The demise of US strip clubs

KY_TOP
This topic is 6666 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am glad to that Madrigals in Chicago is back open. But it brings to mind the apparent assault or demise of US Male strip club. Even though Madrigals has reopened it still faces charges over dancers wearing g-strings. The Gaiety has left us and by now obviously will not rise from the dead. Secrets in DC is expected to be served with an eviction notice at any moment and like Denise and the G in NYC, does not seem to be able to find a suitable place to relocate to because of zoning laws. Wet in DC apparently has until the fall before it's eviction.

But yet female strip clubs seem to multiply like rabbits, what gives. How do the ladies get by with it and not the guys?

With the change in government in Canada, with our northern Brothers be next?

>

>With the change in government in Canada, with our northern

>Brothers be next?

>

G-d forbid, no. Thankfully 4 of the 5 male stripper clubs best known in Canada are in Montreal, a bastion of civil liberties and staunch defender of gay rights. Even the Conservative government would have trouble dividing Quebecers on this issue. Not that they won't try.

Going back in history, when Prohibition was declared in the US, many if not most of Canadian provinces went along with the idea but not Quebec. It toyed with the idea but even the Catholic Church was opposed and the temperance movement went nowhere. As a result, Montreal became a mecca for thirsty Americans seeking a little relief from the noxious laws in America that outlawed liquor.

Similarly, as male stripper bars disappear in America, I fully expect Montreal will retain its attraction to American gay tourists looking for what strip clubs can offer just 60 miles north of the US border. :p

RE: The rise of US strip clubs

When it comes to the future of strip clubs, I'm an optimist. I believe that when one door closes another door opens.

Recently, the NY area has seen the rise of several strip shows. Almost every night of the week one can find a club to visit.

Tuesday: Aftermath at Stonewall

Saturday: Man-on-Man at Splash

Sunday: The 20 Club, managed by former Gaiety dancer Tyler

Sunday: Buffboyzz private party

My concern is not that the strip clubs are closing, it's that people aren't supporting them. Without our patronage, they're not going to survive.

Out to the DC members. Why are those strip clubs closing? Does it have anything to do with a new stadium going up?

There are many new clubs opening up, but sadly, we're not hearing about them. Perhaps someone can post an update on XL in RI, and thanks to CEO for his excellent report on Boxers-n-Briefs.

>Out to the DC members. Why are those strip clubs closing? Does

>it have anything to do with a new stadium going up

Yes, the new stadium is going to be built directly on top of Secrets/La Cage and Heat, and stadium-related development (hotels and office buildings) will wipe Wet and Edge (as well as Nation).

I've heard that there have been some rather heated discussions about allowing those clubs to move elsewhere in the city, but I don't think any decisions have been made one way or the other. The city officials are probably hoping the owners will just take the money and disappear.

In my opinion, it's really just the end of a long decline that began when the last decent DC strip club (The Chesapeake House) shut down in 1992.

Sigh.

...Hoover

>>Out to the DC members. Why are those strip clubs closing?

>Does

>>it have anything to do with a new stadium going up

>

>Yes, the new stadium is going to be built directly on top of

>Secrets/La Cage and Heat, and stadium-related development

>(hotels and office buildings) will wipe Wet and Edge (as well

>as Nation).

I think one of the stadium designs has home plate right over the stage at Zigfields.

>

>I've heard that there have been some rather heated discussions

>about allowing those clubs to move elsewhere in the city, but

>I don't think any decisions have been made one way or the

>other. The city officials are probably hoping the owners will

>just take the money and disappear.

Its a total clusterfuck. I think the only area designated for these type of establishments now is the central business district. Which means the rents will be way too high for these places to relocate there. And there's a big NIMBY revolt about moving them to NY Avenue.

>In my opinion, it's really just the end of a long decline that

>began when the last decent DC strip club (The Chesapeake

>House) shut down in 1992.

Not just your opinion but mine as well. My fondest memories of coming out of the closet occurred there. (Whoa. Hot flashback.) :9

ArVaGuy

Archived