufacturers. Without promotion by the international media, which are only interested in making money from broadcasts, the whole thing would collapse. I find the "feel-good" aspect of the hypocritical "national pride" enterprise repellant.

(From an old grouch)

Charlie-

I certainly don't disagree with your sentiments but so long as every country can field their "pros" , then it can be a joy to watch the "best" that any country can offer. Some small countries can certainly hold their own, particularly when the topic is individual sports. It may be a slight advantage to have money behind a down hill skier but the individual effort most often shines through and wins.

I would applaud and support a "real" effort to have amateur sports and only amateur sports participate in the Olympics. I would love to know and support how this could be accomplished.

In addition, I would certainly relish all of the competitors wearing either nothing (my personal fave) or only a fig leaf during each and every competition. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Charlie-

In addition, I would certainly relish all of the competitors wearing either nothing (my personal fave) or only a fig leaf during each and every competition. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Well while some competitions would definitely be enhanced by near naked competitors. I am think hockey players, goalies especially need to cover up. Speed skates would get some nasty burns on their falls. Luge and all the other sledding sports might face some new challenges with naked competitors. Naked sumo wrestlers? who would know

Archived