Dog vaccinations

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 5296 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Because I don't want anyone else to experience what I've been through for the past few days, I thought I would get the word out about dog vaccinations and the possibility of very dangerous reactions and side effects. Although I am not a proponent of vaccinations (for humans or dogs), I am not against them either. I think the following information will save you, and your companion animal a lot of potential stress.

I recently had both of my dogs vaccinated and, although I stressed to my vet that I wanted the least amount of vaccine injected into my dogs, one of my dogs had a potentially life threatening experience. The vet not only gave every possible vaccination, but also included a new one (H3N8) for a dog flu (I think they are trying to cash in on the fear of H1N1). This is the first time that my dogs have been given a 3 year rabies vaccine and that is where the trouble stemmed from.

Three weeks post vaccination, my female dog (Bella) became lethargic, all of the pads on her paws became hardened, dried out, and cracked, and she couldn't walk. She also had a discharge from one of her eyes and then these horrific dark scabs developed over her face, ears, and anywhere there was a bone protrusion (hocks, joints, elbows). Bella would not come to the door when I arrived home, she wouldn't play ball, and she had a debilitating limp that changed from one leg to another. I took her to the vet and she also had a fever.

My veterinarian, having no holistic background, wanted to sedate her and cut out one of the lesions for a biopsy. Because I had not quite put the vaccinations and these side effects together yet, I began doing my own research and was alarmed at what I discovered. It turns out she has rabies-vaccine-induced Ischemic Dermatology . This is apparently an auto immune response to over vaccination and leads to a lifetime of problems (read on; there is a solution). This person's story saved me so much time and effort and I hope it will do the same for someone else: http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog4dogs/2009/07/01/rabies-vaccine-skin-reaction-ischemic-dermatopathy/

This what I didn't know that might save you and and your companion animals plenty of heartache. Veterinarians who do not offer a titer test cannot be trusted!! A titer test will d ( http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2008/10/22/titer-test/ ) will determine if your dog actually needs a particular vaccine. When a dog is over vaccinated, it is overwhelming for their immune system and, although they may be protected from that particular virus/disease, it will lead to other complications. Demand a titer test!! Many well informed groomers and boarding facilities will accept this titer test in lieu of proof of vaccination; well, because it is proof!

Through the advice of my holistic approach friends and acquaintances, I was told to immediately obtain these two products to remove the excess vaccine from my dogs system and to boost her immune response:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/vaccination_wormer_detox.html

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/bentonite.html

I firmly believe that these two supplements saved my dog's life! The scabs are already falling off, my dog's energy is completely restored, and her pads are healing well (by the way, I also put aloe and coconut oil on the pads of her feet); she actually was able to run in an open field today!

Whether you have already vaccinated with no obvious side effect, are experiencing side effects (please note the difference between side effect and reactions; one needs immediate attention), or are considering vaccinating your pet, please trust my word on this information.

I am convinced that most allergies and other ailments that lead to expensive and long term treatments are caused by over vaccinating. Big pharma and unethical medical professionals need to stay in business by keeping our pets sick (doesn't this sound familiar to our current human health care industry?)

These links will be helpful for further information:

http://www.oes.org/page2/18588~RABIES_VACCINE--Skin_Reactions.html

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/

I'm passing this information along so that nobody ever has to experience what I have just been through!

My current vet NEVER vaccinates without running a titer first. She also explains and documents exactly what she has administered. In my case, I have two cats, one of whom is almost 18 years old, and the county in which I live does not require vaccinations for cats. Thus, vaccinations are optional.

Based on my experience with this vet, I would always ask a potential vet to describe his or her philosophy on caring for animals. My vet offers accupuncture, Chinese herbal remedies, or other non-conventional treatments. Knowing that she offers these services makes me confident that she is doing the right thing when she prescribes a pharmaceutical treatment. At this point, I would not hire a vet who did not offer non-traditional medicine.

I hope your dogs get and stay healthy.

Vaccines

Sorry about your experience Michael. Glad your dog is on the mend.

One other thing that I experienced even with the basic vaccines is that some vets will say dogs should be vaccinated every year when really, it only needs to happen every two or three years with some of the vaccines.

Recently my dogs brought me a gift, a large dead groundhog, which they deposited in my living room. After getting the victim out of the house, I called local animal control. The animal control officer took away the groundhog and when it was determined that the animal was too decomposed to test adequately for rabies, I was sent notification that my dogs were to be quarantined in my home for 45 days. They were allowed out on a leash but they were not allowed to have any contact with other animals and they could not be off a leash. This despite being up to date on their immunizations. If their immunizations had not been up to date, it was possible that they could have been held in isolation at a government kennel without human contact for as much as six months. While this is extreme, this is the policy here in NJ. I only mention this so as to advise pet guardians to be aware of the state and local ordinances regarding vaccination of animals. Not vaccinating your pets to meet local requirements could have repercussions far beyond your thinking. When I called the animal control, I never thought I would have to keep my dogs in the house for more than 6 weeks.

PK-

Several years ago I had a backyard grass fire when I was at work (started by a neighbor letting a grill fire get out of control onto his lawn which then spread); the fire department came and put out the fire. I had a 20 pound mixed dog pet in the backyard which, fortunately, was not burned but plenty scared. A fireman picked him up and took him to the fire station. During all the hoo ha my pet very slightly scratched the fireman on the arm. This dog had never even snapped at anyone much less bitten them but the fireman's wife wanted to press the issue as a bite. His shots and records were completely up to date. Regardless, I had to take him to my vet and quarantine him for, as I recall, 10 days for observation. Naturally there was nothing wrong with him and he had done nothing except "scrabble" a bit when picked up. Still, it wasn't a pleasant experience and could have been much uglier if things had not been nipped in the bud.

Best regards,

KMEM

Michael, I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your pet.

Nonetheless, rabies is a horrible disease and despite several recent advances,

it is for all practical purposes, incurable. Hence the very aggressive animal

control practices you see mentioned above. And those were for vaccinated

pets. You can imagine what happens if they find out the pet is un-vaccinated.

Titers seem like a bit of a scam to me. If your pet has never vaccinated

there's pretty much no way the titer could be positive, thus they'd need to

be vaccinated. If they've completed their vaccinations, then they wouldn't

need additional vaccinations, so again the titer results are meaningless.

Now, if the vaccination history of a pet is lost or uncertain, then I can see

where titers could play a role to avoid unnecessary additional shots. Other than

that, I don't see how they are useful. Maybe I'm missing something here.

So sorry to hear about that experience of over vaccinating but thank you for bringing it to our attention. I a little one that experienced a bad reaction to a rabbies vaccine. I ended up taking him to the vet a couple of times before we were able to get it under control. Luckily his reactions were not life threatening. Moreso is was just uncomfortable for him. Your experience and research is very valuable to us pet lovers!

Archived