How is Montreal without Stock

DallasTony
This topic is 6560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I paid a visit to Campus on Friday evening, my first since the fire at Stock. I arrived at 8:30pm and found the place really hopping. I was told by the first dancer I spoke with (someone who is one of my favorite Campus dancers) that there were 50 dancers, so many that he didn't know when or if he would get to dance onstage. He also said the DJ was making out like a bandit since he is paid $10 by each dancer and also receives more $$ from dancers that want to skip their routine or leave early (usually with a client in tow).

The place was full of former Stock dancers and I got to see the infamous "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" do his stuff on stage (over-rated in my opinion but I can see how some are attracted to the gelled hair, hairless body, shaved I assume, and somewhat androgynous look). Unfortunately his stage dance was immediately following Lance, whose fully erect dick makes most other dancers, including Eddie, seem less gifted in that respect.

Regarding the situation from the client's perspective, there certainly is a far greater choice because of this situation at Stock. On a night when there are lots of customers, such as last Friday, this would seem to be a plus. On nights when there are fewer clients, it might make the dancers a little more aggressive in pursuing lapdances.

One thing I am looking forward to is the banning of smoking in two weeks time in all bars and restaurants in Quebec. I always hate it when I come home and my clothes reek of cigarette smoke.

BigGuy, in response to your 2 questions, I can't tell you whether the Stock dancers are asking for $20 but the Campus dancers are still only charging $10 and that is what my dancer charged me on Friday night and he really delivers at that rate so why would I pay any more?!!!

On the second issue, I find it hard to believe that the smoking will all stop in 2 weeks time. I see no efforts at slowing down, everyone is smoking up a storm in all the clubs and restaurants. I think enforcement is going to be a huge issue after June 1st.

And how do they enforce their bylaws? Given the way Montreal doesn't enforce traffic laws (jaywalking, speeding and running red lights are endemic), I have little faith that they will be any more vigorous about the smoking ban.

Anarchy in Montreal :p

The radio commercials are already airing in Windsor, Ontario informing listeners that Windsor will become smoke-free on May 31st.

Listeners can easily relate to the example used in the public service announcement of avoiding night clubs for fear of acquiring smoke all over your clothes and feeling dirty.

Remember, even though bars and restraun owners and patrons grumble about the smoking ban, studies have shown that in every city that has baned smoking, business improved in bars and restraunts.

If Boston, New York, San Francisco, L.A., Toronto and Chicago can successfully go smoke free, then I am sure that Montreal can to. When it is smoke free, Montreal will be perfect. (In Boston we jaywalk, and run red lights to. In fact I can't believe that jay walking is someone's measure of lawlessness.)

As a New Yorker, not THE City, but the State, I can give you evidence based on my observations here. People, meaning patrons of bars and restaurants and other public places will expect them to be smoke-free and will either complain or even better walk, with their money if they are not. It won't take "enforcers" to make the law work. WE, meaning the people who frequent the places, will make it work. I was doubtful about the sucess of the smoke-free laws working in New York State/City, but guess what? They do, and the idea seems to be spreading.

An aside--already in Montreal you can see along the streets people smoking outside of office buildings. Obviously the ban is already in place there or they wouldn't be out there in the middle of February :))

It'll be great to be able to visit Montreal and not smell like an ashtray when you leave the bars... but I agree with the poster above - Montreal is well known for their rampant violation and lack of enforcement of these types of laws. Its part of the culture!

Anyway... back to the original question... In my opinion, the Montreal scene just isn't the same without Stock. Yes, you can see many of the Stock guys at Campus and a few at Adonis but Stock was more than just the dancers, it was a great space, had the best private dance area and, at least for me, was far more pleasant and comfortable than the competitors. I just have a much harder time spending 4-5 hours in an evening at Campus being hustled by their regular night time crew just so I can see a dozen Stock dancers. I can handle Campus in the daytime but at night I find that it gets louder, ruder, smokier, dirtier and all around more unpleasant. It's also worth noting that many of the very popular Stock veteran dancers have decided not to go dance elsewhere for various reasons. On the plus side... I did go to Campus the weekend after the fire and while I found it very unpleasant I did meet a very hot Campus dancer (Mike) who I would probably not gotten to enjoy had Stock been open. Bottom line ... everyone has to decide for himself but I'm not going back til Stock reopens.

LustinGuy~~

I just came back from a weekend in Montreal, and your comments are "right on." I agree with everything you said--especially the description of Stock's Pluses and the difference in the dynamics at Campus now that so many dancers are squeezed into a small space. I grieve for the "back room" of Stock and the comfort of the various places to sit, not to mention the spacious bathroom. If you have ever been in Campus and had to use the "facilities" you will know exactly what I mean.

It was great to see some of favourite Stock Dancers at Campus, but talking to anyone after 9 PM is difficult and getting into one of the "prime" lap dance areas, next to impossible after 10 PM.

I also do not intend to go back to Montreal until after Stock is open, if that happens, and I'm hoping.

If you have ever been in Campus and had to

>use the "facilities" you will know exactly what I mean.

Samal, you have never been to the bathrooms in the upper level of Campus? Those are way more spacious than the bathrooms at Stock. You can even rollerblade there.

Groom~~

No, I have never been up to the third floor--didn't know bar patrons were allowed. So, I've learnt something new, AGAIN, on this site.

Thanks for the heads-up on that loo---I'll certainly give it a look see when/if I go back to Campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived