411 on San Francisco

SmallTownJohn
This topic is 8085 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know this has been covered before but I wasn't taking notes. Any input on SF hotels or anything else? My partner & I are playing on the web which usually leads to trip somewhere LOL Just thought I'd ask the experts:0)

By the way, going to hit the new Superman ride at Six Flags over GA on Thurs. WooHoo!

John

http://www.SmallTownJohn1.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you haven't been to SF before, take note that the many small hotels also tend to have small rooms. Sometimes a double can be anything from a glorified walk-in closet to a near suite (with the skew toward the former) in the same hotel---feel free to ask for a better room when you checj-in if what you get is not to your liking.

I've had very good luck with the Chancellor Hotel, which is right off Union Square (the rooms do tend to be small, but the service and location can't be beat). The Majestic is one of the places where the rooms vary a lot in size, it's away from the tourist areas, but near some good restaurants and in an interesting neighborhood (Pacific Heights). I've heard good things about the Bijou which is relatively cheap, although the rooms tend to be small. Also,consider the Diva (though the overdone interior is not to everyone's liking), which is on the edge of the tourist district on Geary (a few more blocks & you're in the tenderloin). The Washington Square in North Beach gets rave reviews and is in anintersting area, however, it books up way in advance. People I know have not had good luck with the Handerly, ewhich is near Union Square and in perpetual renovation.

You really need to decide what part of town you want to spend most your time in. SF is really a bunch of tiny cultural hot spots. They have the infamous Gay area (the Castro), the tourist area (Fishermans Wharf), financial / business area (Union Square), Chinatown and such.

As mentioned by another poster the Hotels in SF can really be lame, unless you are spending big bucks. Once you decide what area you want to stay in then you should look for a hotel. Also, SF is the type of city you really don't need a car in. Public transportation is pretty decent. In fact, parking at even the Holiday Inn can be 22.00 per day and the Mariott on Market cost me 35.00 per day.

With the above noted, I should point out I hate the city, find it hugely over-rated, too expensive, unfriendly, damp and cold constantly, too crowded, heavy on ego and run down. Needless to say I fail to see any attraction.

Cheers! Ritchie

John:

I second the Hotel Diva. It is pretty close to lots of things. They don't give you a bad time when a boy comes to your room. The suites are actually pretty large and sometimes you can get a really good deal on them. And the TV's all have VCR's (if you like to watch while you play). NobHill theater is also nearby, and if they have a cute headliner, you'll have someone else to play with! LOL

Guest desertdaddy

Hi John, Depending on where you want to stay, and what you want to do in the city, the Grand Hyatt on Union Square sometimes runs specials for $225.00 per night on the upper private "Club" floor - which includes breakfast and a fabulous view. "The Inn on Castro" is a nice bed and breakfast. BTW enjoy 6 Flags! Later... Buck

>>I second the Hotel Diva.

>

>I third the Diva for all of the above reasons and you can

>get bumps just up the steet on the street in the Tenderloin

>should you not have a local pez dispenser.

>

>Later.

Please excuse my naivete, but what are "bumps" and "pez dispenser"?

I am wary about walking in the Tenderloin although I consider myself a Northern Californian and a suave one at that. Thought I'd state that!

>You really need to decide what part of town you want to

>spend most your time in. SF is really a bunch of tiny

>cultural hot spots. They have the infamous Gay area (the

>Castro), the tourist area (Fishermans Wharf), financial /

>business area (Union Square), Chinatown and such.

>

>As mentioned by another poster the Hotels in SF can really

>be lame, unless you are spending big bucks. Once you decide

>what area you want to stay in then you should look for a

>hotel. Also, SF is the type of city you really don't need a

>car in. Public transportation is pretty decent. In fact,

>parking at even the Holiday Inn can be 22.00 per day and the

>Mariott on Market cost me 35.00 per day.

>

>With the above noted, I should point out I hate the city,

>find it hugely over-rated, too expensive, unfriendly, damp

>and cold constantly, too crowded, heavy on ego and run down.

>Needless to say I fail to see any attraction.

>

>Cheers! Ritchie

Although I don't live in my favorite US city but one hundred twenty-five miles south on the coast-- I've recently stayed in the Best Western Americana, modestly appointed, quiet and private, free parking, and two weeks ago they gave me a suite although I paid for a single at the business rate of $89 per night--. Use the net when booking.

