Montreal- new "Club Bleu" has problems already

imrthr
This topic is 7503 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello fellow posters: Although I am out of town on vacation, I still take time to view this interesting M4M bulletin board. Since Montreal is my favorite city, I also take time to read Montreal Gazette's on-line newspaper. Yesterday a long article appeared concerning Club Bleu. I have not seen any discussions on this board in connection with the article or with Bleu's problem. Therefore, I am including a copy of the article here. Anyone have any ideas what prompted this controversy? The timing of Bleu's trouble and Taboo's closing together with the changes in the bars seem a little odd, to say the least.

MONTREAL GAZETTE:

Drag-queen strip bar defies city

'He is breaking the law': councillor. Owner Peter Sergakis says show will go on, after filing writ in court to keep club open

ALAN HUSTAK

The Gazette

Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Nightclub owner Peter Sergakis has defied the city by opening a Gay Village strip club featuring male dancers and drag queens.

A city councillor yesterday threatened to shut the place down, but Sergakis has already gone to court to make sure it stays open.

The club, Bleu, opened Sept. 16 on the second floor above Sky, a popular gay nightspot on Ste. Catherine St. E., within two weeks of a highly publicized shouting match between Sergakis and Ville Marie borough council chairperson Robert Lemay over the issue.

Lemay told Sergakis he couldn't open the club because of a 10- year-old city moratorium on new strip clubs. When Sergakis launched into a tirade and complained about the ruling, Lemay had him evicted from the borough council meeting.

On the day Sergakis opened Bleu, his lawyers filed a writ of mandamus in Quebec Superior Court, asking the higher court to order the city to apply its bylaw as it is written. The writ argues that when Sergakis bought the Sky complex five years ago, he bought the acquired rights to the property as a strip club.

"We're operating Bleu under acquired rights; the building has had acquired rights as an erotica club since 1981," he said.

"I bought the building specifically because I had an interest in its acquired rights. For acquired rights to be extinct, a club has to shut down for a 12-month period."

Sergakis said that since 1981 there have been at least four strip clubs in the building.

He points out that as recently as last October, a city bureaucrat, Guy Bazinet, told a liquor licensing hearing that his strip club would get its licence.

Sergakis said he then closed the second-floor strip club in January to renovate it.

In July, the city invoked the moratorium and Sergakis was told he wouldn't be allowed to open.

"To refuse me my licence is unjustifiable, arbitrary and abusive," Sergakis said.

"It's totally absurd, especially when three other similar establishments in the area were given their occupation permits.

Bleu features male strippers and drag queens who take their clothes off.

Lemay said Sergakis is operating Bleu illegally.

"He lost the battle, we have told him no. He will receive an infraction notice informing him he is breaking the law. If he continues to operate, we will shut him down. He cannot continue to defy the law."

Sergakis said the club will stay open until the court has its say.

"We'll let the courts decide."

RE: Montreal- new

No, it's the same location, just different name. I have not visited Blu (that's how it's spelt on their promotional cards they hand out at the door to entice people upstairs). I didn't like Nirvana as it had a horrible layout (stage in the centre of the room, very awkward) and their dancers weren't my cup of tea. With three other clubs within walking distance of Blu, it's disappearance would not cause me to lose any sleep.:7

I liked the set up of the club. I liked the back rooms as well. But, I will agree with you that the boys there were not my cup of tea. I guess one of my main dislikes about Nirvana is that evertime we went in, we were about the only ones there. It had a feeling of emptiness to it that I didn't like.

>Hey Mark,

>

>Are you getting my emails. Have not heard back from you???

>

>Firecat(john)

Firecat: I have responded to each and every one of your emails... so not sure what is happening. And yes, it is true that when I send them, I usually ask you some questions, and then don't hear back from you! LOL

I will resend the last few... hoping that you do receive them this time!

????????????

Mark

>Hey Mark,

>

>Are you getting my emails. Have not heard back from you???

>

>Firecat(john)

OK... I just resent 4 emails that I sent to you over the past week or so and didn't hear back...

If you don't get those, we need to figure out what is going on! I certainly am getting yours!

Mark

My curiosity got the better of me last night so I dropped in on Club Blu to check out the scene. Frankly, it was just like the old Nirvana, except the drinks prices were higher (and noticeably higher than at Campus). The first two dancers I saw were former dancers at Campus, but the others I didn't recognize. There were NO twinks in sight (altho this did not upset me as I prefer the boys a little older). So no Taboo types.

Thursday night was possibly atypical because there were both male and FEMALE strippers performing (not drag queens as reported in the Gazette story above). According to one of the dancers, this will be the format every Thursday night.

Also there were no $20 dances last night as the club has not yet installed the necessary curtains or doors on the cabins in the backroom.

