Will it ever fly?

glutes

So, Boeing management, was it worth it? You cut corners on safety because Airbus had their aircraft out first. How many Max deliveries will it take for the profits to cover the judgements and fines that are coming?

Let’s see accountability at the top.

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-04-04-Boeing-CEO-Dennis-Muilenburg-Addresses-the-Ethiopian-Airlines-Flight-302-Preliminary-Report

Boeing is cutting production of the 737 MAX from 52 to 42 per month. Next stop - zero?

Worldwide civil aviation authorities will demand their own, extensive proof that the 737 MAX with software upgrades is airworthy. Meanwhile, Boeing loses about $2 billion per month on payment schedules on current orders....'cause the planes are grounded.

Longer term, the plane is inherently unstable, you can’t continually rely on software to overcome the laws of physics and aerodynamics.

Boeing is cutting production of the 737 MAX from 52 to 42 per month. Next stop - zero?

Worldwide civil aviation authorities will demand their own, extensive proof that the 737 MAX with software upgrades is airworthy. Meanwhile, Boeing loses about $2 billion per month on payment schedules on current orders....'cause the planes are grounded.

Longer term, the plane is inherently unstable, you can’t continually rely on software to overcome the laws of physics and aerodynamics.

You may be right. If so, I suppose you should short BA.

They are down about 2% after market so far...this may be your chance!

I'm not betting on that however. They are slowing production to avoid a traffic jam. They have an order backlog of 5,000 planes. And worldwide civil aviation authorities will demand nothing; almost all have reciprocal certification agreements. That's why the Airbus jets don't have to complete independent FAA certification procedures.

Hey Maxie, you'd think they'd increase production due to the short shelf life of the current ones in use...

So you're not going to short BA? I sure wish you would.

I guess we'll know which of us is right in a few years. Until then, be sure to avoid those crazy Boeing planes.

You know what, guys? I think you’re right. Let’s all short BA and watch the stock crash together. We’ll make millions!

To our friends at the SEC: I’m just entertaining these xxxx While I may or may not buy new or additional BA shares, I am in no way attempting to actually influence the market for this security.

You're probably right that in the long run this is just a blip and it's advantageous to buy Boeing stock now while it's cheap in the expectation that it will recover. That doesn't mean Boeing isn't facing some real problems now or that the self-administered safety program isn't worth taking a look at.

It may be useful to keep in mind that it took two plane crashes and people dying to provide you with this investment opportunity. Consistently defending Boeing on top of that just makes you seem close-minded and deaf to the possibility that allowing self-inspections on major issues as opposed to more minor technical things is a conflict of interest that human beings may take advantage of. Furthermore, if the problem is a lack of expertise in the FAA, maybe the solution is investing in people with technical knowhow and actually have the government do inspections instead of assuming the manufacturer will always be thorough or forthcoming.

So you're not going to short BA? I sure wish you would.

I guess we'll know which of us is right in a few years. Until then, be sure to avoid those crazy Boeing planes.

Boeing shares fall 4% after Bank of America downgrades stock on 737 Max production delays

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/08/boeing-shares-fall-4percent-after-bank-of-america-downgrades-stock-on-737-max-production-delays.html

Will be a simple software fix, if nothing else to simply disable that system while sorting out issues. Wish I'd caught BA when stock was down at open yesterday. Still hopeful that the FAA will down them in US and present another buying opportunity. (March 12, 2019)

Maxy, did you buy long or short ?

Edited by Oaktown

It may be useful to keep in mind that it took two plane crashes and people dying to provide you with this investment opportunity. Consistently defending Boeing on top of that just makes you seem close-minded and deaf to the possibility that allowing self-inspections on major issues as opposed to more minor technical things is a conflict of interest that human beings may take advantage of. Furthermore, if the problem is a lack of expertise in the FAA, maybe the solution is investing in people with technical knowhow and actually have the government do inspections instead of assuming the manufacturer will always be thorough or forthcoming.

I'm neither closed minded, nor deaf. And there is not a lack of expertise at FAA. This was a design decision that was wrong in retrospect. They will overcome it and be better in the long run.

I actually did buy this morning when they were down about 4%, they've fallen a bit more since. BofA new price target is $420, BA currently about $375 with 2% dividend yield so I'm comfortable with decision. Check with me in a decade and we'll see how things are going.

And to be clear, I don't ever invest much in an individual stock. I'm not good enough at it to enjoy taking the risk (and would argue that no one is). It's just a game.

So, @Oaktown did you short it?

I am not in this game, at least with BA.