I've stayed at the HolidayInn Chinatown and Financial District-- great rate but not that damn parking fee of 27 per night. I bitched three weeks ago when I stayed there. The Renoir is fine if you don't have an auto.

In regard to a hotel-- it's what's you desire. SF has many. Do Expedia, Travelocity, Hoteldiscounts.com, and there is a gay site that offers lodging; that's where I hooked up with the Renoir--stayed there twice--requested room that was up and on relatively quiet side.

I hope this helps you. The City has a plethora of lodgings; all depends on what the lodger wants and how much he wants to pay per night, excluding taxes.

The "Best Western" reminded me, there are several places that are often available but in odd locations. One is the Holiday Inn Civic center, which never seems full. It's on Market on the edge of the Tenderloin---a quick Bart ride from downtown or a trolley ride to the Castro and not far from SoMa (south of Market). There's a Starbuck very close by, as well as a nice Walgreen drug store (for all the stuff you forgot to bring). There's also a Ramada further down Market which get good reviews (which ramada's rarely do). The immediate neighborhood is otherwise pretty downscale. Fun fact--these hotels near the corner of Market & Van Ness which is the geographic epicenter of SF's HIV epidemic (and home of the dept of public health). Up Van Ness are the Cathedral Hill (a huge tourist class place---not bad, not great, at least the rooms are decent sized) and another Holiday Inn, which has a Starbucks and lousy restaurant.

Near the Americana is the Powell, a smaller hotel that used to be a bargain, but now probably costs at least the same as the Best Western.

Expect a lot of Eurotrash in the less expensive, smaller hotels. Even before the internet, they had a real underground following with that crowd; they're probably in all the German and French guidebooks.

Guest bottomboykk

When I was there a few years ago, I lucked out on a nice little hotel that had reasonable prices: The Hotel Bijou. It's a movie-palace-themed hotel that's quite charming. They were starting major renovations while I was there, so I haven't experienced its new look, but on the web site (http://www.hotelbijou.com/) it looks good. The people there were great, and very accommodating. I highly recommend it, and plan on staying there next time I'm in town (hopefully soon!)

The Renoir is conveniently located at 7th and Market. The neighborhood is downscale, but it's right at the Civic Center BART/Muni station, and has a bus/streetcar stop right outside the door, so getting around couldn't be easier. On the ground floor is the Café do Brasil, so that also is a plus in my book! ;) And the hotel management is more than gay-friendly. . .

The Holiday Inn Civic Center is on 8th St. near Market, and the Ramada is on Market at 8th. I'd bet there are deals on their websites. Any of the above three hotels are convenient to transportation and to South of Market venues.

There's also the eternal Beck's Motor Lodge up in the Castro. It looks like it was recently repainted; I don't know if that also means the rooms have been refurbished.

Although the Diva has several raves here, I have not had good luck there. The room was so small I could hardly walk around the bed and they were full so couldn't wouldn't move me to larger. The location is great however. Best value as far as accomodations if you have a car are some of the places on Lombard, the part that's 101, but they are quite a ways from anywhere if you don't. They had free parking and the rooms were large and nice, its been awhile, Cow Hollow maybe? There were a few that looked almost identical. By the way, if you are just "doing San Francisco" don't rent a car. Bart, Muni(buses, trolleys and of couse the Cable Cars), taxi, and your 2 feet are the best transport in the city. Parking downtown is expensive and difficult. Downtown, I shop for the best rate at the Hilton, Marriott, Grand Hyatt, St Francis or Niko, sometimes you can get really good rates, if there's a big convention though forget it. They are all close enough together that it really makes little difference which one you stay at. Last time I was there I stayed at the Stanford Court, which is probably the closest major hotel to the Nob Hill. Very nice room, front desk maybe a little too nosy, actually announced my masseur, but he still made it up :) and we had a very good time.

Guest Ant415

Trav,

Were you laying down the wrong way?

This hotel is on Geary street... one block up and you are in Nob Hill. You must walk one block down to get some bumps.

Guest Ant415

for cheap stay, check out Pacific Motor Lodge, on Broadway. North end of China town. Is clean, simple, motel like. Usually is about $80 a night for a double. Bit far from gay stuff, but SF is so compact a taxi ride costs nothing.