I didn't stay long and there was not much of a crowd at 10pm when I was there. I went along to Le Stock, which was packing them in. I didn't fancy my chances of finding a dancer to play with so I sashayed back to Campus where I found there were 21 dancers and probably fewer than 21 paying customers(just the ratio I like). Consequently, I had a wonderful time and got to try out one of the the new cabins at the far right side at the back (it's very private and a good spot for the $20 dances!

}(

Guest Tampa Yankee

>Thursday night was possibly atypical because there were both

>male and FEMALE strippers performing (not drag queens as

>reported in the Gazette story above). According to one of the

>dancers, this will be the format every Thursday night.

>

Ahhh... a versatile strip club. A silly attempt to broaden their business base or has politcal correctness come to Montreal? Silly me, Montreals first strip club targeting the bi clientele. :+

Consequently, I had a wonderful time and got to

>try out one of the the new cabins at the far right side at the

>back (it's very private and a good spot for the $20 dances!

> }(

Luv2play,

Could you elaborate on this comment that implies that some cabins are more private than others. I thought the purpose of all the cabins was to provide privacy. Thanks.

Assuming you are familiar with the general layout of Campus, I would say that there are three choices of cabins now, and some are more private than others, as some dancers will tell you. Depending on what it is you intend to do with the dancer (and that he agrees), the choice of cabins is critical. I say this because although the cabins are "supposed" to be private, if someone can see in, then there could be a problem.

In the large backroom, they have constructed cabins, some of which are very private, and others less so, mainly because of the location of the disc jockey and the fact that there is a place where dancers can stand up to talk to the DJ. Some cabins can be peered into by a dancer (or maybe even the DJ) from this vantage point. This should not be a problem but COULD be because, as I stated in another post here recently, two police came in the other night and walked right into this area although they did not stay long and they did not try to open any doors. However, at the time, I was sitting at the bar talking with a dancer and we held our breath to see what was going to happen (nothing as it turned out and I assumed the police were just checking to see that the doors were closed).

There are two other areas with cabins, one beside the pooltable (these are closed by curtains) and of the three, the two on the left are the most private although the middle one shares a space with the one on the right. Even if the right one is occupied, the center one is good.

Then last night I discovered they have built some new cabins at the far right at the back and the one I tried was very private and had very high sides (no transparent glass panels as in the main backroom). I had quite a show with a dancer in one of these cabins and felt quite secure in our privacy!!

Sorry to go on at such length but you did ask!

A $20 dance varies widely as to what individual dancers will do. You need to be clear about this as all dancers are responding individually as to how much they are willing to put out. It's just like being in highschool again!!!

}( }(

Hi Ky,

How long are you in town for. I would love to meet. Call me 514 5676610. Are you seeing Lucas this trip.

I have some straight friends visiting me this weeknd so I won't be available.

I just moved to Mntreal but am still in hotels since my loft i not finished. You cn aso reply to my email firecat3194@yahoo.com

Take care,

Fireat9John)

> But, I will agree with you that the boys there were not

>>my cup of tea.

>

>

>Well, Damien is there now.

>

>So IMHO, the dancer situation has improved!

>

>:9

Oops... if Blue doesn't have enough problems... I just spoke with Damien today and he said that he has moved to L'Adonis.

Guess I will not have to put up with the loud techno music after all! hehe

>Oops... if Blue doesn't have enough problems... I just spoke

>with Damien today and he said that he has moved to L'Adonis.

>

>

>Guess I will not have to put up with the loud techno music

>after all! hehe

I stopped at L'Adonis last night and noticed Damien was there and thought of you. I did not say hi he was busy at a table with a group of patrons and dancers. Reminded me of your old table at Taboo. Maybe Taboo will be your temporary quarters for your next trip. He is smart to have changed clubs. Blu Lounge very dead when all the other clubs were hopping and some Dancers there could stand to loose a few pounds. My waist line is better than a few of them boys. L'Adonis had a lot of Twinks and seemed much more friendly than my past trips there. I did not partake of any dances there so I'm not sure how the private area layout is.

>>Oops... if Blue doesn't have enough problems... I just

>spoke

>>with Damien today and he said that he has moved to L'Adonis.

>

>>

>>

>>Guess I will not have to put up with the loud techno music

>>after all! hehe

>

>I stopped at L'Adonis last night and noticed Damien was there

>and thought of you. I did not say hi he was busy at a table

>with a group of patrons and dancers. Reminded me of your old

>table at Taboo. Maybe Taboo will be your temporary quarters

>for your next trip. He is smart to have changed clubs. Blu

>Lounge very dead when all the other clubs were hopping and

>some Dancers there could stand to loose a few pounds. My waist

>line is better than a few of them boys. L'Adonis had a lot of

>Twinks and seemed much more friendly than my past trips there.

>I did not partake of any dances there so I'm not sure how the

>private area layout is.

Thanks, KYTOP: This is all good to know. I knew I would be spending time at L'Adonis after Damien told me has there... but I have never really liked the place, so it is good to know it has at least some of the flavor of the old Taboo!

Archived