When 2 Wear Sunlasses

Mark Gordon
This topic is 5382 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I love sunglasses. Heck, I've got a whole drawer full of them. But what is it with people not having a clue when to wear them? The clue is in the name: sunglasses.I enjoy wearing sunglasses outside on a sunny day & through to dusk. They can serve as a stylish means to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays while giving the world a gentler hue. I can just about accept people wearing them in clubs, though I think it's rather pretentious. But outside when it's cloudy or raining? I see this all the time & it just looks ridiculous. You need a functional context for this accessory to work. Do these people think that putting on a pair of shades when it's raining will make them look like a sophisticated celebrity or something? AS IF. I'm also seeing guys wearing them at the gym. Oh and then there's my all time favourite: sunglasses at an art gallery. Please!

I love sunglasses. Heck, I've got a whole drawer full of them. But what is it with people not having a clue when to wear them? The clue is in the name: sunglasses.I enjoy wearing sunglasses outside on a sunny day & through to dusk. They can serve as a stylish means to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays while giving the world a gentler hue. I can just about accept people wearing them in clubs, though I think it's rather pretentious. But outside when it's cloudy or raining? I see this all the time & it just looks ridiculous. You need a functional context for this accessory to work. Do these people think that putting on a pair of shades when it's raining will make them look like a sophisticated celebrity or something? AS IF. I'm also seeing guys wearing them at the gym. Oh and then there's my all time favourite: sunglasses at an art gallery. Please!

Maybe some people dont want their eyes to be seen? Or maybe they just had lasik surgery LOL.

It really depends on where you are. In Miami, most everyone wears shades in the club. Whereas here in Dallas, people think if you wear shades in the club you are 'ugly' and hiding it. Ridiculous....

I think shades look good anywhere, anytime. Now I have a pair of really dark shades that really arent good to wear at night or under the shade, but they look so futuristic in the club, and everyone loves them. But its just really dark. On the other hand, I have some silver shades that arent as dark, so they can be worn indoors, on a cloudy day, or at the club.

By the way, clouds dont block all the UV rays so its not so bad to wear shades then. Some people look better with shades than without. It depends on the type of frames, but most times guys look sexy with shades on.

gotta agree they look like dumb asses

One reason people, like me, sometimes wear sunglasses on cloudy or overcast days is due to medical issues. I have a condition that causes severe vision problems when exposed to bright sunlight. My eyes tear and burn to the point that my vision becomes impaired. Even on an overcast day the sun is still shining and glare still becomes issue. Glare reflected off the hood of an automobile for example makes it impossible for me to drive.

This issue has developed over many years and a pair of high powered Ray-Bans no longer protects my eyes from the various light spectrums they are supposed to block. Now I wear a specialized prescription lens sunglass that allow me to no longer feel as though a red hot poker is being jabbed in to my eyes when exposed to bright sunlight.

As my ophthalmologist explained, its very likely people who suffered with forms of this condition in less enlightened times may have given rise to certain legends from folklore. I hope this provides a suitable explanation for why some of us still need sunglasses on a cloudy day. :cool:

I've been told by MD's that regardless if it is sunny or cloudy one should always wear sun screen because the uv is just as bad when it is cloudy. So I see no reason why one wouldn't want to wear sunglasses when it is cloudy. Although I love the sun and all its glory it ages the skin so I see nothing wrong with taking precautions with sunglasses to protect the eyes which can probably be just as in danger of uv rays.

Hugs,

Greg

I've been told by MD's that regardless if it is sunny or cloudy one should always wear sun screen because the uv is just as bad when it is cloudy. So I see no reason why one wouldn't want to wear sunglasses when it is cloudy. Although I love the sun and all its glory it ages the skin so I see nothing wrong with taking precautions with sunglasses to protect the eyes which can probably be just as in danger of uv rays.

Hugs,

Greg

Totally right Seaboy! IF you wear Prescription Glasses and have a "sensitivity" to Brightness (not intelligent Working Guys) .."Sunglasses" should be worn outside all year round as in my case. ;)

Sensitivity

Clearly, there are people who have a medical need for prescription sunglasses. I have, on the other hand, been told by an optometrist that overuse of sunglasses can cause your eyes to develop an over-sensitivity to light. I think most of the shaded people I saw on the street this rainy day in Toronto are simply suffering from a misunderstanding of style-consciousness & trying a bit too hard.

Guest zipperzone
Clearly, there are people who have a medical need for prescription sunglasses. I have, on the other hand, been told by an optometrist that overuse of sunglasses can cause your eyes to develop an over-sensitivity to light. I think most of the shaded people I saw on the street this rainy day in Toronto are simply suffering from a misunderstanding of style-consciousness & trying a bit too hard.

Perhaps they were just trying to protect themselves from the glow of your glorious buns.

Now if its raining with sunglasses, thats just not cool. Water droplets all over the lenses makes for decreased visibility. Might have to use these...

http://www.seihin-world.com/i/04/12/wiper-m.gif

http://www.hmsltd.ca/content/384/76-3007.jpg

How 2 Look Silly: A Step-by-Step Guide

I whole-heartedly agree that wearing sunglasses inside, at a club, at night, etc looks silly. I looked silly this evening, albeit by accident.

I am very nearsighted and wear clear prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses that aren't heavily tinted. I put my shades on in the car, placed my clear glasses in the case and put the case on the seat beside me. I decided to stop for a bite to eat, so I parked the car and walked a few blocks to the restaurant. The restaurant's lights were turned off when I arrived and I sat by the window and read my newspaper. I was almost finished eating when I realized that despite the lights having been turned on, it was dark and everything looked funny. It was then that I realized I was wearing my sunglasses the entire time. Of course, I thought about this thread and quietly laughed to myself.

I don't like to wear sunglasses because then I can't bat my pretty eyes at men when I flirt. :p

So true. Clear lenses are much better.

http://www.makeup.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dame_edna1_narrowweb__300x4520.jpg

Archived