The New Star Trek Movie

uwsman2
This topic is 5493 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OMG - So many hot young men in this new Star Trek movie. I thought that the young guys playing the leads (Kirk and Spock) were pretty hot - but the guy playing Pavel Chekov sent me into orbit. How cute can you get??? I found Eric Bana practically unrecognizable with the skinhead/tattoo look...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"No hablo Klingon."

Probably the only person in the world who never watched Star Trek. I know who the main characters are, but that's it. How important is that to enjoying the movie? I'm going to see it anyway because of the eye candy and ILM special effects.

Just wondering if I'll get lost. http://www.smileyhut.com/confused/confused1.gif

Probably the only person in the world who never watched Star Trek. I know who the main characters are, but that's it. How important is that to enjoying the movie? I'm going to see it anyway because of the eye candy and ILM special effects.

Just wondering if I'll get lost. http://www.smileyhut.com/confused/confused1.gif

I am not trying to be offensive--but can I ask how old you are--just round figures if you don't want to spell it out. The reason I am asking is if you are from the US--and grew up in the mid 60's and watched TV--I don't see how you could have missed Star Trek. Of course I find out all the time that there are apparently a lot more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in mine or Horatio's philosophies. I was 5 when it 1st came out--and I think I remember watching on my parents' old, small black and white TV.

Can I ask about other series from the 60's--Bewitched, I Dream of Genie, Lost In Space--if you give me some time I can think of more.

As for whether you need to be familiar--I think you will be fine if you don't have a background--I mean there are things that you will miss not knowing "TOS" = The Original Series--but they aren't really crucial to the plotline.

Gman

This move is a "reboot" to launch the franchise all over again. You won't need to know the last 40 years of Star Trek lore to follow the storyline. I've not seen it yet and am going to wait till next weekend after the inital opening when the crowds are a bit lower.

I'm curious to see the hard core fanboy reation. Sometimes SciFi fans can get really worked up about their favorite fantasy lore and get into flame wars over minor issues. (Um...not unlike around here at times. ;) )

The movie was fantastic. And no, you don't need to be a star trek groupie to love this film. But those groupies will be very pleased with the creative linkages that did in the movie. But the time travel element (without giving anything away) helps with the re-boot and provides for an entire new universe for them to work with.

Some really small thing that only a trekker would recognize - when they had their first away mission the guy in the red shirt was killed. That always happened in the original series - the third guy on the away mission who was always in the red shirt bit the dust. . .

I seem to remember another thing that took up much of the 60's for many of us. It was a little altercation history calls the Vietnam War. And whether you were a soldier or a protester, it occupied an inordinate part of your psyche for at least the last half of the 60's. At least it did mine.

The 60's

I seem to remember another thing that took up much of the 60's for many of us. It was a little altercation history calls the Vietnam War. And whether you were a soldier or a protester, it occupied an inordinate part of your psyche for at least the last half of the 60's. At least it did mine.

I was in college in the late 60's, and I remember that a group of us would stake out the least-popular TV lounge on Friday nights to watch Star Trek (it was almost a cult-thing).

And speaking of the Vietnam War - I remember the first draft lottery (my SOpohomore year, I htink). There were a couple of guys in my class who dropped out of college as soon as they found out they had a lottery number high enough to make their draft unlikely.

[God, I feel positively historical!]

As long as Scott Bakula is no where to be seen I will be looking forward to the Latest Star Trek! I could never see him in the Lead for the period of time he was! :(

IMHO of course Trekkies! ;)

Now JT, I have always thought Scott a hunk--and did you ever hear him sing? Great voice--has been on Broadway.

By the way--and this isn't really giving anything away about the movie--but the 1st scene where Nero doesn't talk to the captured captain--it doesn't really explain why. I wonder if there was originally a reason but it was left on the cutting room floor?

gman

I am not trying to be offensive--but can I ask how old you are--just round figures if you don't want to spell it out. The reason I am asking is if you are from the US--and grew up in the mid 60's and watched TV--I don't see how you could have missed Star Trek. Of course I find out all the time that there are apparently a lot more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in mine or Horatio's philosophies. I was 5 when it 1st came out--and I think I remember watching on my parents' old, small black and white TV.

Can I ask about other series from the 60's--Bewitched, I Dream of Genie, Lost In Space--if you give me some time I can think of more.

As for whether you need to be familiar--I think you will be fine if you don't have a background--I mean there are things that you will miss not knowing "TOS" = The Original Series--but they aren't really crucial to the plotline.

Gman

I have also never seen Star Trek...but am a big Howdy Doody fan. Incidentally, I am seeing Star Trek star Chris Pine in a live performance of Farragut North in LA next month. Co-starring is Mr. Big- Chris Noth.

Farragut North

I saw Farragut North in NYC on election day! And it was so exciting when they were announcing the state-by-state results during the intermission! And the "final" results during the curtain calls - the place exploded. (Well, it was a NY theater audience, after all.) Chris Pine in this show should be absolutely yummy. The guy is a hunk.

I was 14 when Star Trek hit the small screen in 1966 - and totally smitten. I identified completely with Spock, the outsider.... and my own little subplot had him getting it on with Kirk.... But I truly lusted for many of the young men of the Enterprise. And, as I said in my post launching this thread, there is plenty of eye candy. I don't think one has to be a Trekker to enjoy this, since the idea of the movie is to relaunch the franchise by introducing the characters at an earlier stage in their lives. But of course anybody who was/is a fan of the original TV series will have all kinds of thrills at the first meeting of each treasured character. The ones who are the most dead-on approximations of their TV counterparts are the actors portraying Spock and Scotty - indeed, the Scotty is totally uncanny. Too bad James Doohan didn't live to see this!

Guest Tristan
Mid 60's for me were college, Peace Corps, and grad school. Hardly ever saw TV. The 50's were my big TV years. Ask me anything about Howdy!

What was the full name of the character who was the princess?

What was the full name of the character who was the princess?

Princess Summerfall Winterspring.

Bringing us gently back on topic, I read that the Canadian version of the Howdy Doody show featured both William Shatner and James Doohan. Kowabonga!

Saw this movie today and at the risk of giving it the kiss of death, I really enjoyed it.

I agree that you need not be familiar with the previous movies although as others have said there are some inside nods to the series' history.

I also agree that the men in this movie are pretty hot.

I'm willing.

To add further coin to the phrase, there are several cuties in the new flick with whom I would "boldy go where no man has gone before." Although I cannot claim to be a full fledged Trekkie, I thought it was a good time and fun flick that kept my attention and set up the premise for future movies well.

I saw Star Trek film yesterday afternoon. I was unexpectedly surprised how much I enjoyed the film. The cast is terrific! I agree with everyone's comments that the lastest crew of the Starship Enterprise are quite handsome, and yes, little 17 year old Chekov is quite the lad!

But, didn't anyone else's gaydar rise up when a young Spock appeared? I had visions of him and young Jim getting it on in various Vulcan positions. BTW, it appears young Jim Kirk is quite well hung and that scene of his romp in bed with his boxer briefs showed quite a package!

Now, my question, why are there no gay characters on the Enterprise?

Also seen this weekend, "Angels and Demons." A good thriller. They must have spent a fortune recreating St. Peter's in Rome. It will be interesting to see how well the new Dan Brown book does when it is released in the fall.

ED

Archived