If want to slum it, there are two places on Market stret, close to the Castro area. Twin Peaks Inn, and Pensione San Francisco. Cost is approx $55 a night, but shared bath.

Also do priceline.com. Get any major Union Sq hotel for apprx $80, with prepayment.

Guest pshaw

Years ago my boyfriend of the time and I stayed at the Hotel David (800-524-1888) at 480 Geary (near Union Square). The place wasn't fancy but perfectly fine. I noticed that the rates are still fairly reasonable ($69 single/$89 double). One of the advantages then was that the price included breakfast AND dinner at the pricey David's Delicatessan (quite authentic deli food). We never availed ourselves of the dinner option, but the breakfasts were HUGE and the BF and I both left town a few pounds heavier (too many blintzes). The price still includes a full breakfast.

The Hotel Diva is only a few doors down and it looked quite nice from the outside. The rates are fairly reasonable at $115-$135 for a single/double.

San Francisco

The Travellodge right on market street is clean, cheap -- very close to MUNI metro for traveling to museums, the gay section, etc. And close enough to Bart. You can also walk to the Symphony, Opera, etc. If you wanted to stay in the Castro, there is Beck's motor lodge, but that is far from necessary. It is clean, the last time I was inside a room in 2000, they were refurbished but they were acceptable.

The point of making sure the room is clean and acceptable before you sign in is an excellent one as is checking tevelocity as well as expedia. Look into bargain rooms on priceline as well. I ALWAYS underbid.

If you cannot be with the one you love, walk up Larkin to Post and hire someone for $13.44 and a warm cup of joe.

RE: San Francisco

Of the hotels/motels around the Civic Center and Van Ness/Market area, I agree that the Travel Lodge is the best in terms of location. The problem with staying in a hotel at 7th or 8th Street is that while their locations are convenient, you really won't want to just take a stroll in the neighborhood around your hotel. The Travel Lodge at Valencia and Market is a few blocks closer to the Castro, two blocks from the Muni underground, and has a trolley stop across the street. There is also a good new cafe (De Lossio) with good pastries and coffee in the morning and good sandwiches and soups at lunch. There is also a popular bar across the street (Martuni) which has an extensive (and excellent) Martini menu.

I would echo the advice that you need to decide how much time you will be in SF itself and how much time you will want to be out of the city. If your intent is to remain within the city, having a car is definitely more of a hassle than it's worth (though if you stay somewhere like the Travel Lodge with lots of parking available, you might choose to have one anyway). Getting around the city on Muni and by walking is quite easy. If you only plan to venture out of the city for one or two days, you can rent a car for just those days. There are several ways to get into the city from SFO International Airport (or Oakland's airport), from the very inexpensive SamTrans bus (about $1.50 per person) to an airport shuttle ($17.50 per person) to a taxi (probably about $45 now).

Guest Thunderbuns

RE: San Francisco

>There is also a popular bar

>across the street (Martuni) which has an extensive (and

>excellent) Martini menu.

I hope this was said tongue in cheek - so to speak.

I hate Martini menus as they are totally unnecessary. The only martini worthy of the name is gin, an ever so slight mist of vermouth and an olive. (Twist of lemon turns it into a lemonade and leaves an oily film on the gin)

All these "designer" martinis that seem to be all the rage right now are strictly for country bumpkins in the big city to gape and stare.

IMHO

Thunderbuns

Hello John:

I found a really nice family owned boutique hotel (bed and breakfast) on Bush street two doors away from the Nob Hill Theatre. Several of the dancers at the Nob Hill have stayed there over the years. The hotel is called the Golden Gate and it is small maybe six or eight rooms per floor and maybe only six floors.

The German family owners are very nice and turn their heads when older gentlemen are accompanied by hot, gorgeous twinks.

I stay here when I want to relax. I stay at the larger Nob Hill hotels when I splurge.

Hurry to H-town.

H B:-)

What about the Biltmore? I made reservations there because I am going to be there the last week of April. The rates were reasonable -79 per night and it is in a nice area. It was listed as a 3 star hotel. Anybody know anything about that place? Should I keep my reservations or should I go somewhere else?

Archived