Very little doubt that is the smart strategy. I don't often buy individual stocks, don't manage the majority of my investments regardless and treat it as a game. I like my odds on this one though.

I'm wondering if the title of this thread should be changed to: "Will it ever fly, again?"

How we doin' Maxy, you gonna be part of the of the class action?

From Reuters:

Boeing's legal troubles grew Tuesday as a new lawsuit accused the company of defrauding shareholders by concealing safety deficiencies in its 737 MAX planes before two fatal crashes led to their worldwide grounding.

The proposed class action filed in Chicago federal court seeks damages for alleged securities fraud violations, after Boeing's market value tumbled by $34 billion within two weeks of the March 10 crash of an Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX.

Chief Executive Dennis Muilenburg and Chief Financial Officer Gregory Smith were also named as defendants.

Boeing spokesman Charles Bickers had no immediate comment.

According to the complaint, Boeing "effectively put profitability and growth ahead of airplane safety and honesty" by rushing the 737 MAX to market to compete with Airbus SE, while leaving out "extra" or "optional" features designed to prevent the Ethiopian Airlines and Lion Air crashes.

I'm wondering if the title of this thread should be changed to: "Will it ever fly, again?"

How we doin' Maxy, you gonna be part of the of the class action?

From Reuters:

Boeing's legal troubles grew Tuesday as a new lawsuit accused the company of defrauding shareholders by concealing safety deficiencies in its 737 MAX planes before two fatal crashes led to their worldwide grounding.

The proposed class action filed in Chicago federal court seeks damages for alleged securities fraud violations, after Boeing's market value tumbled by $34 billion within two weeks of the March 10 crash of an Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX.

Chief Executive Dennis Muilenburg and Chief Financial Officer Gregory Smith were also named as defendants.

Boeing spokesman Charles Bickers had no immediate comment.

According to the complaint, Boeing "effectively put profitability and growth ahead of airplane safety and honesty" by rushing the 737 MAX to market to compete with Airbus SE, while leaving out "extra" or "optional" features designed to prevent the Ethiopian Airlines and Lion Air crashes.

Yeah, change the thread title!

But wait, this thread was started about the irrevocably doomed 787, right?

Might have to scrap that after all.

Re the MDL... I won’t be a part and if you had any clue about how the legal system works, you’d know that.

I bought with a reasonable understanding of the issues and did not participate in the $34B tumble. Of course, you didn’t have the balls to play the game at all.

Did I piss in your cornflakes at some point that I don’t recall? You’ve been a fucktard here for a while and I have no idea why.

Edited by Max

Boeing shares fall 4% after Bank of America downgrades stock on 737 Max production delays

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/08/boeing-shares-fall-4percent-after-bank-of-america-downgrades-stock-on-737-max-production-delays.html

Maxy, did you buy long or short ?

I think it's time to buy, sooner or later they'll get a new juicy goverment contract specially if they say something nice about the president.

I think it's time to buy, sooner or later they'll get a new juicy goverment contract specially if they say something nice about the president.

Down about 2% since I bought. May wade deeper into these waters tomorrow. Betting against either member of a duopoly seems unwise.

Will it ever fly, again? I say probably.

But will the flying public get on it?

American Airlines is extending cancellations for the Boeing 737 Max aircraft through August 19, a key summer travel period, as the jets remain grounded.

The cancellations amount to about 115 flights per day, roughly 1.5% of American’s total flying per day in the summer, the airline said.

Will it ever fly, again? I say probably.

But will the flying public get on it?

American Airlines is extending cancellations for the Boeing 737 Max aircraft through August 19, a key summer travel period, as the jets remain grounded.

The cancellations amount to about 115 flights per day, roughly 1.5% of American’s total flying per day in the summer, the airline said.

Naah. No one will ever get on a future 737 Max flight. It’s a bad design that cannot be fixed. Same thing doomed the Concorde.

Now, where do I find the roll eyes emoji?

Interestingly, airline profits may increase as fares likely will given the limitation on ASM growth.

Change nothing, paint them gold and call them The Trump Max.

That way, buyers will know exactly what they're getting!

[uSER=25073877]Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump[/uSER]

What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name. No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?

3:29 AM - 15 Apr 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1117736685721223168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1117736685721223168&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawstory.com%2F2019%2F04%2Finternet-scorches-trump-lighthearted-tweet-boeing-plane-crashes-whole-lot-people-died%2F

No product has suffered like this one.

Tylenol has killed more people in the time the 737 has been flying than the airplane has. It's done that for decades and still is on store shelves. Same for doctors, firearms, cars, single engine piston aircraft, alcohol, tobacco, suicide and high fructose corn syrup. The list is long.